1992 westerly m20 vs new m20

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm considering buying a guild m20 from 1992 made in westerly.
But i read mixed opinions about them and some people think the new ones are better. Though I always thought the westerly made ones were better.
Unfortunately I can't compare them both so I would really appreciate some advices and opinions about them and what the differences might be.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm considering buying a 1992 westerly made m20 but I read some mixed opinions about them and some people think the new ones are better. Although I always thought the westerly made guilds were better.
I would really appreciate any thoughts / opinions on comparing both of those guitars and if the even come close to an original.
Thanks!

tommym

Reaction score
The new M20 has a slightly wider 1 3/4" nut width and a slightly wider 2 1/4" string spacing at the bridge. For some, this is a big deal and great news. Others prefer the older narrower setup.

Tommy

tommym

Reaction score
I just noticed that you are new to LTG.......so welcome to LTG!

I'm sure others will chime in on your query about the M20's.

Tommy

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, your first few posts are vetted by a moderator so there may be a slight delay from when you post them until they show up. Just so you know. Welcome. More info is coming..... :encouragement:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
1992 could possibly be long scale w 1 11/16" nut, and may have solid wood/flat back or may have laminate wood/arch back.

also a chance it is short scale, 1 5/8" nut, but id say this is low probability for 1992 (but possible).

the new one from Oxnard is short scale w 1 3/4" nut! different than all prior M-20s in that regard.

i would say go for a short scale M-20, and the new one has nice tone. basically sounds like the older ones to me at least. they are not built the same though, as far as the neck joint, as the old ones. so if this is a concern do some homework there. also the 1 3/4 nut is a handful compared to the 1 5/8 nut on the vintage M-20s, but very playable. if that can work for u then id at least play a new one and see what u think of it, for the money. if going used/vingage just keep your antennae up for them, (the short scale), they are out there!

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
I have to give the Oxnard version a strong endorsement, based on my preferences for small bod vintage Gibsons, Martins, and Guilds, with a Goya thrown in here and there. I didn't expect to be too impressed but found it to have great woody tone, sustain and projection, even with 13's tuned down to D-D. It was also kind to my old hands.

I'm told I bought the 56th one off the line, and quickly noticed the price rose dramatically early on. Got mine new for $1029., but getting it out of Canada cost me 90 bucks and a dose of agita.

All guitars are different, but I give mine a strong A. I sold it because it sounded too similar to my '31 Gibson L0, another mahogany box. I guess that's a strong endorsement.

Another plus...the pick guard peeled right off. Hate them all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have to give the Oxnard version a strong endorsement, based on my preferences for small bod vintage Gibsons, Martins, and Guilds, with a Goya thrown in here and there. I didn't expect to be too impressed but found it to have great woody tone, sustain and projection, even with 13's tuned down to D-D. It was also kind to my old hands.

I'm told I bought the 56th one off the line, and quickly noticed the price rose dramatically early on. Got mine new for $1029., but getting it out of Canada cost me 90 bucks and a dose of agita.

All guitars are different, but I give mine a strong A. I sold it because it sounded too similar to my '31 Gibson L0, another mahogany box. I guess that's a strong endorsement.

Another plus...the pick guard peeled right off. Hate them all.

What kind of m20 did you have? A newer one or one made in the 2000?

jmascis

Reaction score
I owned a new m-20 and returned it. The pros: very good tone and great tuning pegs. Cons: the sunburst finish wasn't high quality, and the bridge was glued on poorly, and the tuning peg holes were not cut right. Little details that bothered me. Great sound for the price, though, if you get a good one. I'd say get the natural finish to avoid the finish issues.

jedzep

Reaction score
Mine was brand new at the time, Dorian, built 2016.

The pitfalls of buying without trying are well noted. Through dumb luck, a bit of knowledge of what to ask about, and dealing with other honest lovers of old guitars, I have managed to do pretty well buying sight unseen. If you lived somewhere near a Guild dealer you could at least preview the guitar and have control of the set-up, as well as face to face access with the 'complaint dept'. I've heard other tales of Oxnard factory products coming out of Cali in sketchy condition.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm still not clear if the 2000 M-20 is long scale or short scale. as long as Dorian knows then i am good. again I would suggest one of the short scale M-20s, old or new. If you want a long scale, you could just get a long scale 1968-1972 D-25 for probably a lot less money. id bet they sound very close in tone to a long scale M-20.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Which M20 model did you have? A newer one or one made in the early 2000?
Hi Dorian, welcome aboard!
There were no M20's made between 2001 and 2016.
Westerly closed in late '01 and production moved to Corona CA, then Tacoma WA (starting '05), then New Hartford CN (starting late '09) and no M20's were made in any of those locations, although MIC China versions were available, known as "GAD's".
"Oxnard" refers to the Oxnard California facility operated by new owners Cordoba Music Group.
The first guitars they made there were M20's as a kind of tribute to the first guitars made in Westerly in '67.
Jmascis was brief in his recap of his problems with not just one but two M20's, the full story is here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?193795-M-20-issue-and-how-Guild-Treated-Me
That thread also covers some of the qualities that make Westerlys kind of legendary around here.
After reading that thread, if somebody asked me "New or vintage?", I'd say definitely vintage, at least with that model at this time.
And I normally prefer to buy new and get a warranty.

plaidseason

Reaction score
The word on street on latter day Westerly (late 90s) M20s is that they are a little overbuilt and therefore don't sound much like the M20s of yore, or the current M20s.

That said, I've wanted one for a long, long time. I'd gladly give my Westerly DV4 in exchange for one.

plaidseason

Reaction score

swiveltung

Reaction score
No comparison, Westerly for sure. Do some research (or just ask the seller) on scale length and nut widths vs years though and get what you want. I think '67 to.... 2000 or so were Westerly USA.

Last edited:

plaidseason

Reaction score
HI Plaid, long time no see!
You do realize that M20 spec sheet is for a late '90's version, right?
(Because of what you said earlier about "word on the street")

Right . . . I think.

I was speaking specifically to the late 90s through 2000/2001-ish Westerly M20s, and that spec I linked to looks like it was taken directly from a "Guild Gallery" catalog from that time period.

Important sidebar: I've played the Oxnard M20 they have at Martel Music in Plainville, Conn. and it's an absolute dream.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No comparison, Westerly for sure. Do some research (or just ask the seller) on scale length and nut widths vs years though and get what you want. I think '67 to.... 2000 or so were Westerly USA.

Yes '67 to '01 covers the entire period of Westerly building operations but there was about a 30 year period of no M20 at all, that's why the comment of "after over 30 years' absence" on that Westerly Guild guitars page.
And why it has to be a late '90's spec sheet.