Your favorite instrumentals from the '60's?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Love the tune but doesn't qualify, it's from 1973!
At the beginning of the "Favorite vocals" thread there was some discussion about when the 60's started and ended "culturally" as opposed to "by the calendar" and '73 was right on the edge. And that never even addresses recording vs release dates.
Personally I held out for '72, and I think Frankenstein could be considered one of the first great '70's instrumentals by the "cultural calendar" It has a lot of technical elements that simply weren't present in the '60's.

My vote:

1967;

YES!! Forgot about that one!!

But continuing on the calendar vs cultural date theme using '72 as cut-off, all of these were released '70-'72 even though at least one was recorded earlier:
"Les Brers in A minor" from Eat A Peach
"Samba Pa Ti" - Santana (and "Soul Sacrifice" at Woodstock)
"Room To Move"- John Mayall
"I Can't Keep From Cryin' Sometimes"- Ten Years After on First Great Rock Festivals of the '70's
"Pali Gap" -Hendrix on Rainbow Bridge

Last edited:

marcellis

Reaction score
The number of pop instrumentals in the Billboard top 100 began falling after 1961. But there were still huge hit records, notably by Alpert, Mauriat, et al. Culturally, the 60's may have ended in 1971 or 72. Hippy went mainstream. The FM band had by then gone commercial and totally washed away AM mono for music. Stereo had firmly supplanted am mono for mixing and broadcast music.

But for pop instrumentals - I tag it at 1968. Paul Mauriat's 'Love in Every Room' or Lefevre's Ame Caline were the end of the line for my ears.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
it was a golden age. At some point, a frequency band we know as FM, started playing elec gtr rock 24/7 and the kids ditched am mono.
Wehn I was in high school '70-'74 AM radio was still the norm in cars where a lot of socializing and listening occurred, but if you had FM, there were 2 BIG "underground" stations in San Jose by 1969, not counting KSAN which was one of the ones to get the ball rolling in '68, along with some stations on the east coast catering to college listeners.
On AM you got "Shaft" and the Jackson 5, and the Rolling Stones, (and even John Lennon and the Beatles) on FM you got Pink Floyd and the James Gang and by the early '70's Bowie and anybody too overtly counter-cultural for AM.
AM still wanted to appeal to a much broader audience age-wise, all the way into their 40's by which time they were gravitating towards a "Big Band station" which don't exist anymore, period...
Underground FM clearly had highschool-to-late 20s fixed in their crosshairs.
Oh yes, FM also played stuff that was longer than the standard 3 minute limit for an AM hit, like the long version of "Light My Fire".
I think that is the place where the great age of pop instrumentals ended.
In general yes but I think it lasted a while into the early '70-'s with some movie music in particular, and cars were still equipped with AM radios as "standard" well into the '70's so there was still a lot of AM pop over the airwaves including movie theme music.
Remember when fm was considered 'underground'? Over time, fm homogenized into a
Clearchannel/iHeart radio-owned bandwidth of blandness.
Right. "Classic Rock" for those who are now in the advertiser's prime demographic, just a little too young to remember what a marvelous musical collage AM pop radio offered.
FWIW, Lefevre's instrumental from 1968 was the last AM pop orchestral hit I remember. It marked the end of a great age. There was a gap between around late 1968 and the time we listened to 'Chariots of Fire' theme on fm in the 1970's. The magic was lost AFAIC. Nothing beats am mono.
"Chariots of Fire" was actually '81 (as a fan of Vangelis' earlier work I was keenly aware he'd finally "made it BIG") but the premise is still valid, it was a golden age.

