Over on the AGF Ren Ferguson did not retire after all...he's in China!!!

F312

Reaction score
It's all about the money and why not. I think he will enjoy all the aspects of his new position, if not he can go retire as planned.

Ralph

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I had Mr. Ferguson's skill set, the challenge of attempting to imbue production-line, factory-built instruments with some or all the things that make boutique instruments the desirable objects of worship that they are would be irresistible.

If the most or all of the magic that is an Orpheum is available more broadly and at more affordable price points, I think that's a good thing.

Unless you're competing with it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So what seems kind of odd to you seems like a natural progression to me but we differ on the goals and motivations we think drives him.
And "retirement" is not what it used to. The days of staying home and collecting a pension from the most recent employer are gone. An awful lot of folks use the time to do something similar but different and not do it full time. Ren seems to fit that pattern. "If it is fun or interesting then I am going to do it."

Speculation on more possible reasons for the "about face" is in that earlier thread that TXbumper linked to:
http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?193408-Ren-Ferguson-s-new-job-in-China

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Leaving CA for China in search of less strict emissions regulations could be a smart move.

beijing-pollution.jpg

Why it's illegal to fart in public in China.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If the most or all of the magic that is an Orpheum is available more broadly and at more affordable price points, I think that's a good thing.

I would seriously consider a Shadow if this turns out to be the case :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So these videos and blog that mention this factory are by the supposed European distributor of the "Shadow Guitars", supposedly specs and details will be forthcoming soon:

https://www.bestacoustics.eu/germany.html

"Together with the famous master luthier Ren Ferguson he developed a process of building solid acoustic guitars in large amounts with fantastic quality. Shadow guitars are guitars developed by a legendary master luthier and built in the most modern factory."

sweet!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy, I'm not saying that's a good thing at all! I was just contrasting the US vs China manufacturing/environmental regs. This is one reason why we lost most of our manufacturing jobs. Cheaper cost of manufacturing, indeed. Someday soon, we'll (the U.S.) be paying for environmental cleanups in China, Indonesia, etc. There is no such thing as free lunch.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of the cheap labor shell game.

For assorted reasons, I can tolerate clones of historic US instruments being made in Japan & South Korea, but it bothers me to have instruments originally designed & built in the US being made in the poorly regulated manufacturing monster that China has become.

So I simply won't buy a Chinese made instrument. Fwiw, my personal mini-protest.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Advance warning: no politics, please. This thread isn't there yet, but it's close. If it goes over a cliff it'll be gone and people will be spoken to.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Never heard of Shadow Guitars. If they get a more streamlined factory and some Res-isms to make the guitars better, I still have no clue who they are or where they can be purchased. I figure it will remain like this after Ren moves to his next project and the articles stop being printed. Over the last few years, I figure there are plenty of brands that I HAVE heard of, making very nice instruments, that I don't need yet another Pac Rim one.

bobouz

Reaction score
Advance warning: no politics, please. This thread isn't there yet, but it's close. If it goes over a cliff it'll be gone and people will be spoken to.

Chazmo - Apologies if any of my comments may have been interpreted as political in nature. My thoughts were focused on developments in guitar manufacturing since the '70s.

I truly do not want to be reading anything political here, either!

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Never heard of Shadow Guitars. If they get a more streamlined factory and some Res-isms to make the guitars better, I still have no clue who they are or where they can be purchased. I figure it will remain like this after Ren moves to his next project and the articles stop being printed. Over the last few years, I figure there are plenty of brands that I HAVE heard of, making very nice instruments, that I don't need yet another Pac Rim one.

My memory is that the fruits of Ren's most recent labors are targeted for the European market which might explain why you have not seen/heard much yet.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My memory is that the fruits of Ren's most recent labors are targeted for the European market which might explain why you have not seen/heard much yet.

Not to mention the Asian market, particularly the growing interest in guitars in China. Personally I salute Ren for seeing the opportunity to, and wanting to, have an impact there. It's not all about us.

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not to mention the Asian market, particularly the growing interest in guitars in China. Personally I salute Ren for seeing the opportunity to, and wanting to, have an impact there. It's not all about us.

-Dave-

I just look forward to seeing some examples of these acoustic guitars.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Never heard of Shadow Guitars. ... I still have no clue who they are or where they can be purchased.
John, the link was posted a few times after I posted it in June already. There is a lot of info there already. Unfortunatelly my pictures in the thread are gone due to the great Photobucket issue...

Anyway, Shadow is a German company (not Chinese) and the guitars can be bought first at following dealers:

- Sound color Acoustics, Vienna, Austria
- Music of Schneidhofer, Kapfenberg, Austria
- Votruba Musikinstrumente GmbH, Wiener-Neustadt, Austria
- Farm Sound, Kassel, Germany
- Musikatelier Gabel GmbH, Erfurt, Germany
- Musikhaus Korn e.K., Leipzig, Germany
- Rockland, Witten, Germany
- Haef Gitaaratelier & Lifestyle, Vrouwenpolder, The Netherlands

At the moment, almost 5,000 instruments are being built per month in the factory.

And as you also can read in the above link, Ren is not only a consultant to Shadow but also to another German guitar company, German Vintage Guitars, now.
See also this post from April 9th from Frankfurt/Germany:
https://www.facebook.com/germanvint...41828.242583005928441/713667212153349/?type=3

Ralf

Last edited:

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
[…]- Sound color Acoustics, Vienna, Austria […]
Hahaha! Ralf, that made me wonder for a minute or two about a new shop in town. Then I realized: this must be Klangfarbe's acoustic department, biggest guitar store in Austria.

I guess it was their translation program and not you!?

Markus :smile:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I think that this could be a key point. If you can have someone like Ren establish efficient, high-quality production in China, and market the guitars primarily outside of the U.S., you might be pretty successful. And if Ren takes the environment into consideration while doing so, then so much the better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have 2 Ren Ferguson era Gibsons, a 2010 Woody Guthrie Southern Jumbo and a 2009 J-200 Historic Collection. Both are production guitars, not custom shop, and both kick serious ***. My first J-45 was a well worn 1953, should never have sold it, and I've played some other great vintage ones. I compared my Woody Guthrie to a new Vintage custom shop model and a 50's custom shop triburst and it was louder and more balanced than either one with better action too. (Of course mine's been set up.) I compared my J-200 to several vintage 40's and 50's models, including a killer '59 and it was 95% of that '59. Its a great recording guitar, I immediately sold my '73 after I got it. I've played several Ferguson era Bozeman Gibsons and all have been really good.