DTAR 18V Wavelength Multisource now Duncan Wavelength Duo

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
If you're not playing out at a gig, no battery is nice. Remember, if you 'run out of juice' with the mi-si...you have to recharge, even tho it's a relatively short recharge time...with battery...just flip a new one in...think of it like gas vs electric cars...I've seen the mi si products at NAMM since they introduced them...one year they gave out free 9 volt batteries as 'the last battery you'll ever need'...for personal use they're great innovative products.

Neal

Reaction score
Couple of comments, here.

1. If you want to play a guitar for other people in a bar situation, there is no substitute for a properly drilled, properly installed 1/4" jack. I know. I have tried to "baby" my two best guitars by temporarily installing a Baggs M1 in the soundhole, routing the cable up the bass side of the fretboard extension, across the back of the guitar and secured to the strap at the end pin. All in the interest of keeping them unmodified. In practice, it is a royal pain. The cord is too short to make it to the mixer, so you have to add a 1/4 to 1/4 coupler and plug the house into it. Too complicated for an open mic situation, easier to deal with if it is your show and you can insert a preamp into the signal chain at your feet. Plus, the cord has to be carried around with the guitar as you are setting up.

2. In this day and age, any depreciation in value due to the installation of a jack in an upscale acoustic is minimal. Modern players are moving away from mic'ing because of all of the complications (feedback, etc) that go with it. Plugged in and mixed is the way to go, if you want to play at a volume level that cuts through a noisy bar crowd. Life is too short for me to worry about whether I lose anything in value on a guitar because I put a pickup in it. In fact, Retro Rocker was thrilled that I had added a K&K to the F-50R I sold him, albeit it was a player to start with.

3. I favor a passive system in my guitar (K&K), with a matching K&K Pure preamp as close to the pickup in the signal chain as I can get it, no more than a foot of 1/4 cable to the preamp in my pocket or clipped to my strap.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Chris,

Have you used the Mi-Si pickup system. I love the idea of getting rid of the batteries!
Yes, Charlie, and I am happy to report that I haven’t had a battery for a little over a year, now.
ccozad-smiley.gif

To battery or not to battery, is that the question? I wrote up a short article on my understanding of current acoustic guitar pickup technology, here, for any that might want to read it.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got a question, based on the instructions:

Install a fresh set of strings. Before you are completely up to pitch, pull firmly back and down on the saddle to help
seat it fully in the slot. Finish tuning, seat the saddle one
additional time, install two AA batteries,

If the batteries are held inside the guitar, how the heck do you install the batteries AFTER installing the strings ?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got a question, based on the instructions:

If the batteries are held inside the guitar, how the heck do you install the batteries AFTER installing the strings ?

You don't. At least you had to loosen strings to change the batteries on the instruments I've had.

Rubsoul

Reaction score
I bought a mint 2011Guild F30 second hand which came from the New Hartford with the DTAR factory installed PUPs. Super tone using the Mic! I anticipated the large lock and load strap button to be in it but it came equipped with a normal 1/4" jack DTAR system. I believe its the best sounding PU comparing it to similar prices systems and recommend it to all.

Reaction score
Couple of comments, here.

1. If you want to play a guitar for other people in a bar situation, there is no substitute for a properly drilled, properly installed 1/4" jack. I know. I have tried to "baby" my two best guitars by temporarily installing a Baggs M1 in the soundhole, routing the cable up the bass side of the fretboard extension, across the back of the guitar and secured to the strap at the end pin. All in the interest of keeping them unmodified. In practice, it is a royal pain. The cord is too short to make it to the mixer, so you have to add a 1/4 to 1/4 coupler and plug the house into it. Too complicated for an open mic situation, easier to deal with if it is your show and you can insert a preamp into the signal chain at your feet. Plus, the cord has to be carried around with the guitar as you are setting up.

2. In this day and age, any depreciation in value due to the installation of a jack in an upscale acoustic is minimal. Modern players are moving away from mic'ing because of all of the complications (feedback, etc) that go with it. Plugged in and mixed is the way to go, if you want to play at a volume level that cuts through a noisy bar crowd. Life is too short for me to worry about whether I lose anything in value on a guitar because I put a pickup in it. In fact, Retro Rocker was thrilled that I had added a K&K to the F-50R I sold him, albeit it was a player to start with.

3. I favor a passive system in my guitar (K&K), with a matching K&K Pure preamp as close to the pickup in the signal chain as I can get it, no more than a foot of 1/4 cable to the preamp in my pocket or clipped to my strap.

YEP! In fact, the K&K was the icing on the cake that made me pull the trigger! I play my guitars onstage and they have to have a decent pickup system...and I prefer passive with the off-board pre-amp. That's why most my acoustics get K&K.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The K&K Trinity system ( Mic and soundboard transducer with external Pre-Amp ) is like $319 at Amazon. The Seymour Duncan Wave Length Duo can be had for $159 and DjangoBooks.com.

I was hoping to NOT have to undo the strings to change batteries, as that gets old with my Ovation Legend. On the 12 string, the is a large circular section that comes off on the back to allow a hand up inside the body. Much better, but not convenient. Not sure I want to double the price and go with an external preamp, but the SBT pickup would be easier to install than drilling a hole , under the saddle, and through the bridge than the Wave Length ( DTAR ) pickup. I think SBT are a bit more prone to feed back.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Side note:

Under Saddle pickups quack ? Well it depends. I learned on another forum and I think Mr Turner figured out a way around it, AND Ovation designed theirs for a certain use that ALSO takes care of it.

UST pickups can be over driven and distort like amps can. To address that you can use a higher voltage preamp that gives you more headroom , like the 18v DTAR.

Ovation built theirs for loud stage environments and expected them to be plugged into high impedance inputs , like popular Marshall amps that were in use during the 70s. Plug them into low impedance inputs and they quack. I did an experiment with my amps. I found this to be true. Each amp performed differently with the guitar. When I used the Hi Z input on my Randall amp, I could not make it quack. Other amps still would, especially, if I hit the strings hard, but not the Randall hi-z input.

Just food for thought, if your using an UST type pickup.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, Charlie, and I am happy to report that I haven’t had a battery for a little over a year, now.
ccozad-smiley.gif

To battery or not to battery, is that the question? I wrote up a short article on my understanding of current acoustic guitar pickup technology, here, for any that might want to read it.
Someone should write to Seymour Duncan and see if they can build an 18V, capacitor-based version of the multi-source (Duo) PCB. I'd buy that.

Jane, what's the problem with gigging out with the Mi-Si? Are you saying you'd lose the charge mid-set or something? Or, did you just mean that it's disconcerting to have to charge up before playing? Just curious.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Charlie, pre charging is no issue...possibly running out of juice during a performance is...being able to quickly install a replacement battery and continue is a little insurance policy...of course, if you have a spare guitar with you on a gig...and both are fully charged prior...

Reaction score
That's why I find it easier, more consistent, and reliable, to have the passive K&K Mini, with sound-hole mounted volume control (which I use as more of an on/off switch), on the guitar itself (no batteries) running into my K&K Pure Preamp that is powered by my iSpot that sits on my amp. Never an issue with low or dead/dying batteries. From the preamp then it goes into my amp, or another pre-amp, or the d.i. box to the house...or wherever.