NGD...the Wayward F-50r

Reaction score
Thanks to Neal sending it UPS, it arrived today without fuss or drama! (Thanks for the 'positve waves' Al!)
And it arrived exactly as described! Great packing!

As Neal had stated numerous times prior to selling it...it's a PLAYER'S guitar, not a case-queen collector's-item for investment.
And it's a damn nice guitar at that! It'll be perfect for gigging! And it was priced accordingly! Actually, I bet he's kicking himself for selling it at that price. Already had the K&K Mini installed, NH saddle, ebony pins, and came in a great Guild Case!

I checked it out, making sure to check out all the "flaws" Neal had told me about. Weather-checking is there...but the way the top now has a sort of almost satin-like sheen to it, you have to look for them to see them. Couple little surface divots, nothing bad at all, just normal playing out stuff. The hairline crack at the end-pin seems perfectly stable! (Gonna have my guy look at it to remove any doubt whatsoever.) K&K worked fine.

HOWEVER...there's NO front strap button!!!! DEAL BREAKER!!! (LOL...just kidding!)

I took off the strings, lowered the saddle just a touch, and installed a K&K sound-hole mounted passive volume control. Gave it a good cleaning and detailing and inspection, strung it up with D'Addario EJ16 PBs, and let 'er rip!
Man...what a great sounding guitar! Compares very favorably to a New Hartford build like in tone, construction, balance, feel, weight, etc.

And it's a great looking guitar! The inlays are stunning...the G-Shield is the slightest bit crooked, again, you have to really look closely to see it...doesn't bother me in the least, gives it character! Rosewood back and sides are gorgeous.

Needless to say, I am happy!!! Gonna spend a lot of time this week playing it, may experiment with different strings, might even try to put the strap button on it.

Thank you Neal!

Pics coming right up!

Reaction score
tk51mw5.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IofEd1H.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

wTfou1C.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

H8fJpr9.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Retro! Congrats on joining the Rosewood Jumbo Club! After all this F50R has been through I think we need to give it a LTG Mascot name and try to keep it in the hands of members if you ever decide to get rid of it. It is a one tough little soldier for sure. Anxious to hear what you think of the tone after a couple of days playing time, Enjoy it!

TX

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
After all this F50R has been through I think we need to give it a LTG Mascot name and try to keep it in the hands of members if you ever decide to get rid of it.

"The guitar formerly known as Spider"?

Great to hear another satisfied customer, Retro! And what better to hear than a player's guitar in the hands of a real player! I don't get back to SoCal too often, but next time I'll have to coordinate my itinerary with one of your shows! HNGD!!!

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations, all around! Great photos, too, RR. I went through a lot of popcorn and my nails are bitten to the quick on this journey! ;~}

Inadvertently, I am wondering if you might have just started a new trend for LTG where, in addition to hunting down and reporting offending upside-down Truss Rod Covers, we can now start policing:

Guild Logo Placement Accuracy (GLPA ???) or, perhaps Guild Logo Positioning (GLP ???). Or maybe Guild Logo Alignment (GLA ???)

This could go on for hours. And think how much fun all that wild speculation is going to be, reviewing thousands of photos?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris, I think you love acronyms even more than I do. That's saying something. I'm not sure what, but definitely something.

;)

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Chris, I think you love acronyms even more than I do. That's saying something. I'm not sure what, but definitely something.

;)
Thanks, Charlie. I will take all the "somethings" I can get, and think of them positively.
ccozad-smiley.gif

WLA (We Love Acronyms).

Opsimath

Reaction score
Congratulations Retro. It's a beautiful guitar and not hard to see why the guy didn't want to rush back to the PO and return it - even though he should have. So glad the story had a happy ending for all involved.

Neal

Reaction score
Good. Very good. Enjoy it, Retro!

I'm not kicking myself. After fighting the 25.5 scale and 1 11/16 nut on my acoustic Guilds for years, I finally made peace with myself and decided to let players befitting them (literally!) play some of them.

Having said that, I am keeping the F-50 Standard for the foreseeable future. It is the only guitar I own that I bought brand new, and it still gives me a smile every time I play it.

I also don't see the '71 D-25BR going anywhere. Best $500 guitar on the planet. It sits at hand next to my desk at work.

The '71 F-20 (Tonya) has had enough abuse and upheaval in her life, so she has found a permanent home.

And, of course, my lifelong companion. the '73 D-35, sits peacefully in its case, fully aware that it is cherished and safe from my fickle guitar decisions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Congratulations, all around! Great photos, too, RR. I went through a lot of popcorn and my nails are bitten to the quick on this journey! ;~}

Inadvertently, I am wondering if you might have just started a new trend for LTG where, in addition to hunting down and reporting offending upside-down Truss Rod Covers, we can now start policing:

Guild Logo Placement Accuracy (GLPA ???) or, perhaps Guild Logo Positioning (GLP ???). Or maybe Guild Logo Alignment (GLA ???)

This could go on for hours. And think how much fun all that wild speculation is going to be, reviewing thousands of photos?

LOL Christopher!!!! May be a good idea!
I always thought I could tell a Tacoma- built F-50 by the logo and G Shield placement on the head stock.
All the ones I've seen online, other than this one, have the logo farther north in the head stock...sometimes way high .
I'm actually glad this one isn't! Maybe it's an early- run 2005, and they hadn't changed it yet.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
LOL Christopher!!!! May be a good idea!
I always thought I could tell a Tacoma- built F-50 by the logo and G Shield placement on the head stock.
All the ones I've seen online, other than this one, have the logo farther north in the head stock...sometimes way high .
I'm actually glad this one isn't! Maybe it's an early- run 2005, and they hadn't changed it yet.

I got a suspicion the "change" wasn't actually planned.
But I guess it could have been.
It just doesn't look as good when it's up that high, that's why I think it may have been a batch of faceplates that would have been rejected under different circumstances.
Still, misaligned logos have a long and honorable history at Guild.
I remember my surprise at seeing a severely mis-aligned rooftop logo on the headstock of a '50's Guild in the Guild Guitar Book, in the "headstock logos" section, last year.
Just can't remember the page, but if you check that section, you can't miss it.
Even though I did for about 20 years.
:biggrin-new:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks awesome Retro and a hearty congrats to you! this F50r is a great story.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is TRUE!! Some of those Guild Rooftop Logos got WAY up there near the top!! This one looks like it's in the right place. Congrats, RR!! Glad this guitar has stopped it's traveling for a while. :encouragement::encouragement:

Reaction score
Here's my happy little Guild family now!

"The Chesterfields":

NopByf2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

"The G Shields":

edo0SvT.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

"The Guild Family"

eNtYZis.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

If I buy any more guitars, I'm gonna have to get a bigger couch!

Thanks everyone for all the compliments and good thoughts! Yep, she's "home" now!

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Looks and sounds (by description) like a great guitar, Retro. Congratulations, and welcome to the satisfied customers of Neal club!