I need to join the club

Maloburro

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I've been a lifelong envious member of this club. I have a birthday coming up and I'm getting too old to not have a real Guild. I have 3 dreads, an old MIJ Fender, a cheap Alvarez RD and an EPI AJ SCE (which I am trying to relocate). They all play well and are nice enough but I'd like to find something around $400 as my budget is limited. I'm not too worried about country of origin or condition, more about playability. I'm even thinking about the F2512. I've only limited experience with 12 strings but that seems like a lot of guitar for the money.

Here's a thread I started in the WTB section.

[url]http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/forumdisplay.php?149-WTB

[/URL]
Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What sort of stuff do you generally play ? Some guitar are better than others with certain types of music. Do you just play on your own, or with others. Basically, how loud does it need to be ?

Maloburro

Reaction score
Hi John. I'll be using it to play for students outside at our school camp so the louder the better. I don't think a parlor size would work. Playing for them is typically old camp songs like Comin around the mountain or This land is your land.

Playing at home what I WANT to play is really anything from Blues, Country, Rock, Reggae...

Neal

Reaction score
You might be able to find an old, beat-up Westerly-made D-25 for that price, perhaps a little more, and they will put out as much tone and volume as you will ever need.

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thanks Neal. Yes that's what I've been hoping for, or a D4. There is a D240e on eBay now starting bid $279. I'm thinking if I could get it for under $300 it would be worth it. I've also seen a few USA Martins for around $400 but not a lot in my area.

There are some USA Guilds in my price range down in Southern California and a Martin about an hour and a half away in that price range. I'm torn on going the cheap route if I could get that D240e or suck it up, pay the extra $100 and get something made in USA.

I sold my F65 and RD8 yesterday to a nice young lady so I've got $130 toward the cause now. My wife and I try to set a limit of $150 on birthday presents for each other but I could go over or supplement for the right deal.

So I guess my question or advice needed would be, hold out for a $400 USA Guild or Martin, or look for a $280-$300 Guild Asian guitar.
Thanks.

Last edited:

midnightright

Reaction score
Hi there,

I love the D-4! Here's one for $450 from G. C. (but I believe they may charge tax & shipping) - perhaps you could call them and see what they can do?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guild/D4NTHR-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

It comes with a case, which sometimes with the arched back can be tricky to find a perfect fit... if you're super picky.:)

I've had three of these things and there's almost nothing I couldn't do with them (though I admittedly don't do much). The back makes for quite the projection and may suit your needs. As you may know, they're virtually the same from a structural standpoint as a D-25.

Good luck!

Maloburro

Reaction score
A Martin DX1 popped up locally for $400 with case and a DXRAE for $300 with case. Between this and the D240 at $280 I'm torn...

And then of course the possibility of holding out for a D25/D4 in my price range.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A Martin DX1 popped up locally for $400 with case and a DXRAE for $300 with case. Between this and the D240 at $280 I'm torn...

And then of course the possibility of holding out for a D25/D4 in my price range.

Do yourself a favor and try to get an American made Guild, because they really are much better. $400 is squarely in D4 territory, and maybe even D25 territory if you're patient and lucky.

I've been accused of being a snob for saying this, but I've owned a bunch of Asian-made Guilds, and none of them lasted very long around here. They're just not that good compared to their domestic counterparts. It might help to tell us roughly where you're located so we can keep an eye out for something in your area. We're experts at spending other people's money!

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thanks Sandy,

I think that's what I needed to hear. I would hate to find something only to have to trade up in a few years. I want something that I don't ever need to get rid of or upgrade.

I'm in Northern California but I've got family all over from this state and some in Las Vegas. Reno is not too far from me either.

Reaction score
I used to get import guitars... in fact I had a bunch of new 400.00 guitars! And I would tell myself that's all I could afford... for now. And they all sounded and played just fine "for the money". They all needed a little set up and tweaks. Had a couple of them that had to go back for warranty. (Neck warps, electronics, etc and Epi did have a decent warranty)
But honestly, they just didn't do it for me! And come time to sell or trade and there's no value. Got tired of tying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear...and I ultimately spent more than what I would have for a decent USA made guitar!

I decided to spend a little more and buy a used Guild...and wow! Awesome guitar. I still have it (and a few more now!) and it's still worth what I paid... and I honestly believe I'm a better player because of it ! When a guitar sounds and feels and plays great, it inspires you to play longer and better...and there's a certain pride of ownership that goes along with it!

