Looking at a New Hartford D-40 tomorrow

jmascis

Reaction score
Can you guys give me things to look for?

I made a list of like 13 bullet points regarding condition, neck twists, bridge issues, angles, etc. General acoustic guitar condition issues. But is there anything specific to this model I should look for? Also, is there any way to look inside for issues? I wrote "knock on the wood to listen for loose bracing", but have no idea if that's the way to test for anything like that.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can you guys give me things to look for?

I made a list of like 13 bullet points regarding condition, neck twists, bridge issues, angles, etc. General acoustic guitar condition issues. But is there anything specific to this model I should look for? Also, is there any way to look inside for issues? I wrote "knock on the wood to listen for loose bracing", but have no idea if that's the way to test for anything like that.

No comments on what to look for. On looking inside some folks can get their cell phone through the soundhole and have taken pictures or videos with it. The traditional approach has been a mirror. Dental mirrors have been the traditional suggestion for convenience but "makeup mirrors" and mirrors used by people who build small things in tight places have also been used. Good luck.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And just to add, cleats and other signs of repair can often be a really good thing. Of course, the seller should disclose that if he/she knows about it.

I will say that I have concluded that IMHO the New Hartford and Tacoma builds were some of the best Guild ever produced. I'm sure others, and maybe quite a few others, would disagree with that but it's what I feel.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If everything vets out on this guitar AND it sounds amazing (most important part) you'll find the New Hartford Guilds are HIGHLY regarded as some of the best guitars ever made. That's just my opinion, and I don't even own one!

jmascis

Reaction score
If everything vets out on this guitar AND it sounds amazing (most important part) you'll find the New Hartford Guilds are HIGHLY regarded as some of the best guitars ever made. That's just my opinion, and I don't even own one!

The guitar was in mint condition. All geometry on it checked out, and no signs of ever being played (couldn't find any scratches on the pickguard even)...I bought it for a good price. Now I have to get to work and break it in. After purchasing it, I brought it to a shop in LA and they said it looks amazing and couldn't believe I got that much guitar for the price.

I'll try to take some pictures soon.

The sound is a bit different than other guitars. It's bright yet woody at the same time.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If it was rarely played, it may take a couple good hours of play to get it's groove on, so to speak.

jmascis

Reaction score
OMG. I love it.

I can feel the bass in my chest on E chords. Never felt that in a guitar before.

It's a 2010 New Hartford D-40 Standard. Does anyone have a spec sheet? I can't find one. I notice the bridge pins appear to be bone, and it has gotoh tuners. Were these both standard? If not, someone must have played it and put in the bone pins. I just showed it to my GF, and she said it even smells new. I agree.

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pay no attention to outdoor humidity/temperature. If you use any .... I repeat ANY cooling or heating, that sucks the humidity out of the air so fast you can almost hear it. We're in different situations but I'd get a good hygrometer and use it to monitor the relative humidity (RH). 40 to 70 is considered safe and good but read about it on Frets.com. That's a good resource. Also there's many videos on Taylor's website that give really good information about care of these instruments. If you case them maniacally like our friend Al (adorshki) does because he's crazy that way, then use in case stuff to regulate. I live in a desert and I hate not having my guitars out and playable so they're on stands or hangers and my entire house is a big humidified guitar case. You have NO IDEA how difficult that is for me but for you it should be fairly easy. One cycle of a/c or heat can change the RH more than you would think. So, for what it's worth.... :encouragement:

jmascis

Reaction score
Thanks, Dave. I did buy a hygrometer, and it just arrived today. I will monitor things and see if they're within that range.

This part of CA requires no heating or cooling -- daily temp all year is almost always between 65-72 except. Nights during winter sometimes drops into the 40s. The last time I used heat was 2009! Does baking with a stove reduce humidity? We cook every night.

I do case the guitar when not playing it as well.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats, jm. Enjoy it. I think the Standard series was awesome!

The Standard series was put together a little differently because they finished the body and neck separately before joining them. They also used different pore filler than the Traditionals.

