Guild S-300 D question

Reaction score
I picked up a Guild S-300 D in 1995 at a music shop on the big island of Hawaii. When I removed the cover plate there was written next to the serial number "Grateful Dead 7 Oct. 83" in blue ink.

The serial number (171679) is written in black ink.

I'm wondering about the dating of this guitar, and it's value, which may be affected by it's involvement with the Grateful Dead.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks-Jay

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Guild S-300 D in 1995 at a music shop on the big island of Hawaii. When I removed the cover plate there was written next to the serial number "Grateful Dead 7 Oct. 83" in blue ink.

Hello Jay,

Welcome! That particular guitar was completed during the year 1978. Other than that I can't tell you anything about that particular instrument.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering about the dating of this guitar, and it's value, which may be affected by it's involvement with the Grateful Dead.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks-Jay

Hi Jay, Welcome aboard!
While we know that Garcia, Lesh, and Weir have all owned at least 2 Guilds apiece over the years, I think provenance would be required for that guitar (or any of 'em) to have any effect on value.
I can't recall ever seeing a photo of Jerry or Bobby playing that model, but it could go a long way towards proving the guitar had any kind of association with the Dead.
Otherwise I could see it as possibly something as simple as a previous owner's note about when "he" acquired the guitar, which happened to be at a Dead show.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
We know Jerry liked Guilds. Here's a pick of him with an S100. I'd love to see pics of the guitar in questions.

Jerry_Garcia_Bob_Weir_Duke_University%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
We know Jerry liked Guilds. Here's a pick of him with an S100. I'd love to see pics of the guitar in questions.
Ah, forgot about that one! That would make 2 Starfires, at least one F50, and the S100 for Jerry.
And at least one custom Starfire and an F50, and another custom F50 (IIRC) with an oversize headstock for Bobby, and at least 2 Starfire basses for Phil.
And I think I'm still missing at least one each for Bobby and Jerry, I think Jerry got one of the "large headstock" F50's at teh same time as Booby, and I think Bobby had an SFVI, besides the earlier one with all the extra knobs on it.
Betcha Mavuser could clear that up.