Nick Drake and the M20.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://youtu.be/H1sAr1fnmoE

Great video and pretty much our contentions too re this awesome Guild related myth. Did not know about the Levin Martin D28 copy or 000-28 he recorded with. Good stuff.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That was interesting! Thanks for the link!

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I should do some research on Levin made guitars, but I like the thought of Drake recording his coolest tunes with a Martin copy dread. that is pretty funny. I would try to buy a Levin but now with the Drake connection I bet they are way out of my price bracket :) Still, I am part swedish, so I might take a look...(Levin's are made in Sweden...)

(LOL re what Drake does to Levins that he did to Guild M20s)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Although, I think a very early pic of him with the Levin is still sketchy that that was the guitar he recorded with in his "later" year(s). Who was the producer? The recording engineer? Don't we have any statements from them?

jmascis

Reaction score
I'm not sure why people care about this so much. I almost hope he didn't play an M-20 because then it's more unique. People seem to really want him to have played one for whatever reason.

jmascis

Reaction score
especially when they are selling an M-20!

Haha. So true.

As if the M-20 is going to make someone write songs or play like Nick Drake. I'm glad he didn't play it, tbh. Makes it more unique to be on one less recording.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great nick drake site, good info. So from Kirby's recollection, sounds like Drake recorded some of his songs with a Martin D28. Maybe mist of the songs we know. That would be interesting to me as the songs seem to come from a non-dreadnought guitar. Though impossible to really know for sure. I find that intriguing.

feet

Reaction score
if i had to guess, i'd say no, he didn't play it. we're just lucky that those songs, played on which ever guitars, through those mics, pres, consoles, and tape magically sound exactly like an m20. if you want it to. i'm loving mine.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And the funny (haha and sad) thing is, I watched/listened to a little of the Bryter album on YouTube, and in one of the comments was someone saying he actually saw Nick Drake perform back then; and he was playing the M-20, AND wearing the same shoes that are on the cover. Both of which were the photographer's that he put in the cover shot just for the look.
Wish fulfillment? Hazy memory association? Purposeful lie? Alternative truth?

You'd think the producer of the album (who is still living) would have talked about these rumors by now.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i got to tell ya, i cannot stand the strings and orchestration of the first two albums. like all that noise drowning out the guitar and song, it must have been the times.
pink moon, like his worst song ever, that album is way easier to abide.

again, just IMHO of course...

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i got to tell ya, i cannot stand the strings and orchestration of the first two albums. like all that noise drowning out the guitar and song, it must have been the times.

Not just you. I tried to listen to it, but the arrangements kill it.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Yup, me too. Just him and his guitar would have been really cool. Reminds me of a lot of the early Glen Campbell stuff - way too much orchestration. Or Phil Spector's "wall of sound" - bleah...

walrus