1964 F-30 - Does this look legite?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks legit to me! Nice, but a bit pricey. Is it just me or does it not quite fit in that case properly?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm no expert, but it looks legit. Hoboken=old. The saddle looks quite low, though, suggesting some skepticism about the seller's claim that it doesn't need a neck reset. Even if the action is good now, a low saddle means a flatter break angle at the saddle, which robs some of the vibes going to the soundboard. Good thing about craigslist is you get to try it before buying. Good luck!

LTTele

Reaction score
Thanks All, I cannot play it first, so not going to go for this one. How much should one pay though for one that has had a reset?

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The price isn't bad if it's legit. But I have to say it looks fishy to me. Compare it to my '64 F30, pictured below (next to my '64 F20). I'm not troubled by the headstock shape on the Craigslist guitar, as Guild was transitioning its headstock in 1964 (and in any event, the listed guitar is a '65, not a '64, as refret noted above). But the burst is all wrong: the shape of the burst is different on the front, and mine has a solid-colored back (iincluding the back of the neck). I suppose it's possible Guild used a different burst pattern on the '65 F30, but I don't think so. I agree with refret that it probably has been refinished.

64Guilds.jpg

Last edited:

Sal

Reaction score
It's hard to say from the poor photos but the bridge looks thin to me; like it's been shaved.
Also, the shape of the pick guard doesn't seem correct and it looks hand made.

Last edited:

LTTele

Reaction score
Thanks Jeffcoop. I plan to buy the 1966 F30 Sunburst at the shop. It is way more than the Craigslist ad. Any thoughts on what I should pay?

jmascis

Reaction score
I live within driving distance of that guitar and wrote the guy with some interest. He was pushy, vague, and generally weird. I didn't respond, and he wrote me back saying he knew I was the guy who would appreciate this guitar. It reeked of desperation so I bailed before checking it out.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, be still my beating heart!
I know, right? I wouldn't be messin' with the other ones.... and New Hartford F30rce?? For $1000???? That would be a done deal. Offer less, see what they say. Golly. Wish it was local to me.... oh wait, I just bought a new guitar!! Never mind....

LTTele

Reaction score
Thanks Jmacis, that is very helpful! I am going with the original 1966 that I know is legitimate.

Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing a Guild flat-top with a sunburst back--nor a sunburst neck. Which is not to say that such things couldn't have been done at the factory as a special order. But that pickguard shape also is not the standard shape, which makes me wonder whether a lot of cosmetic work hasn't been done to the instrument.

jmascis

Reaction score
Thanks Jmacis, that is very helpful! I am going with the original 1966 that I know is legitimate.

You're welcome.
Oh, and when I asked for the action and general measurements anyone would want on a guitar he just said it plays great. He wouldn't give numbers or anything specific, which was again a read flag.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't recall ever seeing a Guild flat-top with a sunburst back--nor a sunburst neck. Which is not to say that such things couldn't have been done at the factory as a special order. But that pickguard shape also is not the standard shape, which makes me wonder whether a lot of cosmetic work hasn't been done to the instrument.

As I mentioned, I don't really know about that guitar, but I do know my JF30-12 (out of Corona) has a burst on the back....

gjf358.jpg