Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Say WHAT???

Man, I've heard the horror stories be it USPS, UPS or FedEx. Luckily, I've had no issues with any of them except an occasional missed delivery date and one damaged in transit (USPS).

I will say that as far as filing claims go, I've heard from others and have actual experience, that the USPS is far easier to work with than their competition. I think you'll come out o.k. on this one, it just might take a couple of weeks.

Please keep us all posted and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    -A whole lotta Guilds, mostly acoustic but a few nice electric pieces as well

-Not nearly so many Martins, Gibsons and Taylors

-2 Chinese Blueridges and 1 Epi Masterbilt

"I Hope To Die Young At A Very Old Age"

I've found that the secret to having a very happy life is to have very low expectations

As the USPS said when they couldn't find a guitar I shipped - "don't worry, they usually show up." This one did show up and was delivered safely to the buyer, but there was no tracking until it appeared at his small, local PO. The buyers father worked for the USPO and stoked the fires by insisting that if I had actually shipped it, it would be showing up in the tracking system. No one I spoke to in this two week ordeal seemed much concerned about the stress this caused me and the buyer. And I had not insured the package, a mistake I won't make again. So, if it's any consolation, don't worry, they usually show up.

This is the reason I have only put guitars on consignment at my local music store. Good luck, Neal, there seems to be several possibilities, I hope one of the "good" ones occurs.

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    1998 Guild Bluesbird Cherry Sunburst AAA
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
    As the USPS said when they couldn't find a guitar I shipped - "don't worry, they usually show up." This one did show up and was delivered safely to the buyer, but there was no tracking until it appeared at his small, local PO. The buyers father worked for the USPO and stoked the fires by insisting that if I had actually shipped it, it would be showing up in the tracking system. No one I spoke to in this two week ordeal seemed much concerned about the stress this caused me and the buyer. And I had not insured the package, a mistake I won't make again. So, if it's any consolation, don't worry, they usually show up.
    I wish it were as "easy" as a lost package that will eventually turn up. This is looking more and more like a combination of incompetence and fraud.

I have filed a fraud complaint with USPS and am awaiting further action. The local post office has utterly failed to respond to me so far.
    Neal

'53 "X-150" Redburst
    '54 X-50 SB
    '54 X-200-S SB
    '71 F-20 NT ("Tonya")
    '71 D-25 BR
    '73 D-35 NT
    '81 D-212 SB
    '12 F-50 STD SB

Others: '59 Gretsch Clipper, '74 Dobro Round-Neck Resonator (wood), '77 Dobro Squareneck Resonator (bell brass), '87 Dobro Square-Neck Resonator (wood), '07 Rockbridge Adi/Mahogany dreadnought, '09 Huss & Dalton TD-M Custom dreadnought, '14 Huss & Dalton DS Crossroads, Tele Partscaster.

Hi Neal,

So very sorry to hear of this problem. Sounds like the good members here are giving some sound advice.

I hope you have a speedy positive outcome and guitar back in hand promptly.
    Cynthia

It's not just a guitar, it's a Guild!

What is the greatest quality of knighthood? ...
    It must be truth above all. When a man lies he murders some part of the world.
    - Nicol Williamson as Merlin in Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post

Either send it "Certified" or "Signature Confirmation". It adds five bucks to the cost of shipping and you need to show id to pick it up at the station. If it is worth significant money send it "Registered" which must be signed for by an employee who is responsible for that piece until it is turned over to the next. Registered mail can be insured up $50,000. https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-extra-services.htm
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan
    "8 of 18", "19 of 22", "25 of 25" (and a couple of amps)

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders. "

Very sorry to hear of your troubles, Neal.

No offense to Default, but I would never use USPS for shipping a guitar. Their tracking is absolutely the worst of the three primary shippers in the US, based on my previous work experiences.

I would get a face-to-face meeting with that postmaster (postmistress?) ASAP. Just show up at the post office and insist on waiting until she is available. The post office's security video might over-write itself after too much time has passed.

Does their tracking info indicate the size & weight of the box associated with that shipment, and are those dimensions consistent with your guitar box?

Frankly, to me this sounds like theft committed by someone, possibly a USPS employee. I'll bet their security video doesn't show your guitar box being handed over to anyone at the front counter.
    several Guilds, one Gretsch, one Taylor, & a Squire CV tele

Quote Originally Posted by geoguy View Post
    Very sorry to hear of your troubles, Neal.

No offense to Default, but I would never use USPS for shipping a guitar. Their tracking is absolutely the worst of the three primary shippers in the US, based on my previous work experiences.

I would get a face-to-face meeting with that postmaster (postmistress?) ASAP. Just show up at the post office and insist on waiting until she is available. The post office's security video might over-write itself after too much time has passed.

Does their tracking info indicate the size & weight of the box associated with that shipment, and are those dimensions consistent with your guitar box?

Frankly, to me this sounds like theft committed by someone, possibly a USPS employee. I'll bet their security video doesn't show your guitar box being handed over to anyone at the front counter.
    If the security camera does not show that, and it was a mis-scan at the station, do we get an apology? I've never delivered anything worth losing my job over, and that includes the pound of Krugerands.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan
    "8 of 18", "19 of 22", "25 of 25" (and a couple of amps)

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders. "

I guess everybody has their biases regarding shipping. I only use USPS. At least in my experience they are more cost effective,, their Priority Mail is typically faster and they've been very good for my purposes. I've shipped an awful lot of guitars either through Ebay, Reverb or Private sales and I don't really have a bitch.

I do agree their tracking has gone down hill for sure. I don't know why that is but it has been noticeable for sure.
    -A whole lotta Guilds, mostly acoustic but a few nice electric pieces as well

-Not nearly so many Martins, Gibsons and Taylors

-2 Chinese Blueridges and 1 Epi Masterbilt

"I Hope To Die Young At A Very Old Age"

I've found that the secret to having a very happy life is to have very low expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Default View Post
    In the case of rare or unique guitars that have a high value or are irreplaceable, send it registered, where there is a chain of custody and the employee's wages are garnished to cover the replacement cost of the item.
    Steve, are you sure about that?
    When I was a retail store manager I had to deal with register shortages which I think would fall into the same generic category of "employee error".
    Was told it was illegal to charge hourly workers ("Non-exempt") for cost of errors.
    You can fire 'em for cause but you can't withhold wages.
    In fact it applies where I am now, too.
    If a "non-Exempt" worker damages product they can only be written up.
    If I damage product (such as entering an order with incorrect instructions for cutting paper, or damaging it in my car while transporting) they can withhold from my commissions since I'm "exempt" from federal wage law.
    In any case wouldn't this be settled through an insurance carrier for the Postal Service if a claim is validated and the Postal Service is found to be at fault?
    It's why you pay extra for a declared value on a registered piece, right?
    Last edited by adorshki; 08-01-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: punct.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!