Trying to identify the model

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HI Phazyme welcome aboard!
Kinda blurry on my screen but it looks like a shot of Janis Joplin in the movie "Festival Express".
If so, it's known to be a Guild F50: 17" bout maple b/s arched back sitka-topped jumbo, and their flagship acoustic at the time.
I forget if it was Bob Weir's of the Dead or Robbie Robertson's of the Band as they were both on the tour and both owned 'em.
F50 was actually their top of the line acoustic ever since introduced in mid '50's, even Clapton was an endorser as early as '68:

h5ATm.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you.

HI Phazyme welcome aboard!
Kinda blurry on my screen but it looks like a shot of Janis Joplin in the movie "Festival Express".
If so, it's known to be a Guild F50: 17" bout maple b/s arched back sitka-topped jumbo, and their flagship acoustic at the time.
I forget if it was Bob Weir's of the Dead or Robbie Robertson's of the Bands as they were both on the tour and both owned 'em.
F50 was actually their top of the line acoustic ever since introduced in mid '50's, even Clapton was an endorser as early as '68:

h5ATm.jpg

Thanks for the rapid response. I thought it was a f50 but not sure. This was taken from a documentary on PBS, the series escapes me, but focuses on a famous earth-shaking talent per episode. In the clip, you are correct. Garcia and Weir were there I do believe. The title of the documentary is Little Girl Blue. And they probably gave credit to Festival Express. thanks again.

Sal

Reaction score
Hello Phazyme and welcome to LTG! I'm wondering why you're interested in that guitar.
I love that footage of Janis and yes it's from the film Festival Express and she's singing "Me and Bobby McGee"

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello Phazyme and welcome to LTG! I'm wondering why you're interested in that guitar.
I love that footage of Janis and yes it's from the film Festival Express and she's singing "Me and Bobby McGee"

I also realized in retrospect it might well have been Jerry Garcia's or Rick Danko's too.
Only saw the flick once and didn't really pay a lot of attention to it as the music actually isn't too much my cup of tea.
Prefer harder-edged stuff like earlier Dead and Big Brother.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bet that chord he is playing sounds better cause he closed his eyes.