Spinal neuro-stimulator implant

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone here have one of these? I'm having it installed for a trial run next week. I've been having extreme lower back pain due to spinal stenosis (deteriorating discs.) Sure hope it works because the cortisone shots have been ineffective lately and the meds are only minimally effective. Sorry to sound like an old guy, but,,,I'm an old guy, LOL

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a micro-discectomy for a bulging disc, which got rid of that pain. (Now, if only I could get rid of all the others.)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
dread, is this device to stop pain or to solve the disc deterioration? I'm just curious. Would you typically get a disc fusion operation to deal with this?

(pardon my ignorance if I'm saying something stupid :) )

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have one of these? I'm having it installed for a trial run next week. I've been having extreme lower back pain due to spinal stenosis (deteriorating discs.) Sure hope it works because the cortisone shots have been ineffective lately and the meds are only minimally effective. Sorry to sound like an old guy, but,,,I'm an old guy, LOL
Don't have one but have read about 'em and the theory behind 'em sounded valid from what I remembered of physiolgical psych.
"IIRC" the idea was to stimulate the nerves above the damaged area and the brain will perceive that instead of the pain signals.
To me it sounded like the healthiest alternative over drugs and steroids.
Have also seen some other uses of it that proved successful, in real documentaries as opposed to "infomercials".
Hope it works for you, seems like a sure bet!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dread, is this device to stop pain or to solve the disc deterioration? I'm just curious. Would you typically get a disc fusion operation to deal with this?
My aunt was considering disc fusion until a doc advised it's not for everybody and even then less than 50% (or some unriskworthy percentage) successful, long term.
She was pretty happy for that second opinion.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
I don't have one but I've done a ton of pre-op MRI scans for these. Like your doc probably told you, they put in a temp unit and see if it gives you any relief. If the relief is significant enough, they'll put in a permanent one. I've talked to a lot of patients who've had it done, all with varying degrees of success. For some it's a miracle, others not at all. If you get the permanent one, you might want to ask your doc to install one that is MRI compatible or you can never have an MRI again, and not just on your back. I've seen docs install them on people that have other chronic conditions and really need to have MRI's in the future and they're S.O.L., and seriously angry with their surgeon, If you get one and it doesn't work, whatever you do don't lose the remote control! I've seen people that had it installed and then just let the battery run out and toss the remote. The problem with that is if it is MRI compatible, and you need another scan, the MRI tech has to physically see the remote and see that it has been turned off, BY THE REMOTE. The battery running out won't cut it. You'll have to buy another remote, just to show the tech that it's off, and they're not cheap. I know that's not first-hand experience but just a little food for thought.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
My aunt was considering disc fusion until a doc advised it's not for everybody and even then less than 50% (or some unriskworthy percentage) successful, long term.
She was pretty happy for that second opinion.
I see failed spinal fusions every day, and sometimes multiple times a day. The only way I would even entertain the thought of having it done was if I was dragging a leg or completely bedridden. Not no but HELL no!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My Dad had these "spacers" put in his back for spinal stenosis and it worked pretty well. I don't recall what it was truly called, but a quick Google makes me think it was the "X-stop" surgery. It's practically an outpatient procedure. 10 years later, he still has back pain, but, at the time he couldn't walk down the driveway and get the mail. He was up to walking a few miles doing laps at the mall with other old folks. I think the doc would like to have gone back in, and made a slight positioning change, but Dad doesn't want to do it or Medical won't pay for it. I'm not sure.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Surgeon says I'm not a candidate for surgery after MRI's etc. and I didn't want to have surgery anyway. Hoping this is the best solution!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Started the implant trial period today, so far so good! The surgery went well and I have a major reduction in pain right now. I was somewhat concerned that I would be able to feel the electrical stimuli sort of like a TENS unit, but I can't feel it at all. I have an Iphone device to make adjustments if necessary. Ain't technology wonderful? We're going to try this for a week, then decide whether or not to proceed with the implant unit.

Getting old is not for the faint of heart...