Fret buzz and tone

Antney

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about acoustic tone, particularly when strumming chords with a pick. I've always loved the sound of the Beatles acoustics...there always seemed to be just a schmidgen or 1/2 a schmidgen of fret buzz that made their acoustic sound so "beatlesque". Maybe it's just what i found appealing growing up, but I like to adjust my relief to give me ever so little buzz when playing. Does anyone else find this appealing, or is it just me?

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
As an inveterate tinkerer and sander down of nuts & saddles in order to get the lowest possible action, I can say without a doubt, fret buzz drives me crazy. I don't know how many bits I've tossed for being just -- that much too low.

But, hey, if it works for _you_....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Buzz no bueno
Nope. Buzz is almost always bad.

Buzzed driving is drunk driving, but buzzed playing is more fun!!
:glee:
Having cleared that up, I do recollect being quite fond of the slight buzzing that seemed to be an element of the "sitar drone" sound in '60's popular music, a prime example being the opening solo in BJ Thomas's "Hooked On A Feeling":

However, I think it's probable that actually IS a Danelectro-built Coral electric sitar:
images

as opposed to a guitar with its strings slacked off to give plenty of fret buzz on the bends.

Neat discussion of the "Sitar sound" in general, here:
https://allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=19591

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
I personally like just a tiny hint of buzz if playing very, very aggressively. But then and only then.

Neil Young used occasional fret buzz to his advantage.