Does this mean...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd expect them in the stores, probably late fall, if prior experience with NAMM announcements is an guide. Lucky I am downsizing.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
If you click on the one listed in Reverb, it takes you to a red SF IV guitar. Not sure what's up with that.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ain't nothing like the real thing.
icon_mrgreen.gif

7468785914_f00b2d323f_b.jpg

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Idk twocorgis, I personally think the green on these new versions is a much more pleasant color. Yours does look to be in incredible condition though.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Idk twocorgis, I personally think the green on these new versions is a much more pleasant color. Yours does look to be in incredible condition though.

In ancient times there was a debate on the fabled green because some pictures of 50+ year old instruments appear faded according to memories of them when they were new. The conclusions were a) that the original finish was on both maple and mahogany bodied instruments and then green on maple was a tad brighter and b) the finish can fade over the the years to the point that twocorgi's instrument sailed under the radar because the seller advertised it as black.

I personally prefer the "new" color but green was never a favorite. In the event that I buy a new Starfire Bass it would have to be a (currently non-existent) blue Starfire II and I would have to convince myself that the color and second pickup make in an upgrade from a NS Starfire Bass I.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to side with Sandy on this one. I think dark, mysterious old Greenie will always take the cake. Hope to take her for a spin someday!
It's cool that they're doing different color options for the new SFB-II now, but of the choices available I think I'd still go with the natural finish if buying an NS

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to side with Sandy on this one. I think dark, mysterious old Greenie will always take the cake. Hope to take her for a spin someday!
It's cool that they're doing different color options for the new SFB-II now, but of the choices available I think I'd still go with the natural finish if buying an NS
I'm also sure it looks much better "in person".
In any case I've become a lot more tolerant about colors over the years, such as in automobiles, finally trusting that certain makers consistently offer aesthetically tasteful colors even if initially I think I wouldn't want to own the color.
Westerly was definitely one of those makers when it comes to guitars.
Even the "hair band" electrics.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I would buy a maple sunburst NS I or II

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm very fortunate to own (and have owned) some very cool guitars, and Greenie is the coolest one ever. I still think that New Hartford were the best builds, but Hoboken have a coolness factor that eludes the others, my '59 included.