Advice on buying a vintage Guild

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but am a huge fan of Guilds.
Ever since I picked one up almost 12 years ago, there was just something about it.

I am a 25 year old accountant/gigging musician. I currently own a Taylor 214ce-k dlx and a Guild F2512e. I know the Guild is MIC and has lam B&S but I love it. Plus, I didn't think the F1512 was even worth the extra money.

Now I've decided I want a vintage Guild. Been gigging all summer and I want to treat myself.

I am looking for a Guild dread. I've played vintage D40s and D50s. I don't know much about varying years and different factories but would like to know the differences.

My price range is probably more D40ish but I would also like to know the general differences between the D20, D40, and D50.

To counter my Taylor, I want a rich, warm, boomy sound.

Also, any general idea of prices and/or places to look for used Guilds is much appreciated.

Thanks for all and any replies,
Troy

jmascis

Reaction score
Are you near a busy musical area/city? If so, Craigslist is best because you can get a lower price since the seller has no fees. You can also examine it in-person.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, Troy! Good luck in your search - reverb.com is a good place to get some ideas.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My price range is probably more D40ish but I would also like to know the general differences between the D20, D40, and D50.
HI Troy welcome aboard!

The current D20 is a repeat of the first D25 formula, ca '68-72: all-mahogany flat back guitar.
D20's didn't exist before Oxnard, it's a new model number they invented.
MOST D25's were built to a 'hog body spruce top archback formula from ca. '74 to '01.
The D40 is a 'hog-body spruce-top flatback.
The D50 is a rosewood body spruce-top flatback.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Depending on HOW boomy, you want, you are probably looking at a body with a larger air space. F47 or F50 in the "not Jumbo" round bodies, a Dreadnought if you like that shape, or a Jumbo model.

For the "Rich and Warm" sound, you may be looking at either an all mahogany guitar or, a rosewood back and sides guitar with a spruce top. While I would still suggest playing any Guilds you can get your mitts on, the Maple ones will probably be more bright.

From my list of guitars, the F47R is very nice, and has more bass than the F30 I tried. The D-55 is very similar in sound, but a bit deeper and richer. However, it's not OMG better in either. My wife could tell the difference, so maybe that is a bigger sound change than I think, from the guitar in my lap.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm with Chazmo here. The D 50 is a great model. Loud, brash and in your face but with great tones across the entire spectrum. Personally, I think the Tacoma and New Hartford builds are the best of the best. For reference, I just picked up a nice (not perfect) New Hartford D 50 on Reverb for $900 all in. I'm in the process of adding the Dtar Wave Length pickup system to it. It will be great when it all comes together. Good luck!!!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but am a huge fan of Guilds.
Ever since I picked one up almost 12 years ago, there was just something about it.

I am a 25 year old accountant/gigging musician. I currently own a Taylor 214ce-k dlx and a Guild F2512e. I know the Guild is MIC and has lam B&S but I love it. Plus, I didn't think the F1512 was even worth the extra money.

Now I've decided I want a vintage Guild. Been gigging all summer and I want to treat myself.

I am looking for a Guild dread. I've played vintage D40s and D50s. I don't know much about varying years and different factories but would like to know the differences.

Also, any general idea of prices and/or places to look for used Guilds is much appreciated.

Thanks for all and any replies,
Troy
Hi Troy,
Here's a link to what appears to be a vintage D - 50 in very good condition in the northern Virginia area, at a fair price of $1,100. I have no connection to the seller.
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/d/1977-guild-50-nt-bluegrass/6253834511.html

Rich

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And / or, a late-model DV-6. Hadn't thought about that.
Westerlys were 'hog, and Tacomas were rosewood, but don't forget the very late ones were made in Mexico in Fender's Ensenada facility.
When introduced in Westerly it was actually filled the D40 slot for awhile, which was on hiatus for some reason..
It filled the D50 "Standard" slot in Tacoma when Tacoma went to adi-topped D50 Bluegrass Specials.

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
And / or, a late-model DV-6. Hadn't thought about that.

Tacoma DV-6 = dreadnought rosewood back and sides. Around$650-$900 and good values. Westerly DV-6 =dreadnought mahogany back and sides around same price point. Stay away from the made in Mexico DV-6.

Westerly DV-6 , D-40, and D-6 are all mahogany dreads. There's also the D-35, another mahogany dread.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dreadnut's right. For the price of the D-50 I mentioned earlier, you can get a DV-52, and they are a cut above of the D-50.

Mostly correct, until they quit making DV-52's, then at some point they started producing upgraded D-50's with the DV-52 parts and specs - scalloped top bracing, ebony bridge, ebony fingerboard, ebony headstock overlay, abalone soundhole purfling...
The Tacoma-built D-50's are real gems.

Br1ck

Reaction score
I'm partial to pre 73 mahogany/spruce dreads. If you could pick one up and then a later Westerly, you would find out how much lighter they are. They are also likely to need some work. Can't have it both ways.

Then again, a D 55 is a sweet guitar.

Reaction score
Find a 63/64 Braz 1 3/4 and you will never look back, pricey in exec. condition but it will be better and cheaper then a Gibson/Martin with more vibe.

Antney

Reaction score
Stop confusing the boy...I have never known a d50 owner whoever thought he should have bought another model or brand. Do yourself a favor and try one out

Uncle tony

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Amen Uncle Tony. I've owned (I think) every model mentioned but I agree with your D 50 assessment. (I wish you were really my Uncle)