Thread: What's in a name?

What's in a name?

This story or should I say observation could get pretty crude or vulgar but I think I can express it to satisfy the guidelines of LTG. We'll see!?

So today I was looking at LinkedIn and strolling through the various random people that showed up.

The picture posted by one professional gentleman included his wife and children. As I was about to scroll to the next person I noticed his last name. The way it was spelled was fine. The problem was the way it is enunciated.

So I imagined this guy must have been razzed quite a bit growing up; he certainly would have been where I grew up even in parochial school. I then began to think of his wife and family and wondered how they handle it.

So here is the best way for me to get to the point...

I imagined the husband and/or wife in a doctor's office and the following is heard over the intercom, or PA..."Mr or Mrs #oxhead....the doctor will see you now."

I think you can figure out what letter # stood for.

I'm not creative enough to make this up. And if Mr or Mrs # belongs to LTG my apologies.

M
    All Guild, all the Time.

Well, my neighbor of 15 years is Bill Sex. No joke. Originally from Ireland, has the brogue accent and all. Has a wife, and three kids, a boy and two girls, all out of college now.

The boy in Little League had "Sex" on the back of his jersey! The girls, I'm guessing , developed a thick skin.

Bill held a neighborhood cookout about 7 years ago, and correctly called a "Sex Party".

I asked him seriously one time why he never changed his name, and he said it's his name, his forefather's name, etc. Never even crossed his mind.

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Well, my neighbor of 15 years is Bill Sex. No joke. Originally from Ireland, has the brogue accent and all. Has a wife, and three kids, a boy and two girls, all out of college now.
    Bill held a neighborhood cookout about 7 years ago, and correctly called a "Sex Party".
    walrus
    Ever have his photo taken on the beach?
    I myself went to grammar school with a kid named Richard Lovejoy but of course we all called him Dickie.
    My brother dated a girl named Rose Thorn for a while.
    Those're my favorites, the humorous homonyms:
    Friendly Amy Abel
    Jay Walker man of a thousand tickets
    Ali Katz
    Bill Kleckter
    Rex Holmes
    Rob Banks
    JL Byrd
    Justin Case
    Joquin Cosayavnocar
    Last edited by adorshki; 08-24-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Don't forget Ben Dover

Ralph

I felt sorry for a girl in HS. Chris Seman ( Or Seaman ) . I don't recall how it was spelled, but it was in roll call every day.
    1974 Ovation Legend
    Walden G2070
    G&L Legacy Tribute
    1984 Ovation 1758 12 string
    2010 Guild F47R
    2013 Guild NS X175-B
    1998 Guild Starfire IV
    2008 Prototype D55
    2016 Guild NS X175 Sunburst

OK, I know how veers are frowned upon here, but I couldn't help but remember this Blues Name Calculator. It was posted quite a while ago, so some of the newer members may not have had a chance to check their roots.

BTW, my name ends up being "Skinny Fingers Lee", so it seems fairly accurate.
    Last edited by 5thumbs; 09-04-2017 at 12:10 AM.
    Rick

If you don't want dog hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.

'79 Guild D40
    '00 Guild DV52
    '68 Gibson B25
    '04 Seagull M12

Love it! I'm "Boney Back Hopkins"!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Immigrants to the US can have a particularly hard time. I used to work with a Korean guy named D*ng Suk-Shin (no joke). His parents had come over, so he went through the Brooklyn public school system as a boy. I can't imagine what that was like.
    Guild X-170
    Guild/Benedetto Stuart
    Guild Nightbird GG
    Guild JF-30 C
    a few other guitars :>)