Ngd... Nos

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay so I picked up this old girl at Zoo Music in Garland, TX. Two sizable finish cracks on the bottom where it was dropped. Dave Anderson came clean on that right away - someone dropped it when they were unboxing it. Never owned. NOS. I feel like I kind of rescued it from obscurity and for a good price at $300 as these went for $900 or so. No loose bracing or anything from the fall. Also checked the bridge for lift and bellying as they have been known have water leaks in all of the Zoo music locations for some reason. All good there as well.

I am pleased to say it is a hell of a player. A GAD F40P AMB. I am loving the padauk b/s and even more so the ebony fretboard. A big selling point. It sounded pretty amazing with dead strings on it in the store. When I put a fresh set of SIT coated 12's on there it really shined. A high point in design and tone for the GAD series. The Valencia body style suits me nicely.

Here are some shots.

And can I just say I despise photobucket???

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh and of course - like I have done with other early GAD's - The pick guard is going to be swapped with a real Guild pick guard.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sadly, the pics are being held hostage by Photobucket; can't see them.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Acquisition D30Man! It is hard to tell in the photos :emptiness: but isn't that a 12 fret model? So glad you are enjoying it and look forward to seeing more photos soon. Even though I never played a lot of the GAD models I think their construction, Design, and Materials were far superior to what the "Westerly Collection" is putting out now. The F40P-AMB is definitely one I wouldn't mind owning some day. Love that wood binding on them as well!

TX

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
nice score D30! a 12 fretter...? that is rare in deed especially MIC. I really like the GADs...

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats D30man!... can't see the pics... but if it's the same guitar as this,
I want one too... looks like great score for 3 bills!

e9b1aheuryi2bbjohvbj.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
nice score D30! a 12 fretter...? that is rare in deed especially MIC. I really like the GADs...

WW / TX - It is indeed a 12-fretter. The ebony is really nice on this one too.

B88 - That is the exact guitar that should have been represented here. I will send along some more pictures today.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Nice score, D30Man. I'll have to take you along if I ever darken that outfit's doorstep(s) again. Suckers were _decidedly_ uncooperative in so far as a little back and forth dealing with me.

swiveltung

Reaction score
Forget Photobucket. Try Imgur, fast and easy. I managed to retrieve all my photos out of photobucket a month or so ago without paying the hostage money.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice score, D30Man. I'll have to take you along if I ever darken that outfit's doorstep(s) again. Suckers were _decidedly_ uncooperative in so far as a little back and forth dealing with me.

I will be glad to sir. I will tell you my experience is that the Garland and Dallas stores have pretty good folks. Jeremy in Dallas is a really nice kid who is always willing to work a trade deal with me. I have traded guitars in at the price I paid for them there. Dwayne and Dave ( owner ) are pretty good guys as well in my experience. Like I said I have never had trouble working a good deal at either places. However, Ft. Worth staff I find to be a lot less workable. They were absolutely set on selling a heavily damaged D-4 for $250. They will not wiggle and truthfully they lack the charm of the other 2 stores. Pretty much will avoid that store. Helps that I live within 25 minutes of the other 2.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Ah, that 'splains it - I was in the Ft. Worthless location - haven't tried the other 2 yet.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i would replace that pick guard with a westerly period one. like a nice big black one. :)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
3 bills for a gorgeous guitar NOS. Fantastic deal! BTW, the damage around the tail block looks to me like scratches, not cracks in the wood. That's GOOD. That could probably be touched up, but I don't know how you do that with poly finishes.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, that's a beauty and that damage probably doesn't affect the sound at all. I've heard two people say REPLACE the pickguard, but I'd just take it off. Unless you play REALLY HARD and are rough on guitars, you really won't need it and on that size guitar it would look great with NO pickguard. But that's a personal preference. Congrats!! :encouragement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've heard two people say REPLACE the pickguard, but I'd just take it off. Unless you play REALLY HARD and are rough on guitars, you really won't need it and on that size guitar it would look great with NO pickguard.

even better!

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, that's a beauty and that damage probably doesn't affect the sound at all. I've heard two people say REPLACE the pickguard, but I'd just take it off. Unless you play REALLY HARD and are rough on guitars, you really won't need it and on that size guitar it would look great with NO pickguard. But that's a personal preference. Congrats!! :encouragement:

Thanks, Tom! Agreed would look nice without one. I have to say though I am big fan of the Guild PG. May pull it off and see what it looks like but will likely put a new one on there.