I started watching Mondo Cane again last night. What a dumb movie, a quaint artifact today. But it had a helluva theme song. 'More' by Kai Winding and Kenny Burrell.
Yep, there's another one.
To which I will add:
"Midnights in Moscow"
"Zorba's Dance"
"Theme From Midnight Cowboy"
"South American Getaway" (from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid)

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
OK, now for stuff that would have been found on underground FM:
"White Summer" (the Page-era Yardbirds' prototype for "Black Mountain Side" on Led Zeppelin
"Rice Pudding" (on Beckola)
"Toad" (Wheels of Fire)
"Water Song" (Hot Tuna, Burgers, '72)
"Embryonic Journey" (Surrealistic Pillow)
"Space" Gabor Szabo, The Sorcerer
"The Jam With Albert" Larry Coryell

Back to AM jazz:
"Cast Your Fate to the Wind"
"Desafinado" Getz/Gilberto
"Mercy Mercy" (Cannonball Adderly's original version)
I know it was recorded in '58 but "Tequila" was still gettin' airplay when I was 10 years old in '66.
Another movie theme from American International's "The Wild Angels" :
"Blue's Theme" by Davy Allen and the Arrows
And speaking of youthploitation via surf and motorcycle music:
"Sleep Walk" by Santo and Johnny
"Let's Go Trippin' " Dick Dale

marcellis

Reaction score
Glory in a mashup. Lower Manhattan circa 1963 meets old New Orleans and 1950's Greece.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
Lonely Bull (1962):

I've heard that somewhere before....oh yeah, post #1 in this thread! :biggrin-new:
BUT if you're gonna go on about Alpert ya gotta give Sergio Mendes equal billing, after all, he's the "M" in Alpert & Mendes records....
It's just such a pity he weighed himself down with those scat-singing beauties:

They did a delightful medley of "One Note Samba/Spanish Flea" too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZc46dchvQ&list=RD2tzJVJV9SXs&index=2

marcellis

Reaction score
I've heard that somewhere before....oh yeah, post #1 in this thread! :biggrin-new:
BUT if you're gonna go on about Alpert ya gotta give Sergio Mendes equal billing, after all, he's the "M" in Alpert & Mendes records....
It's just such a pity he weighed himself down with those scat-singing beauties:

They did a delightful medley of "One Note Samba/Spanish Flea" too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZc46dchvQ&list=RD2tzJVJV9SXs&index=2

loved his music for A & M. But the M stood for Jerry Moss, Alpert's biz partner.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile back in TV land the Ventures did the theme for "Hawaii Five-0"in '68.
For some reason the Ventures got virtually no airplay in my market except for the previously mentioned "Walk Don't Run" and "Five-0" and yet they were one of the most influential bands of all time.
Maybe such little recognition because so much of the material was covers?
And always pure instrumentals, am I right?

Another favorite TV theme of mine was "Lost in Space".
And "The Wild Wild West"
And "Get Smart"

Oh yeah how could I forget "The Avengers"?!?!

"NEXT"?

marcellis

Reaction score
Oh yeah, it was a great age. TV themes? Who can forget. It still sounds hot today.

This is the stuff I never stopped listening to. It's why I compose the way I do.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Wipe Out! The tune that put electric guitar and fast drumming on the map for me. When my mom & I went to Scotland (her native country) to spend summer '64 with family I took along my Wipe Out 45, one of a handful of 45s I had at the time, and my cousins & I played the bejeezus out of it.

-Dave-

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix. "Star Spangled Banner". Woodstock. 1969.

walrus

Reaction score
For TV Peter Gunn,Man From U.N.C.L.E, Bat Man( ok some vocals),Get Smart,Coronet Blue,The Munster's,The Adam Family and My Three Son's.

Last edited:

dougdnh

Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HOW could I forget one of my absolute all-time top 5 favorites, considered by some to be the true birth of heavy metal or at the very least the seed of Led Zeppelin?
Recorded in May '66 by a stillborn potential supergoup consisting of Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Nicky Hopkins, and Keith Moon.
Let's see.....in May '66 Hendrix hadn't even arrived in England yet.....but according to his manager Chas Chandler he was certainly anxious to meet Beck based on his Yardbirds work when he arrived...and certainly would have heard this while recording sessions for Are You Experienced were still taking place in October '66 to April '67, even if he had to buy a copy like anybody else...

Mono single released March '67, "Beck's Bolero" :