Guild type

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It does appear to have B/S of a lighter colored wood than mahogany or rosewood... perhaps maple. It has Chesterfield, domed/paddle headstock, and plain dot markers, so it's not one of the "higher end" maples (G-45, D-60, D-65). Can't tell if it braced or has an arched back... Could be a post-'76 G-37 (earlier had plain Guild headstock) or a D-44M. The D-30s were introduced in '87... so had snakehead headstocks (?)... I am not really seeing the "flame/figure" I would expect in a D-44 or later G-37 (perhaps due to the video compression?).

OTOH, I looked at another video that shows the same guitar... still can't see the expected figuring in the sides, but can see their color a little better. The "butterscotch" color reminds me very much of the color of the ash B/S of my D-46. Ash has a very pronounced striped pattern, which I can't see in the video... but perhaps that's due to the quality of the video?

So, I'd narrow down to post-'76 G-37, pre-'87 D-44M, or D-46.

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, I'd narrow down to post-'76 G-37, pre-'87 D-44M, or D-46.

I think you're overlooking the mahogany neck.

I'm pretty sure a D-44M has a maple neck, and a D-46 would have an ash neck. I don't know if they made G-37's with a mahogany neck. I do know that my G-37 is maple.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I'm pretty sure a D-44M has a maple neck, and a D-46 would have an ash neck. I don't know if they made G-37's with a mahogany neck. I do know that my G-37 is maple.
Yep... the views of the neck were pretty fleeting... but it does look like mahogany. That would rule out the D-46.

It also rules out a G-37... early G-37s had mahogany necks, but the plain headstock. G-37s with Chesterfield headstocks had maple necks.

Early D-44Ms did have mahogany necks... I think the transition was about 1974. So maybe we're narrowing it down to an early D-44M... or not!

I was also trying to tell if the pick guard was tortoise or black... I think tortoise would fit with the early D-44M idea.

Added: There's an example of a '74 44M with mahogany neck on eBay now...

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

The D-30s were introduced in '87... so had snakehead headstocks (?)...
We just worked G-37/D30's to death recently, here
Yes D30's got snakeheads.
G-37s got 3-pc maple necks and chesterfields ca '75-'76, 'hog prior to that.
Didn't look at vid but assume it's not possible to see soundhole to check for bracing which would confirm or eliminate G37 or D30, since everybody who posted knows enough to do that.
WELCOME ABOARD, PLEIS!
G37/D30's are the essentially the same model, just got renamed in the '80s.
They have arched maple backs, and thus no back bracing.
So if you can determine if the guitar has bracing that would eliminate those 2. If it does, then it has to be one of those 2.
Ahh, I see Gardman has eliminated G37 based on headstock while I was composing this.

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
118_nacho_vegas.htmlE
118_nacho_vegas.html

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello Pleis,

Welcome! I believe we're looking at a G-37 from the second half of the '70s.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl
Dang Dave, thought you said it didn't have a chesterfield!
(thanks Antney for that additional video)
Pleis: if you weren't aware, Hans is the author of the Guild Guitar Book and is the best expert on id'ing these old gems.
We're and grateful and proud he's a member here.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello Pleis,
Welcome! I believe we're looking at a G-37 from the second half of the '70s.
Sincerely,
Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

I didn't know Guild made any G-37s with mahogany necks and Chesterfield headstocks? I guess I assumed that the change in neck and change in headstock occurred at the same time. Maybe an example of Guild using up parts on hand (mahogany necks)?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Guild made any G-37s with mahogany necks and Chesterfield headstocks? I guess I assumed that the change in neck and change in headstock occurred at the same time. Maybe an example of Guild using up parts on hand (mahogany necks)?

Also my bad for mis-reading your post.
Thought you meant guitar in vid didn't have a chesterfield.
This medical pot thing ain't all it's cracked up to be.
:eek:
:glee:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Have a closer look at the guitar; it's not a mahogany neck!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well Hans said it wasn't a mahogany neck. That doesn't say it's a maple neck. It might mean the neck is another "dark" wood, padauk, walnut?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't know... look at 4:35 in this video...

It was so fleeting and lighting so dark I couldn't tell. Looked "purple" to me which could well be what maple looked like under the lighting. And I'd expect 'hog to look darker, assuming it was the "wine colored" stain.
Unfortunately I can't "load plug-in" to view Antney's video to see if there's a glimpse of the back of neck in daylight.
Here's the link for the curious though, in case you see a broken link icon like me:
http://www.elmundo.es/especiales/aqui_te_pillo/118_nacho_vegas.html

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't know... look at 4:35 in this video...

Not really good enough lighting, but from what I can see there's not enough contrast between the body wood and the neck to be mahogany.

Well Hans said it wasn't a mahogany neck. That doesn't say it's a maple neck. It might mean the neck is another "dark" wood, padauk, walnut?

By looking at the specs. of the guitar I would say it is a ca. 1976/1978 model, which should have a 3-pc. laminated maple neck with 2 thin mahogany veneer strips in between the maple layers; so its actually a 5-pc. neck (not counting the extra wings on the headstock).

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl