Heard This Piece On The Radio Tonight

crank

Reaction score
I was driving home and heard this on WNYC and the guitar sound really intrigued me. So I looked it up on youtube and lo and behold it is a Guild 12 string.

Kaki King, "Untitled 1"

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
She is using it with 11 strings. Never seen this before.
Markus :smile:

crank

Reaction score
John Butler, of the John Butler Trio plays a 12 with 11 strings. He uses the G as a single with no high string strung.

gilded

Reaction score
Looks like she's missing the high string on the low E. She plays that string a lot. My guess would be that she wants the bass note to provide a foundation without any double string 'shimmer'.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
I distinctly remember back in the spring of '73 finishing a music session at a youth rally in Denver with just 11 strings. We had 2 un-miked guitars and were having to play pretty hard to get the music to the 1000 or so kids in the room. In the middle of one song the high G string broke..... and kindly embedded the loose end in the back of my right hand! Very unpleasant when you are not in a position to stop & remove it.....

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
fantastic, what a great approach. that is a F212 or F212XL?

cool

wileypickett

Reaction score
It is a Guild F312. I was also on this bill (playing my DV72) with Kaki King and played her guitar backstage just before she went on. Nice sounding instrument! She'd just bought the guitar a few days prior to the show.

All my 12-strings are 10-strings. I don't use double courses on the B and E strings.

idealassets

Reaction score
No cracks at all in her guitar. She knows how to treat it right. Guitar is in perfect condition.

Also good at the primitive finger picking, you keep playing that celestial sounding vibe there girl.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I know a guy who plays a Rickie 12 with the unison B & high E removed. I think he also uses a unison G rather than an octave.

Kaki King is a heckuva player for sure.

-Dave-

jcwu

Reaction score
Looks like she's missing the high string on the low E. She plays that string a lot. My guess would be that she wants the bass note to provide a foundation without any double string 'shimmer'.

I looked again carefully, and if you watch the video full-screen and look from 0:45 to 0:55, you'll see that she has all 12 strings.

I'm not well versed with 12-string guitars, but it looks like the high string on the low E is really thin, and the high string on the low A is actually thicker.

But that is a captivating-sounding guitar, and well-played at that!

gilded

Reaction score
I looked again carefully, and if you watch the video full-screen and look from 0:45 to 0:55, you'll see that she has all 12 strings....

jcwu, you are right! Thanks for pointing it out.

wileypickett

Reaction score
The guitar played well and sounded good but it was not in "perfect condition" by any stretch.

But the condition had more to do with whoever was the original owner, as King acquired the guitar only a day or two before our show.

Her strings were a combination of electric and acoustic strings, with, as I recall, heavy gauge electric guitar strings for the low E and A.

No cracks at all in her guitar. She knows how to treat it right. Guitar is in perfect condition.

Also good at the primitive finger picking, you keep playing that celestial sounding vibe there girl.