What are our alternatives to photobucket?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I cleared my Firefox cache, logged out of LTG and Google, and looked at this thread. Pliny was there but not the orange guitar from Texas.

I opened IE which I almost never use, cleared the cache and had the same results. IE told me there was a broken image link on the orange guitar but Firrefox gave me no indication that the image was there.

Perhaps a shared album was the solution?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
We just lost 90% of the Guild amp reference thread that capnjuan created. I'm glad I saved all the pics to the harddrive, but this sucks. I can't edit the thread either, since the forum software change. <spits>

Qvart

Reaction score
Well, there's lots of news blurbs around the interwebs about Photobucket's policy change. Looks like it happened the first week of this month without warning. Pardon my French, but they can go........ok ok ok, I'm not gonna say it. But dammit we're losing years' worth of useful pics here at LTG. And yeah, what about posts from deceased members? How is Photobucket going to extort $400 a year from them? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I saw a bunch of articles about this, but none with suggestions for other free hosting sites so I did what many people do when they find themselves powerless in a given situation: I sent them nasty tweets.

geoguy

Reaction score
Imageshack, imgur (pronounced "imager", who knew?), & Flickr seem to be among the most-commonly recommended alternatives to Photobucket.

No personal experience with any of them, yet . . .

Qvart

Reaction score
Via Flickr

36028023145_824bcbcd09_b.jpg

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
We just lost 90% of the Guild amp reference thread that capnjuan created. I'm glad I saved all the pics to the harddrive, but this sucks. I can't edit the thread either, since the forum software change. <spits>

If you want to be my hero, find a way for me to reference the old forum's links, because the amount of Guild-specific knowledge no longer accessible is a travesty. Just try and follow the links in Qvarts awesome S100 sticky: http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?162865-Sticky-Guild-S-100-1970-2000 They're almost all dead links. If I can translate the links I'll write a script to fix that page.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
QV, looks like Flickr might be the ticket going forward. Well, at least I can see your picture (NICE NS, by the way!! :) ).

Fro, do you think Google might be usable with shared albums? What's the process there? I didn't ssee any way to get something out of google that can be used with an image tag.

QV/Fro, Could you guys describe the process for what you're doing? I'd like to have some sort of recommendation for LTG membership soon, but unfortuantely I'm busy doing "real" work today. :)

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
While I don't have a recommendation at the moment, I just checked the old freebie PB acct and while I don't have much uploaded, I'd lost a few things in a computer crash some years ago...checking their new changes link, I found that after logging into your account you can still access your 'library', click/open a pic or video, and click download to save it to your computer...recommend that anyone wanting to rescue any uploaded data do so immediately before they cancel that option as well.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very smart, Jane. That said, they've made their UI practically unusable with all the ads, so I'm not going there even if they let me.

But, I have all my pictures online here at casa Chaz, so I don't think there's anything lost for me except all the (organized) links that are in 15 years of posts across the internet. Oy.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you want to be my hero, find a way for me to reference the old forum's links, because the amount of Guild-specific knowledge no longer accessible is a travesty. Just try and follow the links in Qvarts awesome S100 sticky: http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?162865-Sticky-Guild-S-100-1970-2000 They're almost all dead links. If I can translate the links I'll write a script to fix that page.

When l get home tonight. I'm painting in my mil's house and l won't be home til nine-ish.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:) Good to have a sense of humor in light of this. I'm trying to find one myself, but like anything that has affected you personally, it's just sad to me rather than funny.

Sorry for being a bit melancholy, but this whole thing speaks deeply to me about what can and cannot be successful on the internet. Photobucket users probably want to blame greed for this, and I don't know how much that was a factor, but someone has to pay the bills for free use of enormous resources -- in this case, data storage and computer equipment. Along these lines, I've also seen wikipedia beg for money at times, being on the brink of extinction. What would happen if wikipedia went away. There's nothing else even remotely like it.

For that matter, our favorite web sites (LTG included) could go down permanently anytime their site owners decided it wasn't worth it.

Sigh.

Qvart

Reaction score
QV/Fro, Could you guys describe the process for what you're doing? I'd like to have some sort of recommendation for LTG membership soon, but unfortuantely I'm busy doing "real" work today. :)

Not quite as straightforward as getting a code to use from Photobucket, but so far this is what I've done (unless/until I explore more and figure out something easier):

1) Upload pic to flickr.

2) Click on pic.

3) At the bottom right there is a share icon (curved arrow that you typically see used now in apps)

4) A box appears with four options for sharing. The last one "BBcode" is a long line of text. Right click and choose "copy" or press "CTRL+C" on your keyboard. On LTG right click in your message field and choose "paste" or type "CTRL+V" and you'll see a long string of text like this:

[*url=https://flic.kr/p/WQ1ZvN][*img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4318/35986650756_aea989442e_b.jpg[/img*][/url]s-l1600 by Qvart G[/url*], on Flickr

When you copy the BBcode on Flickr you have to copy the whole thing. Just paste the code here and cut out everything before and after "" which leave the link to your picture wrapped in "img" tags like the above highlighted text. In doing this you won't need to used the "Insert picture" button above the text field.

NOTE: I added the asterisks here otherwise you wouldn't see the text but a picture instead.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm another Image Shack user who is fairly happy paying the nominal fee annually. It used to be free but then they stopped that vs. going the PB route where they just screw you over with so many ads that they've become unusable. I won't click on a Photobucket link any more. Slow and ridiculous. I know it's not free but Image Shack is a great value. And my older photos that were posted back when Image Shack was free are still there.

It totally sucks what Photobucket has done and the loss of all those old photos on the forum is tragic!! I'll just continue to pay Image Shack their 38 dollars a year.

I just looked up my first post from 2011!! Wow, what a great day that was when I came here!!

Good luck figuring this out.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Yeah, Charlie...I killed a few popups and had a running argument with IE over unsafe certificate warnings...run it anyway...no...finally beat it to the download button...but I needed to save that data...you have backup at home so don't have to run the gauntlet.

What's saddest is the way they handled their problem...instead of notifying acct holders, including the paid version, and working on a solution...they just pushed the button and blew themselves up...their site should be a dead link in no time...and something will step in to fill the void.

You could laugh at their stupidity if it would make you feel better.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
On the bright side, finding a better photo host might push me to take some better pics of my geetars & other music gear! :friendly_wink:

-Dave-