D 30 vs. G 37

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Tennessee Orange is pretty wild - here it is on my DCE3
(more or less a D30 with a cutaway)

IMG_3132.jpg

Cherry Red D30 on ebay awhile back... pretty cool.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-D30-A...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
s-l1600.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Tennessee Orange is pretty wild - here it is on my DCE3
(more or less a D30 with a cutaway)
An acquired taste, but I started liking it a while back, didn't before.

Ahhh, thank you!
Close up of label shows "D30WGR", or "WoodGrain Red" for which I confused the "Transparent".
s-l1600.jpg

I always did say that was the next best thing to "Cherry", but in fact can't remember if they were ever offered at the same time even if not on the same model.
Don't think D30's ever got actual "CH" Cherry finish.
But I think they were the only acoustic to get "Tennessee Orange" (and considering your DCE-3 to be a D30 cutaway electric version as you rightfully suggest).
Only other place I recall seeing it was on X-160 Rockabilly but the '01 price list says even X-170 and X-500T got it.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Heh... probably more than you ever wanted to know...

Al... great observations... wondered what the WGR meant!

Wish I'd bought that thing now... seen very few WGRs come up,
and the seller had to list it several times before it finally
went from something like $700 if memory serves...

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
D30 finishes... entire guitar natural, burst, orange, have also seen one example that
was dark cherry... any others?

Natural would be "Blonde." I think I have seen a transparent (wood grain?) blue D-30 on eBay... but might be mis-remembering.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
This is why I love LTG so much. You guys are great! Thanks for the info.

I know right? I tend to fade in and out depending on LCL ( life chaos level ) and I know I could easily spend all day on this forum! I have had the opportunity to correspond with some pretty cool folks that know a ton more than me about these awesome instruments!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have seen blue / blue-green D25s, not yet chanced across a blue D30...
that'd be a rare bird if it exists.
Blue Corona D25 from Reverb - only one I've seen with
this particular dark blue finish... I like it!
Wild blue-green D25 photo from the Guitar Museum... wow!

ri2yl2khj6iv19yaqfxt.jpg

hgbnzgzh0wn17ngfcafx.jpg

180293975759-2.jpg

Last edited:

crank

Reaction score
I bought my G37 new in 1981. The shop had a red one and a blue one. I played them and really liked the sound, feel, and yes, heft. Hated the colors and told the sales guy if they had one that was just the natural maple finish I would probably buy it. He called my bluff and found me a blonde the next day. This was in Costa Mesa, CA and NAMM Was going on up in LA. He was able to get me one of the guitars Guild had brought out for the show and it has been a great one.

PS. It has the 3 piece neck.

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool story - what kinda stuff do you play?

Man, would love to see those red & blue G37s! Did not know the Gs were available
in those colors. Did just find a bright sunburst '74 G37 that was for sale on
Reverb a year or so ago, this burst coloration is HOT and looks more like D30Man's D30 than
the antique burst on my G37, but interestingly, only the top has the burst,
it is not carried over to the sides and neck...

ixvtfe7z9j5bxnvlzgxo.jpg

D30Man-D30-gig-shot.jpg

ZUm5Ha9

ZUm5Ha9

G37-FRS-1.jpg

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wiley, would love to see it... post photos!
Or send me photos an I'll post them...

Neal

Reaction score
I bought Gardman's '74 G-37 a couple years ago, and it was a blonde with a mahogany one-piece neck. As stated by others, not the loudest guitar in the world, but with miraculous sustain, peculiar for a maple guitar.

My F-50 Standard (and my fickle nature) pushed it out the door to another LTG member. I remember it as one of the best guitars I have ever owned for the money.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I bought Gardman's '74 G-37 a couple years ago, and it was a blonde with a mahogany one-piece neck. As stated by others, not the loudest guitar in the world, but with miraculous sustain, peculiar for a maple guitar.

My F-50 Standard (and my fickle nature) pushed it out the door to another LTG member. I remember it as one of the best guitars I have ever owned for the money.
My F-412 had 'forever' sustain. Foolishly, I let her go not too long ago.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
IME... neither the D30 or the G37 is the guitar to bring to a bluegrass / folk jam session,
at least if you want to be able to hear yourself. Have tried them several times, and my D25s
or the D55 are better in those situations.

As mentioned earlier... not sure quite where to place my G37. Thus far finger-picking and some
open-tuning, solo guitar only, seem to be the best usage... still figuring out how to deal
with it's unique voice... too much sustain is not always a good thing.
Not sure if the G is a keeper yet.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Have seen blue / blue-green D25s, not yet chanced across a blue D30...
that'd be a rare bird if it exists.
Blue Corona D25 from Reverb - only one I've seen with
this particular dark blue finish... I like it!
ri2yl2khj6iv19yaqfxt.jpg

THAT'S TransParent Blue, but the lighting and satin finish aren't showing it off well.
It's got more "pop" in better light and on maple, for example.
Also those Corona D25's were 'hog-topped flatbacks so even the tops look pretty dark.

Wild blue-green D25 photo from the Guitar Museum... wow!
180293975759-2.jpg

Pretty sure that's the same color shown on this X82, only ever saw it referred to as "Metallic Blue", but not sure that's the "correct" name.
xd3kgeofb4ta9n7t8yhi.jpg

Looks like a metallic version of something Hans called "Daphne Blue" on an electric a long time ago but don't think the "Daphne" was metallic.
IN fact, a search for "Daphne" brings back a photo from [http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?182390-2000-Guild-M70-Custom-Shop]this thread[/quote] which I think shows the "Daphne Blue", and the "Metallic", AND a "Transparent Blue", all in the same shot.
(Daphne is on the M70 hanging on wall, but can't truly tell if the Brian May on the floor is "Metallic", it might be too late for that color, besides)
ThornGuilds09.jpg

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score
My G37 is amber, and I believe I've seen one with an amber burst top as well.

Got the G37 out today to take photos (as requested) and discovered my recollection was all wrong! MINE is the amber burst. (Top, back and sides all got the 'burst treatment.)

It's a right handsome guitar! Seth / Bonneville88 posted the photos for me, which I texted to him.

I used today's photo session as an occasion to change the strings, tune it up and play it for about an hour. (My mainstays are my Guild DV72, D60, D66 and GV70 -- the others don't get nearly the playing time they should.)

It's a great-sounding guitar IMO. Like all the Guild maple arch-backs I'm familiar with, it's punchy as all get out and has excellent note separation. It more than holds its own next to my '70s F50.

Anyway, thanks for the nudge Seth -- nice to re-discover a guitar that's just been sitting in its case these past few months!

Glenn