Bisonics vs Darkstars

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a comparison between the Guild bisonic reissues and Novak's Dark Star bisonics.
I have a definite preference from this.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that.

That's a nice looking and simple bass.

I thought they all sounded good. Must be losing some hearing sensitivity here tonight.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
The body shape reminds me of an early '60s, MIA Epiphone Wilshire I had back in the mid 1970s. Kind of Epiphone's take on the SG. Had a neck like a baseball bat.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was surprised; I liked the Guild reissues much better than the Novaks. They seemed to have a clarity and chime while the Novaks seemed a little muddy.

Of course, listening to a YouTube video on an iPad is always open to interpretation.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It has been around before, but hey, if this gets a different audience....

The video didn't really add new info for me but then I've had a year to play with "four" Bisonics. There is a growl that happens in a hollow body but not in the solid and the difference can be dramatic to my ear. I found, especially with either variation on the Novak, that rolling off the volume makes a huge difference. At full volume there is so much going on that sometimes "muddy" is a good word. Roll it back and it clears up. The '67 Bisonic behaves similarly but the effect is not as dramatic with the Newark Street.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
here is another video from the same guy with his "tractor" bass he built, and you can really hear the Guild reissue Bisonic. he sounds great (for a youtube recording). that is a nice bass he made!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the bass player in Tedeschi Trucks band is playing a Serek with one of the Bisonics in this video. Theres a big bass solo after the drum solo