I’m finally getting a T-100D

KidAfterDark

Reaction score
I’m finally getting a T-100D

3H38j7
I’ve been wanting a Guild T-100D for years and finally should be getting one within weeks! I am told it’s a 1965 but there are a few odd things about this one that I’m unsure of! First, which pickups are these? Also, most necks I’ve seen have dots, not diamonds like this one, thirdly, where can I find a replacement pickguard that would be appropriate for this year & model. Pics attached:

WVwsHW

WJ9fv5

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennsebastian/shares/Pg4Rw6

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi KAD and welcome to the forum!

That's an interesting example of a T-100D. Here's some info and answers to your questions.
-- The inlays are definitely not standard. I think I may have seen these on Guild acoustics before, but I'm not an expert enough to claim that they signify a custom order.
-- The truss rod cover is almost assuredly not stock.
-- The Grover Rotomatic tuners became standard on some models in 1965, so they're probably original.
-- The switch tips on these are usually metal with a domed top rather than a completely round top.
-- The pickups are single coils known as "mickey mouse" pickups because the surrounds are usually black, and the tops white. Yours are different in that the outer rim of the pickup is white, whereas they're usually chrome and come up over the edges. This isn't so unusual, though, and other examples like yours pop up occasionally.
-- The bridge is an oddball. These bridges were standard equipment on the solid body S-series and M-75s, and rarely appear on the semi-hollow Starfires. I've never seen one mounted on a wooden base before, so I don't know if this was a factory thing or something someone else added later.
-- The attempted replacement pickguard is facing the wrong way, which you know, of course, and the logo is more associated with 70s-era Guilds. Guild recently started offering replacement pickguards, however, they don't offer one for your pickup configuration. That doesn't mean that one won't work, but the routs are probably going to be too big. By 1965, the stairstep style was more common on T-100s, and since the super structure is the same, the closest match might be the Starfire. You might want to email them to see if they have any without pickup routs, since the SFIII are routed for the mini-humbuckers and will be too big.
-- Is the label legible inside the guitar, and what does it say?

For replacement parts, I would first try Guild super expert and LTG member Hans Moust. He might be able to help you with some vintage parts and most definitely with learning more about the history of your guitar. Guild put out a lot of guitars that stray from the standard model appointments in the catalogs, and it's always fun and interesting to see them.

Cheers!
JP

Last edited:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Kid AD,

Welcome to LTG.

It is a little more effort to display a photo here. From your Flickr images, after selecting the full frontal view of your potential purchase and verifying the dimensions I wanted to display, I copied the BBCode address (as opposed to "Share" or "Embed" addresses). In the Insert Image popup window I pasted just the data found between the
brackets.

36048983016_8ca845637e_h.jpg

KidAfterDark

Reaction score
This is what I find concerning, doesn’t this neck heel look odd? Almost like it was puttied together or something!
I should receive it within a few days and may take it to a luthier for inspection since the seller said he’ll refund if not satisfied with the Guitar. It also comes with the original rosewood bridge, but I was told when it was installed the action was too high. Thoughts?

http://flic.kr/p/WMjd1M

WMjd1M

Last edited:

KidAfterDark

Reaction score
:crying:Ok, got the guitar today and I’m completely disappointed! There has been major undisclosed repairs done to the neck, that explains the diamond inlays, it seems the whole fingerboard was replaced. There is a big dip in the neck where it joins the body and the angle is wrong, if using the stock rosewood bridge it puts the strings almost 1/4” from the 20th fret. If I can figure out how to post pics I will. The seller said he’ll accept returns, let’s hope so!

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sound like it needs a neck reset. :-( Looks like somebody broke the heel somewhere along the way.

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Uggh! I hope you can return it. It seems that enough decent examples pop up for you to get a nice one.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey there, KAD. It sucks when sellers aren't upfront about these types of things. I'm glad you got your money back! I hope you can find a decent example from a reputable seller.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You lucked out on the refund, nice! There have been are lots of T100's up for sale - keep looking and you will find a nice one!

walrus