New Hygrometer Day

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sure am enjoying glancing at the numbers on this - shopped around quite a bit before stumbling upon:happy:.
It's a little over 5 1/8" OD (not including flange) and about 1 1/2" D overall...

Abbeon-Hygrometer.JPG

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! I went digital but love the brass nautical look. I still have the brass barometer that hung in my dad's study for decades. I watched my hygrometer go from 47% down to 35% as the AC did its work today. Crazy.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks GAD! You're definitely living in lower humidity than we're seeing in SW Illinois - was 101° about an hour ago... feels
like stepping into a sauna going outside... we're holed up like it's the middle of winter, LOL

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks GAD! You're definitely living in lower humidity than we're seeing in SW Illinois - was 101° about an hour ago... feels
like stepping into a sauna going outside... we're holed up like it's the middle of winter, LOL

This was inside humidity. It's about 80% humidity outside, though it was "only" 90 here.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Bonneville88, good call! I have the same instrument (Abbeon HTAB-169) in my shop, and have come to rely on it to accurately report my interior climate. I have several inexpensive digital hygrometers, all of which read much "drier" by 8 to 10%. But Abbeon stands by the accuracy of their indicator.
I hear you regarding the undesirable "sauna" effect. This time of year, my shop's dehumidifier runs nearly 24/7 to maintain 52 to 54% RH, and that's with the Trane 18 SEER AC keeping the place at 72° (To get it to down to 50% I have to move in the "big boss", a portable whole house dehumidifier. I have done that once or twice, just 'cause it's fun to watch the indicator plummet and to hear the dehumidifier turn off. ;~}). What would we do without electricity, right?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I keep the temp at 78° F inside during the summer. The older I get the warmer I like it! This has the beneficial side effect of leaving the humidity in the 50–55% range most of the time. Not to mention the lower electricity bills. :) My geetars are fine with this (aside from one temperamental Rickie): no seasonal adjustments needed.

-Dave-

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Christopher - cool! Good to know I found the right hygrometer... spent hours looking at all kinds
of new ones, but I was a goner once I saw this Abbeon... scored for well under $100 on the 'bay.
Based on what you're describing, NC may just be a little worse than St. Louis area as
far as outside RH. Electricity indeed... a power outage this time a year - not uncommon with
the severe midwestern thunderstorms / hail / high winds we get - makes one appreciate
it even more.

Dave - Michigan has to be better than here

Last edited:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Under a $100? Great price!

It's 104° (heat index) in my backyard, today, with a zillion percent RH. We have averaged one (small) thunderstorm per day over the last couple of weeks - just enough to maintain that Southeast Asia feel and fragrance. Carolina barbecue weather! LOL

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
108° actual temp yesterday... agreed, Saigon weather or damn near.
Was actually headed to listen to an outdoor bluegrass concert last night... stepped outside and I thought
"no way"... I'd be doing a wicked-witch-of-the-west act. From what I understand, the band
did play... not sure how but they did... heroes, all of 'em!

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoy a temperate climate, indoors and out. I grew up in one, and never needed AC or humidification/dehumidification. As a wiser adult, I left my idyllic home and moved to a place that doesn't support human life without electricity to produce an artificial climate. :disgust:

And I'm with you...I have great respect for all those outdoor musicians!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's been a little cooler lately - 95 degrees, with 19% humidity (outside). I only have in-the-case hygrometers. I've found the very small digital ones for $5 are just as good as the $20 'name' hygrometers. :smile-new: