Guild model

Reaction score
Combination of body shape, pickguard, and what I could make out of the headstock, I'd say an F-30 from the 1990s.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
oh, that is small, i am going with F20. Westerly too.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, an F-20. I have my 90s F-30 out, and the soundhole rings are different.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So dim and blurry, couldn't see the top as hog (and, truth be told, didn't watch it all.) Looked a different color from the sides, but I bow to the master.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
it sounds terrible and thin. go dread or go home is my Guild mantra...

:)

Antney

Reaction score
it sounds terrible and thin. go dread or go home is my Guild mantra...

:)

That sound is so thin it has to run around in the shower to get wet

Im with you Woodrow, i am constantly amazed with the balance and tone of my d50s

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That sound is so thin it has to run around in the shower to get wet

Im with you Woodrow, i am constantly amazed with the balance and tone of my d50s

oh the D50 is a great powerful acoustic. I wish I still had mine, it even had tone flames on the top. I am just hoping the tone of that M20 was the result of the sound system :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
that is the poor choice in pickup/amplification/effects and not the ideal strings im sure, for that particular guitar, not to mention the $hitty recording, making it sound so awful. Even I could make an M-20 sound much, much better than that. he is doing it all wrong. or for what hes going for, use a spruce top or guitar or something else (maybe a strat!)

I have found my mahogany top Guilds to be in a world of their own, soundwise. that might make them a one trick pony, but they sure sound sweet. actually a 2 trick pony because they sound really good for slide, and I am typically not good at playing the slide. mahogany top not better or worse than spruce, but definitely different. I play the short scale M-20 (1960s) and the long scale, flat/solid back, mahogany top D-25 (early 70s). The F-20s also sound really nice. i have a short scale one, and sold a long scale one I had, which sounded so much like a regular dread (which is to say quite good!), that i just didn't need it. The mahogany guitars sound nothing like the F-20s.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have found my mahogany top Guilds to be in a world of their own, soundwise. that might make them a one trick pony, but they sure sound sweet. actually a 2 trick pony because they sound really good for slide, and I am typically not good at playing the slide. mahogany top not better or worse than spruce, but definitely different. I play the short scale M-20 (1960s) and the long scale, flat/solid back, mahogany top D-25 (early 70s).

Mav, I too have noticed how good my D25 all hog flat sounds thru a PA. No touch up either. And just a passive K&K mini pup. It cuts thru mix well and can sound very powerful. Still wish I had a D35 to complete the picture. Sitka is a nice top wood. More volume. But all in all I can't complain. I do complain but I should not. 😀