But the guitar is totally finished in NCL and should be a joy. The only change they made in the Standard series over a few years was to go from a gloss body to satin. I have an early F-212XL Standard which has gloss body. Your neck should be satin.

Specs... On the F-40 I don't think there was anything different (except some of the appointments) from the traditional. On the F-30 (and possibly others) there were different neck sizes, but I don't think that was true on the F-40/F-50 Standards.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a 2010 New Hartford D-40 Standard.....

Well done and HNGD!

Pay no attention to outdoor humidity/temperature..... I live in a desert and I hate not having my guitars out and playable so they're on stands or hangers and my entire house is a big humidified guitar case.

LOL!!! That's one way to do it! We've got really low humidity here also, but it stays around 30-40% inside, even with the AC going. That's still a bit dry, so all my guitars are in their cases.

I regulate the case humidity using damp half sponges inside sandwich bags punched full of holes. (Most of the humidity stays in the fuzzy case lining, so close the case when you take the guitar out to play.) I've also found that the $5 "incubator" hygrometers work just as well as the $20-30 "guitar" hygrometers.

OK, it's photo time, jmascis!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
OMG. I love it.

I can feel the bass in my chest on E chords. Never felt that in a guitar before.

It's a 2010 New Hartford D-40 Standard.

Well done indeed! If it doesn't have many miles on it you will astounded by what it sounds like 6 months from now.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
the NH D40s had adi tops yes? sounds like quite the score.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So the geometry on it is perfect. If I want to keep it that way as long as possible, regarding ideal temp/humidity, what do you guys suggest?

Should I get some two way packs like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6AHW3K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A211C28GSC458&psc=1

I'm in CA, central coast. We have what is considered great guitar weather, but at night humidity gets in the 80s, even during the dry season due to marine layer.
I live in Santa Clara Valley, very similar humidities except I don't think it ever gets into the '80's.
High humidity isn't a worry unless accompanied by high temps (like over 100) for an extended period. That can soften the glues.
Those 2-way paks certainly couldn't hurt.
I also case mine when not being played and keep in a closet to help buffer temperature swings.
Sudden swings especially from a cold storage place (like sub-40's) to a warm room can cause cracking of the finish, the NCL finish is essentially like a form of glass. But it continues to dry out or cure as it ages, and there's a school (I'm in it) that believes that contributes to improvement in tone as it ages: Less and less mass inhibiting top movement.
It's also the source of that "new" smell, it's the solvents out-gassing as the NCL continues to cure.
Goes slower when cased. I think that's a good thing.

Guitar was built to handle mediums and was shipped with D'Addario EXP-17's, coated mediums.
Coateds might be a good thing in high humidities to forestall oxidation, but some folks don't like the feel and some think coating takes away a little bit of "zing" in the tone..
There's also a school of thought (Again, I'n in that one, too) that you'll extend the life of the neckset by using lights instead of mediums, at the expense of some volume.
But you'll also definitely gain some "playability".
Only you can decide if you like the trade-off.
Be aware we know they went to Titebond for neck-setting in New Hartford, it doesn't have the same degree of strength ("Creep resistance) that hide glue does, so if it was me I'd probably err on the side of lighter strings, but at least Titebond will be easier to reset if and when it needs it.
Oh, I almost forgot, congrats!!!
NOW you know how they're supposed to be.

jmascis

Reaction score
Awesome info, thanks andor.

Do you know if the standards came with Gotoh tuners and bone saddle pins? This one has both.

I am going to get some photos of up it shortly.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Awesome info, thanks andor.

Do you know if the standards came with Gotoh tuners and bone saddle pins? This one has both.

I am going to get some photos of up it shortly.

The Gotohs ring a big bell, and bone pins do too, but I don't remember with certainty.
I think the nut and saddle are bone as well.
Here we go, Reverb listing for a cutaway electric version confirms bone nut saddle and pins:
https://reverb.com/nz/item/4483848-guild-usa-d-40-ce-standard-2013-new-hampton-ct-cannon
Interesting, I didn't realize those Gotohs were actually sealed.
I saw open-backs spec'd on New Hartfords early on (must have varied by model) and it was a bit of a turn-off to me since I prefer sealed tuners.