almost through with my project

grayghost53

Reaction score
have to replace bracket screw and buff out pickguard and i'm through. I spent 3 weeks trying to match the top. finally said what the hell, I can always pull it back down and redo later.
7MEZtXc.jpg

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
have to replace bracket screw and buff out pickguard and i'm through. I spent 3 weeks trying to match the top. finally said what the hell, I can always pull it back down and redo later.
7MEZtXc.jpg
Great work, but for me the pickuprings are way over the top. But i love the pickguard.

grayghost53

Reaction score
yep, that screw has got to go. I have thought about replacing all the pickup screws with brass, even tho the main hardware on this guitar is chrome/silver. I believe that the brass would blend well with the tint on the maple. any thoughts?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, GG, I don't know squat about pickup screws, but that sounds like it might affect the tone of the axe. Aren't the pickup windings around the screw (an electromagnet of sorts)? I.e., wouldn't different materials behave differently?

Or, were you referring to the screws holding the new wooden pickup frames in place?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
yep, that screw has got to go. I have thought about replacing all the pickup screws with brass, even tho the main hardware on this guitar is chrome/silver. I believe that the brass would blend well with the tint on the maple. any thoughts?

From my art/design student days:
The classiest look will be to keep all the hardware matched.
The variations in color of the rings and the pickguard are actually desirable to keep a little visual interest sparked.
Consistent hardware color will tie 'em all together, like it was planned that way.

grayghost53

Reaction score
thanks for the kind words. as it turned out trying to match the color was 10 times the challenge of actually getting the pieces and trim shaped/sanding/etc. I probably made 30 different tints using one or both of stewmac's amber and lemon yellow wood dyes. this color was close enough to go on to the clear coats. I don't know if I could ever have hit the specific color of the top without having to add an additional dye to the mix. anyway, I very happy with the results. next up is i'm attempting to machine a new base for my roller bridge from some 1" square aluminum billet. just have to see how that works out.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al. Now I can see it in post one too.... guess it had to do with my workplace network earlier.