Oh Noooo. Stripped and broken.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The description ties in nicely with Frono's Guitar Center thread:

"Broken guitar guild s100 I bought/rescued this guitar from some kids in a parking lot that prolly smashed it after guitar center wouldn't buy it from them."

walrus

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
LOL! I was thinking the same thing... Frono could've scored it right there on the
GC parking lot!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you know what popped up while I was looking at that ad?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-vinta...d=253084247269&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982
s-l1600.jpg

"From the collection of Carlo Greco, Master Luthier:
1970's vintage Guild S-100/Jet Star II solid Mahogany body (unfinished).
This is body #25 of 38.
My father, Carlo, acquired a set of these bodies while he was at Guild Guitars from 1959 to 1977 (Hoboken, NJ and Westerly, RI). These are the bodies on which Carlo carved the oak leaf/acorn pattern for some of the "NB" or "Nature Boy" models sold. I do not have any of the fully carved bodies for auction."

DThomasC

Reaction score
Luigi Greco is selling off those body blanks one at a time. They typically go for ~$30. Check his feedback.

I picked up one because a hunk of mahogany that size would cost more than that - if you can even find Central or South American anywhere. This looks like Honduran to me, but I could be wrong. I'll probably never end up doing anything with it. :crying:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Luigi Greco is selling off those body blanks one at a time. They typically go for ~$30. Check his feedback.

I picked up one because a hunk of mahogany that size would cost more than that - if you can even find Central or South American anywhere. This looks like Honduran to me, but I could be wrong. I'll probably never end up doing anything with it. :crying:

Thanks! I started a new thread to give folks a heads-up and there was still some question about "authenticity".
Honduran was the standard for a long time but I didn't realize as far back as the '70's.
It wouldn't surprise me since Guild was supposed to have been using it in the '90's according to an old, old thread from years ago. I just remembered the comment.
HMMMMM... I just saw a website claiming Honduran's CITES listed on Appendix 1 (up there with Brazilian rosewood, extreme restrictions on trade) but I actually see all the "genuine" mahoganies on Appendix 2 now, which is just "permits required for export".

Honduran 'hog was CITES listed in '75 so chances are good those pieces are Honduran, but the "replacement", Big Leaf Mahogany, didn't require permitting until '95.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would buy one, if I new where to find other parts to build it. Oh, and learn how to finish the wood properly.