Bluesbird fretboard materials

Guildocaster

Reaction score
Shipping - Blaine Washington Home - Pitt Meadows B
Guild Total
I currently own a Guild Bluesbird with P90's. I really like this guitar and now want to find a Bluesbird with humbuckers. I live in Canada and if I find one I plan to have it shipped to Blaine, Washington and bring it across the border personally. I need to know the fretboard material for the 90's and early 2000's Westerly and Corona Bluesbirds. All I have been able to find out is that it is Rosewood but I need to know what type it is i.e. to make sure it is not Brazilian due to the CITES restrictions. Thanks!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's not Brazilian unless it's a custom or one-off. Brazilian was too expensive/rare for guitars when these were made and wouldn't have been use at this price point. I could be wrong and Hans will straighten me out, but I'm going to bet myself lunch that I'm not.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ooh - I see you have a Setzer SSL! Green? I used to have an SSLVO. Loved that guitar.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure if this helps. This is from a 2002 catalog:

Guild-Catalog-P12-Bluesbirds-1600.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for that picture, unfortunately it just mentions that it is Rosewood but not the specific species. I agree that Brazilian Rosewood wouldn't have been used. If it was they would surely have mentioned it as a selling feature.

All the catalogs I have simply say, "Rosewood".

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, remember that all rosewoods, including Indian, are now covered by CITES. I'm sure it will be pre-dated, but you will have paperwork to deal with.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that picture, unfortunately it just mentions that it is Rosewood but not the specific species. I agree that Brazilian Rosewood wouldn't have been used. If it was they would surely have mentioned it as a selling feature.
I think you can take it across the border as you planned with an "instrument certificate" which allows personal transport of or any rosewood including Brazilian, it's intended for just that kind of use:
It's your personal possession and you have no intent of selling.
See this thread for the letter from US Dept of Fish and Wildlife detailing the ins and outs:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-Regs-for-US-citizens-Official-FWS-newsletter

I'm pretty darn sure Canadian regs will be very similar, but you can confirm with the agency responsible for CITES enforcement in Canada.
Here's the actual letter from USDFW, see questions 47-50, I think you'll be relieved at the answers:
https://www.fws.gov/international/p...appendix-II-timber-listings-December-2016.pdf