Eclipse

matsickma

Reaction score
Kingtree, SC , near ground zero Santee, SC had heavy dark cloud coverage that began a few minutes after the eclipse started (1:15). Clouds were so dark the sun wasn't visible. Then 10 minutes before the total eclipse at 2:45 the sky cleared and we had a perfect view of the full corona eclipse. As twilight came upon us a bright planet appeared overhead, likely Venus. Lightning could be seen off in the distance. Surprisingly I didn't notice an uptick in "breezyness" that I experianced during a 1972 solar eclipse. Maybe the breezyness difference was due to me being a hundred plus foot above the ground on a gasoline storage tank.

This was a remarkable event and I am so glad I was able to travel to SC to witness it. Definitely traveling out to see the 2024 eclipse, assuming I an still around.

M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Eclipse-Long-TotallityPhases-GAD-1000_1600.png

Opsimath

Reaction score
Wow, GAD, those are all phenomenal. Thank you for sharing them. What we had here at 87% was not even close to anything in the images you shared. I heard/read there would be a sunset across the sky - was there one?

Were you in a crowd somewhere or on a private perch? I watched one video where the people in the crowd were just screaming! Not ooh's and aah's, just screaming. What was the reaction where you were?

Thank you again!

P.S. Are your coworkers blind?

Last edited:

Opsimath

Reaction score
Just make sure your hat strategically dips below one eye whilst you´re wearing apricot scarf .

Shopping List:

1. Bread
2. Milk
3. Apricot scarf
4. Hat that will strategically dip below one eye
5. Lear jet (and/or)
6. Nova Scotia

If you're gonna dream, may as well dream big!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Speaking of Skylab, I saw it launch back in '73. Got to take a week off school too! Missed the re-entry, though. ;)

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, GAD, those are all phenomenal. Thank you for sharing them. What we had here at 87% was not even close to anything in the images you shared. I heard/read there would be a sunset across the sky - was there one?

Were you in a crowd somewhere or on a private perch? I watched one video where the people in the crowd were just screaming! Not ooh's and aah's, just screaming. What was the reaction where you were?

Thank you again!

P.S. Are your coworkers blind?

I was at a Mariott and there were probably 100 people around. At about 90% occultation one guy started howling and about 10 other people joined in. That was odd. People get strange during total eclipses. :)

The sunset thing is at the horizon, and it's a 360 degree sunset - no mater which direction you look, there's a sunset. It's very cool.

Surprisingly no one at work went blind that I'm aware of. I found this to be sadly amusing, though:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/23/rapper-calls-off-shows-after-staring-at-solar-eclipse/

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's one for you all to enjoy. You're the first to see it publicly, too. :)

The amount of time this took me to make... oof.

Eclipse-GAD-640.gif

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That looks Awesome GAD! Love the stop motion animation. I almost have expected Gumby to jump out as me, LOL.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK - last one. Probably. This is an HDR stack of about 10 exposures and most closely resembles what I actually saw.

GAD-Corona-HDR3-1600.jpg

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool GAD. I hadn't thought about needing a tracker. My longest lens is a manual focus 300mm f4.5. and the D7000 is a crop, so that would get me out to a 450mm field of view.

What type of filters did you have made, that took 2 months ? " I'd like a pair of Arc Weld filters please. " ?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool GAD. I hadn't thought about needing a tracker. My longest lens is a manual focus 300mm f4.5. and the D7000 is a crop, so that would get me out to a 450mm field of view.

What type of filters did you have made, that took 2 months ? " I'd like a pair of Arc Weld filters please. " ?

Thanks!

The problem wasn't that I had custom filters made or anything - just that they were SO overloaded with orders that they had a two month backlog.

You can shoot without a tracker - you just need to keep adjusting the tripod, and the long the lens and/or the smaller field of view, the more you'll need to adjust.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also check this out. Regulus (from the constellation Leo) is in the pic and this is 1 in the afternoon!

GAD-Corona-Regulus-HDR3-1600.jpg