1992 westerly m20 vs new m20

plaidseason

Reaction score
Yes '67 to '01 covers the entire period of Westerly building operations but there was about a 30 year period of no M20 at all, that's why the comment of "after over 30 years' absence" on that Westerly Guild guitars page.
And why it has to be a late '90's spec sheet.

Exactly. Agreed.

And early Westerly M20s and the late 90s/early 2000s Westerly M20s aren't quite the same thing.

plaidseason

Reaction score
And also wondered if you might even have Hoboken M20's in mind when you made the first comment.
:friendly_wink:

Well I'd argue the late Hoboken and early Westerly M20s are more of a contiguous model than the early Westerly M20s and the late 90s Westerly M20s. The one Oxnard M20 I've played, seemed to definitely allude to the late Hoboken/early Westerly version(s).

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well I'd argue the late Hoboken and early Westerly M20s are more of a contiguous model than the early Westerly M20s and the late 90s Westerly M20s. The one Oxnard M20 I've played, seemed to definitely allude to the late Hoboken/early Westerly version(s).

spot on.

also just to be completley clear, between 1967 and 2001, Guild made both long scale and short scale M-20s (and F-20s), with 1 11/16" and 1 5/8" nut widths respectively, but, anything goes!

those specs from that Guild Westerly website are not always exactly right. the regulars around here should know this by now. if a 2000 M-20 has a short scale together with a 1 11/16" nut, which it very well could, thats the first one ive known with that combo. But there is plenty of stuff on that site that is wrong (ie: there is no long scale Songbird or S4CE). lots of generic/catalog specs there, and the M-20 is somewhat of an "easy target" so to speak, being that it was a reissue ("which one are you reissuing??"). some people just call it a parlor guitar. even the Guild serial number website says "M-20 3/4 scale, some AH-xxx" for 60's Hoboken era M-20s. what??? and then half of those have no serial number stamped in the headstock. so there has been confusion surrounding this model for quite some time. Also Nick Drake played one, except really he didn't, except theres a super famous picture of him from the front cover of his own record, very clearly holding one. So if you are looking for any straight answers regarding this mystical mahogany miniature monster, best to get one in your own hands, one way or another!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
spot on.

also just to be completley clear, between 1967 and 2001, Guild made both long scale and short scale M-20s (and F-20s), with 1 11/16" and 1 5/8" nut widths respectively, but, anything goes!

Those specs from that Guild Westerly website are not always exactly right. the regulars around here should know this by now. if a 2000 M-20 has a short scale together with a 1 11/16" nut, which it very well could, thats the first one ive known with that combo. But there is plenty of stuff on that site that is wrong (ie: there is no long scale Songbird or S4CE). lots of generic/catalog specs there,
Right. In fact after a while I realized a lot if not all of those spec sheets are lifted directly from GUIld lit and Hans himself has said it's not always accurate.
\My favorite example isth te spec for rosewood pickups on the S-100 in the '97 Winter catalog which was incorporated into Guild Gallery #1.
And the Songbird and M20 specs you mention are from the same period.
Otherwise the spec "errors" seem to be primarily due to actual changes in the model's specs.
D25 shows the most common arched 'hog back/spruce top version, for example.
I appreciate you clarification on the M20 scales/nuts though, since I wondered about that myself due to the my awareness of the flat-out errors during that period.
Some of those other unusual scale/nut combos like 24-3/4 with 1-11/6 nut do show up on Songbirds in the '96 catalog.