Bought a used Westerly M 120ce

TBman

Reaction score
Bought a used Westerly D 120ce

I just purchased a used D-120ce to add to my herd. This guitar is in perfect condition. I was wondering how to decipher the serial number for the new Guilds?

35953870101_9a1b98a0bf_c.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That looks more like a dread shape, which would seem to be a D-120 (or D-20 in the US builds). I don't think they ever made an M-120 cutaway (but, I could be wrong, of course.)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was wondering how to decipher the serial number for the new Guilds?
I try to note down what I found out so far. First, there is no serial number on the label, just the model number. No country of origin either, The serial number and the country of origin are on a black label on the neck block.

And there are different label styles as well. The left one is for the first generation flat back "Westerly Collection" models whereas the right one does no longer show "The Westerly Collection" but adds "Designed in California"...It is the label for the arched back models like the Jumbo Junior, the F-2512, the M-240, the D-240 or the OM-240. Look at the changed "GUILD" as well.

image_69e7867a-742c-45b7-95da-f82f297b0042_large.jpeg
003_1706.jpg

The neck block label numbering is confusing as well.
For the China made models it should start with "G": I thought it is always a 8 sign/digit serial number and it always starts with G1 = Guild China.
A D-120CE I saw has G1157208 as serial number which is year 2015.

Now that theory about what G1 is does no longer work as the Arched back models use "G2" but they are still Made in China. For instance G2172173.
So the number behind "G" seems to means something else, it could be the specific factory used.
There is a possibility that the arched back models are not made at GREE but a different Chinese factory, hence the G2.
So G1 might mean made by GREE and G2 another factor in China. Maybe.

Anyway, the next two numbers after G1 or G2 are the manufacturing year (like 15 stands for 2015) and the last 4 digits are the running numbers for a max of 9,999 Guild Westerly Collection guitars per year from China.
At least that was my understanding so far.

Now it starts to get really confusing as a D-120 and a F-1512E I recently found have no longer a 1 or 2 after the G ! They only have G and 6 numbers afterwards!

The serial is simply G170122 in below picture. Anyway, the 17 is again the year 2017.

So my new theory is:
The new California produced 2017 guitars have serial numbers like C170815 (a D-20 as example).
Maybe CMG changed the system for GREE and GREE made Guild Acoustics from some point in 2017 onwards simply use G with 6 numbers behind, same as California made Guilds use C with 6 numbers.
At least those Westerly Collection models with the new serial numbers they still use the old style Westerly Collection label.

The factory inspection hangtag that usually come with the guitar would show if they are made by GREE or not. A GREE made Guid has red Gs and black Rs all around the hangtag.

G170122-serial-xlarge.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

TBman

Reaction score
I try to note down what I found out so far. First, there is no serial number on the label, just the model number. No country of origin either, The serial number and the country of origin are on a black label on the neck block.

And there are different label styles as well. The left one is for the first generation flat back "Westerly Collection" models whereas the right one does no longer show "The Westerly Collection" but adds "Designed in California"...It is the label for the arched back models like the Jumbo Junior, the F-2512, the M-240, the D-240 or the OM-240. Look at the changed "GUILD" as well. Clearly from a different factory if you ask me.

The neck block label numbering is confusing as well.
For the China made models it should start with "G": I thought it is always a 8 sign/digit serial number and it always starts with G1 = Guild China.
A D-120CE I saw has G1157208 as serial number which is year 2015.

Now that theory about what G1 is does no longer work as the Arched back models use "G2" but they are still Made in China. For instance G2172173.
So the number behind "G" seems to means something else, it could be the specific factory used.
There is a possibility that the arched back models are not made at GREE but a different Chinese factory, hence the G2.
So G1 might mean made by GREE and G2 another factor in China. Maybe.

Anyway, the next two numbers after G1 or G2 are the manufacturing year (like 15 stands for 2015) and the last 4 digits are the running numbers for a max of 9,999 Guild Westerly Collection guitars per year from China.
At least that was my understanding so far.

Now it starts to get really confusing as a D-120 and a F-1512E I recently found have no longer a 1 or 2 after the G ! They only have G and 6 numbers afterwards!

The serial is simply G170122 in below picture. Anyway, the 17 is again the year 2017.

So my new theory is:
The new California produced 2017 guitars have serial numbers like C170815 (a D-20 as example).
Maybe CMG changed the system for GREE and GREE made Guild Acoustics from some point in 2017 onwards simply use G with 6 numbers behind, same as California made Guilds use C with 6 numbers.
At least those Westerly Collection models with the new serial numbers they still use the old style Westerly Collection label.

The factory inspection hangtag that usually come with the guitar would show if they are made by GREE or not. A GREE made Guid has red Gs and black Rs all around the hangtag.

Ralf

Thanks Ralf! Good info.

Last edited:

TBman

Reaction score
Sure looks nice! How's the bass balance?

It was even across the strings with 12s on it (D'Addario NB). I keep this guitar in DADGAD and I bought a few different bluegrass sets. I put John Pearse bluegrass on it today (12 16 24 35 45 56). The bass picked up a bit with the medium wounds

I took the pickguard off of it too. I think it looks better:

35980739060_88bfd85906_z.jpg

Last edited: