NGD: Blue Starfire V

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Steve finally succumbed to my non-stop harassment and let me buy this magnificent blue Guild Starfire V from him.

Quick observations:

The Guildsby is SO smooth. I'm not sure if it's because of the design or the roller bridge (I'm guessing the latter), but man, is it ever nice.

The neck is even wider than my SF4! This guitar's neck is just a hair under 1 3/4" at the nut! I love blue guitars, and this one is no slouch to look at. It's damn heavy, though.

Thanks, Steve!

5D3_5663_1600.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh wow.... I have a fondness for blue guitars myself. You may have noticed. That's just effing GORGEOUS!! Congrats, G. I'm a tad envious although I probably wouldn't know what to do with that one... I'd love finding out!! :encouragement::encouragement:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
NGD, Blue, Starfire V...... I was all over that $hit!! LMAO!! Too pretty!! I just put my blue one down. Still enthralled with it.....

dbirchett

Reaction score
Thought you didn't like Bigsbys on Starfires or have you changed your mind? That is indeed a beautiful guitar. But then I am rather fond of the V.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is one cool blue guitar, congrats!
Decades ago I had a Gibson ES345 Stereo... the
blue guitar reminds me of it, similar body shape.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thought you didn't like Bigsbys on Starfires or have you changed your mind? That is indeed a beautiful guitar. But then I am rather fond of the V.

No, your memory is correct. I can also learn to change, even in my 50s. Besides, it was too pretty not to own and it needs to be reviewed. :smug:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats GAD! I have to say my Late Westerly SF5 has the same bridge and Bigsby on it and it is one of the smoothest I have ever played. So glad you finally got a chance to get your hands on a late Westerly SF5. They are some wonderful guitars and I cherish mine. Love the Blue on that one!

TX

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
All that beauty and a wide neck; sounds pretty perfect. How heavy is really heavy?
Looking forward to the write up.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
All that beauty and a wide neck; sounds pretty perfect. How heavy is really heavy?
Looking forward to the write up.

9lbs 6oz. By comparison, my 2000 Starfire IV weighs 8lbs 10oz. I'm guessing that's a good 1/2 pound of Guildsby Goodness.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Woohoo! Congratulations -- so gorgeous! I can't wait to read your write-up on this one GAD.

matsickma

Reaction score
So to ask a (stupid) question...
Want to trade that Blue Beauty for a late Westerly Blond? I'll even swap out the SD-1's with vintage HB-1's (or let you do it as I'm sure you trust your workmanship more than mine)?? 🙏
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
So to ask a (stupid) question...
Want to trade that Blue Beauty for a late Westerly Blond? I'll even swap out the SD-1's with vintage HB-1's (or let you do it as I'm sure you trust your workmanship more than mine)?? 
M

Nope. :nevreness:

Also, if I ever do let it go Steve gets first dibs.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans has spoken (written). The guitar is from 1999.

grayghost53

Reaction score
she's a beauty, that's for sure! congratulations. NOW all you need are a pair of Blue Suede shoes and watch out!!