Maloburro

Reaction score
I think I get your drift Retro. Most of what I own is electrics. They are quiet unplugged and easy to store. I have stuff all over the spectrum but I'd really like something that's decent quality. Your comment reminds me of 25 years ago in high school, my friend's dad had a really nice top end Yamaha and everything I played on it sounded great. For the longest time I wanted to find that guitar and a Guild. I realized that solely the Guild makes sense. I still want a Guild hollowbody as well, but that's clearly going to take more money.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sandy,

I think that's what I needed to hear. I would hate to find something only to have to trade up in a few years. I want something that I don't ever need to get rid of or upgrade.
I'll second it , and I'm sure quite a few others here would, too.
I just didn't want to be the first one to say it or sound like I was simply prejudiced against MIC guitars.
But there've been quite a few new members with GAD models who got curious if the domestic product really could be that much better after reading here for a while, and wound up "upgrading themselves".
So much so that we made a joke that the GAD's were the gateway drug to real Guilds.
So yeah, if you don't want to upgrade later, hold out for a domestic built.
And in fact as my tastes have matured I'd even suggest holding out for something along the lines of a D40 or D50, this from somebody who didn't think anything would ever top his D25.
But if you want crystal clear bell-like capability go for a flatback.
The archbacks (D4, D25)'ll give you plenty of sustain, volume, and woodiness, but at the expense of a little bit of mud from all the overtones if you really push 'em.
(At least in a 'hog back dread, it may be a different case with maple jumbos like F50's. Even my shallower/smaller F65ce maple archback is cleaner than the D25 but not as loud. A D30 maple archback dread is also pretty damn clean)
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in a recommendation for a D4. I've had three and they've all been impressive in every aspect. The price has always been right, too.

EX6k5Z.jpg

Bang for the buck is the bottom line here. :rugby:

Joe

jmascis

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I've been a lifelong envious member of this club. I have a birthday coming up and I'm getting too old to not have a real Guild.

My take: you've kinda answered your own question. You say you're too old not to have a real Guild. So get something classic off the used market. Which one, I don't know, but don't go for the China models etc. Get a real Guild. Also, maybe you can sell some things off (maybe hold a yardsale, etc) to get more money and increase your budget. The bottom line is we all die, and on our death beds well cherish the memories of playing great guitars more than money sitting around in bank accounts. I'd say get your budget up to $800 somehow and get an old USA Guild and play the heck out of it. If that's not possible under any circumstance, then yes, make concessions, but I'd try for the real deal before going China, etc. Pleasure > Money and that equation increases as we get older.

Honestly, if you start a donation pot I'd chip in to get you the guitar you want and I'm sure many others would, too. I pledge $25 to get you a real Guild that you want.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Ha. Crowdfunding for Guilds! Love it.

I'll chime in with the get a USA Guild crowd, and one of the cheaper ones will likely be so beat up you won't worry about it around the campfire. You just need to be sure you won't need a neck reset. $800 would probably get one in pretty good shape, but a $500-600 D 25 could be a little rough with repaired cracks etc. But I wouldn't be deterred by that at all.

jmascis

Reaction score
Ha. Crowdfunding for Guilds! Love it.

Hahaha...Well, he wants a real Guild, and I know the pleasure of that, and I think others do, too...

I'd totally chip in and make this guy's dreams come true. Especially since he says he's getting up there in age. The joy from playing your dream instrument is priceless. If he doesn't want to go that route, cool, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
US D4s are probably the best bang for the buck, and was my gateway to the world of Guilds. They are regularly available for $4-500. So, if you can stretch your budget just a little, you're there.

Maloburro

Reaction score
Well thank you all for the outpouring of knowledge and generosity! What a great forum, I'm mostly active over at TDPRI which is also a great community. Maybe I should clarify, I am not THAT old, but not getting any younger! I'll be 42 soon (although I did come down with a mean case of sciatica this week). My students won't notice a difference between my MIC laminate Alvarez that I sold, or a quality domestic guitar while we are singing our songs for our 6th grade camp. There's the old adage that Clapton, Page, Richards etc could make a 2x4 with strings sound like excalibur. I know I will enjoy it more which in turn encourages me to play more.

I appreciate everyone's offer to pitch in but I've rightfully no justification to accept charity when there are so many people who are far more deserving than myself. I need to just commit and find a way to make it happen. Again, thank you for offering! I'm humbled that you all would do that for a stranger.

The majority of the electrics I have picked up over the years have been too good to pass up. Maybe I should list them in my signature. I make it a point to not sell anything for less than I paid for it, so it's hard for me to part with gear at times. I've sold three guitars this year and they were to very nice people who were doing right by other people, so I didn't stick to my asking price, and I still broke even.

I'll just keep looking, and with your help, I'll find something. I still have the Epi AJ18sce with repaired headstock I bought last year, so I've got an acoustic to play for now. I actually kept it of the three because it has got a bit of a v neck and a more narrow nut than the two I sold, more of an electric feel. It's obviously not as loud as the two I sold but that's ok.

So I'll look for a D4 or D25. There are a few in the bay area going for $550-600 right now which seems to be the going rate on ebay and reverb. There were some in the $400 range about 6 months ago, so I'll just try to be patient. Maybe if something better came along for a little more money I can justify it and sell some other stuff off.

Thanks again for giving it to me straight. I knew that's what I needed to hear. I should say I'm almost a member of the Guild clan, I have a 2000 DeArmond M72 all original and it's an outstanding guitar. I'll go work on that signature now...

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So I'll look for a D4 or D25. There are a few in the bay area going for $550-600 right now which seems to be the going rate on ebay and reverb. There were some in the $400 range about 6 months ago, so I'll just try to be patient. Maybe if something better came along for a little more money I can justify it and sell some other stuff off.
Remember, when you're looking at the going rate on eBay, make sure to select "Sold listings" from the options on the left, not what people are asking. You'll find that it's lower than the $550-600 range you quoted. You can use the true range for negotiations.