Martin trying to be like Luna

Neal

Reaction score
I can only presume that Martin's bread and butter guitars (D-18, 000-15, 000-18, D-28, 000-28, D-35, D-45) just aren't selling like they used to, given that smaller shops can produce better guitars for the same money.

That, and the fact that there are so many Martins already out there in the used market.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, the tastes and sensibilities of younger folk does not match that of we old folk.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Disappointing to my "old folk" eyes from an aesthetic standpoint... odd combo of sterile and frumpy...
symbols / tattoo references / inside-outness are lost on me.... but they might play & sound killer...
and they might just sell... who knows

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, the tastes and sensibilities of younger folk does not match that of we old folk.
^^^^ What he said. People are paying money for Taylors and others that have the younger buyer in mind. They look for different things. Little Caitlin wants a fun looking thing like her people carry around on stage. So......

They're awful looking to me. Especially that BOAK one (whoever that is) for $3K?? YIKES!!!

tjmangum

Reaction score
I know who Jason and Dick Boak are, but who the heck is Sheeran? Did a quick google and this is what came up. Yes, I'm sort of old and cranky, but this guy is no where on my radar. Why is any of this "breaking news" worthy? Taylor Swift gets better press almost.

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
Ed Sheeran is one of the biggest acts around these days. Don't really dig him that much but at least he is playing acoustic guitars & keeping them in the mind of a younger audience. Jason Isbell is very good of course. Loved the DBT stuff too when he was with them.

bobouz

Reaction score
I've owned a number of Martins in the past & still have two of them.

But for the most part, these days their products just bore the heck out of me.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know this kind of thing isn't new with Martin, but their three new signature models are just tacky. They are trying to be like low end makers. I may not be a Martin guy, but I respected them as pure, classy, instruments. (Past tense)

Yech!
http://acousticguitar.com/new-martins-celebrate-jason-isbell-ed-sheeran-and-dick-boak/

I like the D18 Jason Isbell (could help that I'm a big fan), but $6K MSRP for an otherwise ordinary D18 with an Adirondack top? You can get basically the same thing, minus the tattoo inlay (a plus IMO), for less than half that.

Like any guitar manufacturer, Martin makes ome great, and some not so great guitars. They've just been doing for longer than anyone.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny, Ed Sheeran was the only one I recognized, though I have two teenage daughters and that's why.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I, too, only recognized Sheeran. Neither Sheeran or those guitars are my cup of tea, but no one is going after for the "old geezer" market anymore...

walrus