Your favorite instrumentals from the '60's?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Rick Schmidlin's "Favorite singers of the '60's" thread, I thought this related question deserved its own thread.
Having mentioned Ramsey Lewis' "The In Crowd" in that thread, I'll put up the next one that holds a spot in my heart:

:single_eye:

Would you believe I also love the theme from "Exodus" ?
I swear I think Hendrix ripped it off for "3rd Stone From the Sun".
Even the title is from a Twilight Zone episode:
http://twilightzone.wikia.com/wiki/Third_from_the_Sun

Last edited:

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Not necessarily "favorite" but one that continues to confound: Classical Gas

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW, this song begat other songs with a similar guitar riff. The best example may be "Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers. Another example is another very well known guitar driven instrumental - "The Batman Theme":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSaDPc1Cs5U

And for you trivia buffs, notice how The Beatles paid homage to the Batman theme on "Taxman". The chorus of "Taxmaaaan", right before the guitar solo, is exactly like the chorus of "Batmaaaan"...

walrus

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Best album:

Chet Picks On The Beatles

Good music:

Stranger On The Shore
Last Date
Autumn Leaves
Lara's Theme

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
BTW, this song begat other songs with a similar guitar riff. The best example may be "Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers. Another example is another very well known guitar driven instrumental - "The Batman Theme":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSaDPc1Cs5U

And for you trivia buffs, notice how The Beatles paid homage to the Batman theme on "Taxman". The chorus of "Taxmaaaan", right before the guitar solo, is exactly like the chorus of "Batmaaaan"...

walrus

Let's not forget George using the aforementioned Bond Theme in the opening bars of "Help".

Reaction score
The Chantays "Pipeline" and The Ventures "Walk Don't Run" and "Wipe Out"

Also the sound tracks for "Whats Up Tiger Lily" and "You's A Big Boy Now" by the Loving Spoonful with lots of Zal.

Also the instrumentals on A Hard Days Night

Also anything Evans, Coltrane,Davis and Rollings ( Dig that Alfie soundtrack)

And for me: Rosa Rio and Gaylord Carter

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Let's not forget George using the aforementioned Bond Theme in the opening bars of "Help".

Good point! Capitol USA soundtrack version only. I think it was on the early issues of the "Red" album, too...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"Telstar"
"Gold and Silver" (Quicksilver Messenger Service)
"Spare Chaynge" (Airplane: Baxter's)
"Bumpin' On Sunset" Wes Montgomery
"East/West"
"Glad" (Traffic: John Barleycorn)
In fact I gotta post that, because I know some of ya are gonna say "Oh yeah, I forgot all about that one!":

marcellis

Reaction score
That was a golden era for pop instrumentals - especially orchestral pop instrumentals. Everyone got caught up with the British Invasion or other trends. But my head was full of pop instrumentals. Every year there were great ones on the AM band - glorious mono. So many.

Some others:

'More', (Theme song from a very strange Italian movie - A shock-u-mentary named Mondo Cane. (Probably the greatest movie theme song a really dumb movie ever had),

Washington Square by the Village Stompers

A Walk in the Black Forest, Horst Jankowski

Music to Watch Girls By - Bob Crew Generation

Midnight in Moscow - Kenny Ball

Stranger on the Shore - Mister Acker Bilk

Too many others to list.

Last edited:

marcellis

Reaction score
Lara's Theme, Theme from Romeo and Juliet and Born Free all AM hits

it was a golden age. At some point, a frequency band we know as FM, started playing elec gtr rock 24/7 and the kids ditched am mono. I think that is the place where the great age of pop instrumentals ended.

Remember when fm was considered 'underground'? Over time, fm homogenized into a
Clearchannel/iHeart radio-owned bandwidth of blandness. And am radio went 24/7 talk.

FWIW, Lefevre's instrumental from 1968 was the last AM pop orchestral hit I remember. It marked the end of a great age. There was a gap between around late 1968 and the time we listened to 'Chariots of Fire' theme on fm in the 1970's. The magic was lost AFAIC. Nothing beats am mono.

I started watching Mondo Cane again last night. What a dumb movie, a quaint artifact today. But it had a helluva theme song. 'More' by Kai Winding and Kenny Burrell.

Last edited:

marcellis

Reaction score
Love the tune but doesn't qualify, it's from 1973!

My vote:

1967; Love is Blue.

dunno for certain, but I think L'Amour est Blue was the biggest-selling orchestral pop song of all next to Percy Faith's Theme from a Summer Place.

This one is epic from 1960. It may even involve a Guild.

1961 shows 19 of the top 100 sellers for the year were instrumentals. They ranged from countryR&B, rockabilly to orchestral.

Last edited: