Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are our alternatives to photobucket?

What are our alternatives to photobucket?

Folks, I used to happily recommend using photobucket for free picture hosting. It was great back in the day. But apparently the free business model has not worked for them and using photobucket these days is an exercise in frustration. It's been getting worse and worse there, and is now all but unusable. I'm done, and I'm sure that I'm not alone.

This morning I tried using Google Photos and creating a link to a photo in a thread. The link works if you click on it, but there was no obvious way to get a picture inside of the [ img][ /img] tags. Is there a way to get an image URL out of Google Photos? I suspect not, but I might've missed something.

Anyway, I'm looking for some help with options. Before updating Dave's stickied thread, I thought I'd ask folks what the options are that they know of and what they think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    I am going to hang onto this little F-20 and play it as a reminder that life is sometimes rough, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the damage you accrue along the way defines who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcellis
    Growing old is a bitch.
    Guild 12-strings:
    1978 G-312NT (Westerly) - "Franzz",
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Non-Guild 12s:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

I've had an imageshack account for years of smooth sailing but recently, for some unknown reason, I can't communicate with them about paying my bill, even though I still have access to over 2K photos.
    I guess I can't complain if they're not taking my money but still allowing access. It's still a mystery.
    Bottom line is that the site itself works well for me.

Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

Other:
    Seagull S6

Joe, is there a free option at imageshack?

Photobucket offers to stop advertising, but you have to pay. I don't go for that.
    I am going to hang onto this little F-20 and play it as a reminder that life is sometimes rough, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the damage you accrue along the way defines who you are.
    Growing old is a bitch.
    Guild 12-strings:
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),

Non-Guild 12s:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1984 Taylor 655

The Photobucket thing is wild... "alternatives to photobucket" and variants must be one of the most
    googled searches lately!

I've been a happy paying Photobucket customer for years with an online business, countless photos
    hosted on PB, as a 3rd party image hosting it generally worked very well for me and my customers.

Like others, surprised that new, least expensive payment option to continue 3rd party image hosting is $400 / yr... quite a jump.

So I'm with you Chazmo... exploring options. Have been moving some things to Google Photos as of late, but as
    you've pointed out, the the 3rd party hosting using image tags are problematic, and others have posted
    that even if you figure it out, the image link is temporary.

One promising thing I've read is to open up a site on Blogger and post images there - haven't tried it yet but I will.

Pretty good list of things to look at here
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...-alternatives/
    Last edited by Bonneville88; 07-19-2017 at 01:15 PM.

I could be wrong but it seems they're not only inundating free customers with ads, they're blocking 3rd party hosting entirely. So, all my pictures over the years are now invisible? I haven't confirmed this yet, but if they're doing that, I'd run away as fast as possible.
    Growing old is a bitch.
    Guild 12-strings:
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),

Non-Guild 12s:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1984 Taylor 655

Quote Originally Posted by chazmo View Post
    I could be wrong but it seems they're not only inundating free customers with ads, they're blocking 3rd party hosting entirely. So, all my pictures over the years are now invisible? I haven't confirmed this yet, but if they're doing that, I'd run away as fast as possible.
    Yep. I was checking on an older post of mine for,someone, and, sure enough, there were the ubiquitous "we're holding your pics hostage" messages from PB.
    I've started using a free Wordpress site to stash pics and link to.

Blog Entries
    Log into Google. Open photos. Click on the one you want. Because you use Firefox on Windows you now do a right click, Copy Image Location, come over to LTG and paste the location between the IMG tags.

You can also click on the picture you want, press the stupid share thingie that looks like a < with balls, choose the generate link and then do the copy paste thing. You may join me in being frustrated because that share link cannot be embedded here, cause it is not a picture.

That is a lot of work if only because you are logged in on two different sites and you click a few times before you can get the link. I can live with that because I don't post a lot of pictures. Google Photos will synch devices to the cloud so it is relatively painless to use the phone camera and then link to it.

A friend had a friend who scored four bottles of Pliny the Elder for him. The procurer tried one and liked it so much he tried a second. My friend shared one with me. I am glad I can say I have tasted it but after being bottled and traveling across the country it was not the best beer I have ever tasted. But if you drink craft beer it is a Grail beer or perhaps like adding an ivory-billed woodpecker to your life list.
    Last edited by fronobulax; 07-19-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Waddya mean, there is no E in Pliny?
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by chazmo View Post
    Joe, is there a free option at imageshack?
    They offer a 30-day free trial and then you pay monthly or annually for Premium membership, which I've had/have and it runs about $38 a year.
    As I said before, I've tried to pay and I haven't been successful. But I can still access my pics.
    It's almost like they're floating out there in cyberspace and no one's answering the phone.

Go figure
    Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

Other:
    Seagull S6

Frono - that's cool! - but will the image still be here 30 days from now?
    Several things I've read indicate the link is temporary and will expire in
    about that time frame. I guess we can use this as a test and find out!

Last edited by Bonneville88; 07-19-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Not to be Captain Obvious, but why can't LTG be modified to upload photos directly from our computers?
    "The air's as still as the throttle on a funeral train." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp