My well-played 1984 D64

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Now that I seem to be able to handle imgur, here are a few updated photos of my 1984 D64. Haven't taken any since I joined LTG 11 years ago. This is a very well-played guitar, the only acoustic I've owned since I bought it new in '84, and I have played it a lot. I submit the fretboard divots as evidence...

There are more dings and scratches than the photos show, but it is structurally sound and sounds great. The "Z" on the back of the headstock means it's a "second" of some kind. In my case, I think (and this is only a guess) it is the fact that when I bought it, it had a repaired crack in the back, even though it was new. I don't know who repaired it, Guild or the retail seller I bought it from, but the repair is still holding up well after all these years. I had the top frets replaced several years ago.

I'm looking forward to The Guild Book Part II - and an updated serial number list. I had emailed Hans about this guitar in 2007 and he told me that even though Guild serial number records show 193 of this model were made, he said based on his research, D-64's are "a lot more rare than you've thought". Interesting!

XG1l9Qhl.jpg
[/IMG]

ugoKZlKl.jpg
[/IMG]

TGK0uDyl.jpg
[/IMG]

lWG0iybl.jpg
[/IMG]

walrus

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! I think that if I was to focus on collecting a particular era of Guild acoustics, I would go for early Gruhn acoustics.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That Maple Back has some beautiful wavy lines in the grain of it. Reminds me of an Hour Glass figure. That is one Gorgeous Guild for sure, Thanks for the pics!

TX

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, it's about time you let us lay our eyes on that beauty! What a great looking dread and I love that maple.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Walrus, I couldn't agree more. The D 64 is just one superb Guild Maple. IMHO, it just doesn't get much better than that. I love the back of the neck on your D 64. Stunning actually.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it's about time we got some newer photos of that beauty!! I love everything about it! You know I love a big, maple dread, and that one is definitely not something you see very often at all. And you got it as a baby!! That it's been played a lot is the best thing about it, that's why they make 'em!! Thanks for the new photos, walrus. I'll look at that guitar any day..... :encouragement::encouragement:

tommym

Reaction score
Walrus,

Do those tuners tarnish a lot? I have the exact same tuners and they seem to need polishing every 6 months if not sooner.

Tommy

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Walrus,

Do those tuners tarnish a lot? I have the exact same tuners and they seem to need polishing every 6 months if not sooner.

Tommy

Nope! They are still as shiny as the day I bought it, and I've never touched them except to tune the guitar! I wipe them lightly (along with the rest of the guitar) with an old T-shirt when I change strings...

walrus

tommym

Reaction score
Nope! They are still as shiny as the day I bought it, and I've never touched them except to tune the guitar! I wipe them lightly (along with the rest of the guitar) with an old T-shirt when I change strings...

walrus

Are those nickel or chrome plated tuners? Mine are nickel plated.

Tommy

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Beauty!

My D60 has the same style fret-markers. What other models did Guild put these on? Just (some of) the Gruhn / Walker era guitars?

Someone else will have to answer that! I've seen them on Gruhn models and on other D6X models (from the early '90's?), but that's all I know...

walrus

tommym

Reaction score
Chrome plated - that may explain it!

walrus

Good to know! I'll keep my eye out for a set of the chrome ones. Might never happen in my lifetime, but you never know.....

Now with the chrome version, I've seen this type of tuner in:

Nickle
Chrome
Gold
Black (chrome?)

Tommy

Last edited: