Guild X170T Mars Review

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sitting in the colo watching servers build, I worked on the final edits for the X170T review.

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/07/30/guild-x-170-t-mars-edition/

Guild-X170T-TVJones-TopFull.jpg

As always, notification of any typos or mistakes are welcome via PM.

Enjoy!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Excellent article as always, GAD! I hope it's OK that I looked at the photos of Deanna Carter a little more intensely than I looked at the photos of you... :wink:

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Excellent article as always, GAD! I hope it's OK that I looked at the photos of Deanna Carter a little more intensely than I looked at the photos of you... :wink:

walrus

You and me both!

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very interesting review to me for a few reasons:

1. I had one of these late run X-170T guitars myself (2001 in natural))

2. I worked at a Guitar Center right after Mars closed shop and was friends with a guy who worked there. (2004-2005)

My guitar had the Fender pickups, and I have to agree: they were terrible. I replaced them with Fralin PAFs. This was a huge improvement. Mine did not have the second switch and was the natural finish. Not a Mars one, but with the Bigsby stock. Gorgeous guitar, but for me the combination of small frets, chunky neck and flat fingerboard radius didn't work for me. What a beautiful guitar it was though. It's still in the LTG community.

As always GAD, thank you for your thoughtful and detailed reviews. This is a great thing for Guild players and for history in general. Cheers!

-Clayton

gilded

Reaction score
Hey GAD,

Liked your article.

I've been borrowing a modified '99 X170T for about a year now. I'm borrowing it from the original owner, who bought it from a local store when they got a Fender franchise. It is Orange with nice flame and Gold hardware, an added Master Volume in the lower bout, older TV Jones pickups (original Guild pickups are long gone), a tune-o-matic roller bridge (Gold Bigsby bridge in case) and Sperzel tuners in place of Grovers. The pick guard is supposed to be around, somewhere.

I played it with a '66 Deluxe Reverb at a big party the other night. As usual, the band loved The Sound and The Look!

I think Hans told me that '99 makes too early for the Mars run of X170Ts, yes?

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
well done as usual gary. I second all of it since I had an orange 2000 X-170T for some time...

dbirchett

Reaction score
GAD, another great review. Makes me want to get another X-170.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Cool, I'll take one in Amber natural with two dogear pickups and nickel hardware! :)

Don't care whether it is silver or gold but Walter definitely has the right idea!

8512277382_75a02a63e3_k.jpg

I think this guitar belongs to Rudehog. If not, he has one very similar.

Last edited:

Mark WW

Reaction score
Great review but being OCD the TVJ's just don't look right. Plus my hearing has taken a nosedive to the point the Fender pups sound ok - better split of course. Either way it is a sweet guitar!!!

Now I need to get my CORONA sf3 pups split!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great review but being OCD the TVJ's just don't look right. Plus my hearing has taken a nosedive to the point the Fender pups sound ok - better split of course. Either way it is a sweet guitar!!!

Now I need to get my CORONA sf3 pups split!

I hear you. I didn't like the look at first because I *love* the double-hump covers of HB1s, but I really dig the TV Jones look now because of the added black/gold contrast they bring. What bugs me is the angle at which they sit because they make it look like the top is caving in.