Nprsd!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
New Paul Reed Smith Day!

Hopefully, the pictures below work, I'm trying the imgur app.

I've been playing this for a few days, making sure it's a keeper - it is - got it used at Guitar Center, but will NOT be using their return policy! Great tone, particularly on "clean" settings, but it rocks, too, with really no feedback at a high gain unless you put the guitar right in front of the amp. Extremely versatile pickup settings, and the tone knob does not lose volume as you use it, although my attendance is to leave it b/w 8 and 10. I know it's not a Guild, but it is one of the best sounding electrics I have ever played. Spruce top, McCarty Archtop pickups. A 2008, and included some nice case candy, like the original hang tag, etc.

Seriously, this thing sounds great...

"Wide/Fat" neck, 1 11/16" nut width. Very comfortable for me. Bluesbird-ish, but a bit less "chunky". Unfortunately, I'm struggling with the '77 S-60 thin neck.

But for me, it is the comfortable ergonomic body shape and light weight that is the clincher. Like the S-60, sitting or standing (I almost always play standing) the rounded "edge" on the back of the guitar where it rests against my stomach does not aggravate my surgery riddled abdomen. And it weighs a measly 5.2 pounds! Excellent!

M9PRpol.jpg
[/IMG]

PshxQwy.png
[/IMG]

810jw8f.jpg
[/IMG]

walrus

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
No pics for me. :(

What model did you get?

I've never been wowed by the PRS guitars I've played but I know a lot of people are so I assume I've just had some duds in my hands and seeing as they were mostly GC wall hangers that wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't say no to a 513, though, as I think they're a very cool concept.

I met a guy with a private reserve who brought it to the guitar store in his car. Without a case. :cower: As it turns out he was a big-wig at the CNC company that PRS used so he got it for either cheap or as a gift or a reward or something. It was easily a $20,000 high-end instrument with ridiculous flame and over the top custom inlays that he drove home in the back seat of his car.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Forgot to say the model! Duh!

2008 PRS Hollowbody - spruce top, no piezo.

Weirdly, I can see the photos fine...

walrus

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice! Pics OK for me, too.

I briefly had a McCarty. Bought it off of Reverb. I liked the W/F neck and the pickups, but it was too heavy and it had to go.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Walrus! The McCarty has always been a cool model. Got a friend who loves PRS and he makes his Custom 22 sound pretty damn good as well. She is definitely a looker, Enjoy it in Good Health my Friend!

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
beautiful! i like how there are 2 knobs, and not 4. enjoy!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
beautiful! i like how there are 2 knobs, and not 4. enjoy!

Me, too! It's going to take time to get used to the pup selector down there, though. I keep reaching up on the upper bout!

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can see the photos just fine! Congratulations!! It looks great to me, but as I have no experience with any electrics, hollowbody or orther, isn't 5.2 pounds REALLY light? Golly!! Thanks for sharing the photos, amigo!! :encouragement::encouragement:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No pics for me. :(

What model did you get?

I've never been wowed by the PRS guitars I've played but I know a lot of people are so I assume I've just had some duds in my hands and seeing as they were mostly GC wall hangers that wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't say no to a 513, though, as I think they're a very cool concept.
Remember, there's a difference between PRS and Paul Reed Smith. The PRS are the lower end, import, models; Paul Reed Smith are the US made versions. I'm guessing GC mostly had PRS. Walrus' is the realeo dealeo.

(You might already know this, just double checking. Don't have any experience with either versions.)

kakerlak

Reaction score
Pretty! I wonder why PRS stopped using the old style tuners -- those are my very favorite locking tuners.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
This is the first time I've ever used locking tuners, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised - they work great!

walrus

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's beautiful! I've always wondered about those hollow body models, but I've never had an opportunity to play one. Congrats on finding an axe that speaks to you, regardless of where it comes from!

I must say that I've been pleasantly surprised with PRS guitars before, from high end to budget models. I think they're way more consistent than Gibson. I'm not sure if their guitars at all price points get PLEKed (doubtful), but I've picked up some of the S2 and SE models with amazing action and feel. I've been really tempted. Their hollow and semi-hollows are also right up my alley as far as size and weight, and I like that they try to depart from the standard "classic" shapes.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Remember, there's a difference between PRS and Paul Reed Smith. The PRS are the lower end, import, models; Paul Reed Smith are the US made versions. I'm guessing GC mostly had PRS. Walrus' is the realeo dealeo.

(You might already know this, just double checking. Don't have any experience with either versions.)

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think that's right. So far as I know the PRS SE are the import models and PRS is still made in the US. I think there's a less-expensive US-made PRS even. I'm happy to be corrected though. It's been a while since I looked.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think that's right. So far as I know the PRS SE are the import models and PRS is still made in the US. I think there's a less-expensive US-made PRS even. I'm happy to be corrected though. It's been a while since I looked.
My mistake. Although the Paul Reed Smith badged ones are certainly the upper echelon.