Eclipse

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My wife wants her elementary school to play "Dark side of the Moon "

[h=1]“There is no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact it's all dark.”[/h]
Couldn't resist. Sorry.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we will be able to see the Silhouette of the Ancient Alien Structures that are the Moon?:topsy_turvy:

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The hype is real here in the path of totality. The local Starbucks is selling Eclipse Frappuccinos.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reminds me a little bit of the beginning of that stupid movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster. Watch yourself, GAD, there are a lot of loonies out there among the simply curious.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Youtube NASA channel seems to be stable, but I can't figure out how to set is as background wallpaper.

I haven't played "brain damage/eclipse" in years but it's looping through my head, will have to re-learn.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The public Nasa Channel on Directv has excellent coverage in HD from all across the States and all different viewpoints from Nasa's G3 aircraft to ground telescopes to the view from the international space station. I don't know what the channel number is elsewhere but in Houston it is Channel 352-1. It truly is amazing to see the stars around the sun during totality.

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
merlin- thanks! i watched it on my phone, that was great! heres some captures

aWirkh.png

O47yCc.png

e0fOvA.png

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Someone had the good idea to bring a welders mask at work, so we can check it out pretty well. A bit less of a quarter in already :)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just caught a break in the clouds! Now I feel justified that I didn't waste my money on Eclipse glasses!

img_0182-jpg.1838628

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The hype is real here in the path of totality. The local Starbucks is selling Eclipse Frappuccinos.

Hello from Finland

I remember havin been in MN and someone was pushing "Bicentennial Grass" . . .

Opsimath

Reaction score
Just caught a break in the clouds! Now I feel justified I didn't waste my money on the Eclipse glasses!

img_0182-jpg.1838628

Darn it! Why didn't I think of that? We did okay here. There were some clouds but they were scanty. I didn't buy glasses but used a piece of paper and pie plate with a hole in it along with a colander, kept switching back and forth. And there were shadow bands! I think that was the coolest part of it, since I couldn't actually watch the sun. If only I had saved some Eclipse gum boxes!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
We had clear skies for most of the eclipse here. Great viewing both via camera's LCD and solar glasses. It got cloudy near the end. Took some pretty good pics too but have nowhere to host 'em for now 'cuz Photobucket.

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
they brought in some eclipse glasses to work, so i was able to see it at like 50%. still, even looking at the ground, the brightness was remarkable. my eyes are a tad sore, maybe some glare crept in as I looked skyward with the glasses on. there were gaps at the eyebrow. my best visage was looking at a windowsill that was casting defracted light, it was cool to see the partial eclipse. Still, John Quincy Adam's experience was far more precarious:

On April 3, 1791, John Quincy Adams climbed Beacon Hill in Boston to watch a blazing annular eclipse, in which the moon is too far away to completely block the sun and leaves a “ring of fire.” “Hurt my eyes much by observing this Eclipse without a glass,” Adams wrote in his diary, according to Carleton University engineering professor Robert Morris, who has researched Adams and his eclipse fancy in as-yet-unpublished work. The injury persisted for months. On August 27, Adams wrote, “Eye very sore.” The next day: “At home all day ... My eyes sadly afflicted.” On August 29: “Almost blind.”