Eclipse

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
We had 88% here at school. Nice, but not tremendously awe inspiring since we didn't have totality. There were a few pairs of glasses that we were passing around.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gotta run, but a couple of pics from today. It was AWESOME!

BailysBeads.png

Corona.png

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
thanks GAD for these pics, as I did not get to see totality at all. we maybe got to 40%, but still, cool. i like how the eclipse glasses gave it all a sepia or kind of brown shade to the event.

on another note, here is the eclipse you were not supposed to see today: https://youtu.be/wT9m_nuqN8U

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
We had 88% here at school. Nice, but not tremendously awe inspiring since we didn't have totality. There were a few pairs of glasses that we were passing around.
'Bout the same at my work.
Made a pinhole viewer with materials at hand.
Light overcast.
One could see that if it'd happened on a cloudy day way back when, the Indians could very well not even have noticed it.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Gary, thanks so much for those of us who missed it or weren't in the "BELT" of totalness!! Here's what I dealt with.....

ItzIyN.jpg

Actually, July and August is the Monsoon season here. Woke up to HUGE thunderstorms and then it cleared up to just scattered rain and clouds. So I met my niece for lunch on her day off a we ignored it on TV while we drank our way into a good mood. Now I'm playing guitar and .... this gets tricky. Don doesn't have to just grab ONE guitar.... he has to grab TWO and ... I can tell his patience is wearing thin. If my posts stop suddenly ...... you'll know it all went wrong over MUSIC!!! YIKES!!! LMAO!! IT's okay..... we've been through this before Both an eclipse and surgery. No one has died yet....... :devilish:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD... outstanding pics! Was very near Makanda IL today (point of longest totality in the US),
perfect viewing... words fail... but a truly a cosmic, awe-inspiring, humbling event to witness!
Can't wait for 2024!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Better Pics:

5D3_5555.jpg

5D3_5557.jpg

5D3_5562.jpg

This effect is called the Diamond Ring:

5D3_5565%201.jpg

5D3_5565.jpg

5D3_5566.jpg

dbirchett

Reaction score
Talk about a photobomb! If you look carefully, you will see the International Space Station sneaking across.

36577885701_bc2672a577_o1.jpg

This shows it a little better.

36577885701_bc2672a577_o2.jpg

Last edited:

Opsimath

Reaction score
Many thanks for the pictures, guys. They are absolutely astounding. It must have been something to see the total eclipse in person. Special thanks for the link, Wood, otherwise I might have missed that event entirely! Hilarious space station photo bomb!

We had 87%, not as awe inspiring as those who were at totality and actually could barely tell anything was up. The south sky got darker but the day was almost as bright as usual. I thought the shadow bands were the most exciting part of the event here. Temps cooled off ever so slightly but soon back to extra hot!

Again, I appreciate the pictures from those wise enough to travel to the path of totality. I didn't think it sounded that interesting, but now wish I had been in the path. Oh, well. Maybe next eclipse. I'll just fly my Lear jet to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....... Oh, well. Maybe next eclipse. I'll just fly my Lear jet to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.

Just make sure your hat strategically dips below one eye whilst you´re wearing apricot scarf .

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Up here the main tipoffs that something different was going on during the eclipse were a slight dimming of the sunlight, harder shadows and the crickets going into evening chirping mode. :) Even with 85%+ occultation it didn't noticeably get that much dimmer (partly 'cuz it happened slowly, of course.)

Yesterday was the first time in my life I've ever looked directly at the sun for more than an instant. Hurrah for solar specs! I do remember as a kid looking indirectly via pinhole during an eclipse. Once I got over the "I really shouldn't be doing this!" impulse to look away, I really enjoyed it.

-Dave-

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sadly, the pinhole projector thing sucked. Big mistake. I really wanted the glasses, especially since those let you see things through overcast skies (as I had here yesterday). Sigh. . Luckily, my son had a welder's mask and was able to see it clearly. The good news is that I saw the last one in 1979. There was no ISS crossing our path though at the time. :) :)

Funnily enough, I *do* remember when Skylab came crashing down. It had nothing to do with the eclipse, but that was completely visible to the naked eye as it streaked through the sky in NY. Gosh when was that? Late '70s? Early '80s? Yes, I could Google it, but what good is that? :)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Check this out. It's a bit wobbly but I'm so freaking tired I'm not fixing it today.

Eclipse-GAD-800.gif