Pics from Three of a Perfect Pair - Colony Woodstock 11 Aug 2017

Aristera

Reaction score
Last night's show was phenomenal. Small venue and great seats on the balcony railing. I had a chance to speak with Adrian before the show. I was asking about his pick and he went up on stage, grabbed it and said this is the one I'll be using tonight. He uses Ice Pix Stix and he stuck it on the lens of my glasses to show me how it didn't leave a sticky residue. I did give him the pick back. Julie Slick (Adrian's Power Trio bassist) sat in on quite a few tunes and Stickmen's Markus Reuter played almost every tune as well. Several drummers rotated in and out to complement Pat Masteletto. Alot of nice back and forth syncopations. 2 hours of bliss!

Nice chat with Adrian before the show:

QBIeUj.jpg

Set list:

JP2hgC.jpg

Tony Levin's Stick and bass:

ns2LeS.jpg

Markus's Touch Guitar:

xkEDni.jpg

View from our seats:

cPNPfJ.jpg

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! Great pics. I love this record and King Crimson iteration. I saw this original tour with the original group, and I imagine it was a real treat to see this trio on tour.

Thanks for posting!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wow! Great pics. I love this record and King Crimson iteration. I saw this original tour with the original group, and I imagine it was a real treat to see this trio on tour.

Thanks for posting!

No snark intended but I don't think it's really Crimson without Fripp, even though it's all Crimson members.
Fripp's the founder and the only guy who's been a member of all the variations, and decides when to disband and "reband".
I think not using the Crimson name is a mark of respect and a signal from all involved, who probably consider themselves a "projecKCt" or King Crimson offshoot band.
Not to say that lessens the quality of the band.
Adrian Belew's one of my all-time heroes, I probably like his overall body of work even more than Fripp's.
The '81-'84 version of Crimson when he first joined is definitely my favorite.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
No snark intended but I don't think it's really Crimson without Fripp, even though it's all Crimson members.
Fripp's the founder and the only guy who's been a member of all the variations, and decides when to disband and "reband".
I think not using the Crimson name is a mark of respect and a signal from all involved, who probably consider themselves a "projecKCt" or King Crimson offshoot band.
Not to say that lessens the quality of the band.
Adrian Belew's one of my all-time heroes, I probably like his overall body of work even more than Fripp's.
The '81-'84 version of Crimson when he first joined is definitely my favorite.
You're right, Al, and I guess I answered mostly out of enthusiasm for seeing Adrian Belew playing again. Honestly, I don't really consider the Belew-era King Crimson the same band as the original which had a sound and flavor all its own. I guess it's like comparing the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac with the later group -- they're two different beasts.

Regardless, I do like them both, and I still would enjoy seeing any iteration of the former members playing.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You're right, Al, and I guess I answered mostly out of enthusiasm for seeing Adrian Belew playing again. Honestly, I don't really consider the Belew-era King Crimson the same band as the original which had a sound and flavor all its own. I guess it's like comparing the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac with the later group -- they're two different beasts.

100% agree, but I like those 2 early versions of Crimson "more equally" than I like the Buckingham-Nicks version of "the Big Mac".
Took me a LONG time to appreciate Mr Buckingham, but maybe it wasn't a fair comparison for anybody having to follow Peter Green.

Regardless, I do like them both, and I still would enjoy seeing any iteration of the former members playing.
Absolutely. I think it's actually very cool they've adapted the "informal collective" approach.
Probably gives 'em a whole lot of freedom in their individual pursuits and makes "re-unions" a lot more "fun".