Guitar Center's "new" String Club program...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
first off, sorry Pascal, this is a string thread. But I lasted like nigh 2 months right without one....

My wife got me into this club. She paid $20 and I get $5/month towards the strings of my choice.
Since I restring about once a month (well more recently as my foray in Medium gauge strings did not work out as planned...:)), this works out and saves me like $40 over the year.

So strings will cost me like $1.50.month x 12= $18
plus $20 invested

$38 bucks. Now had I bought these strings at $6.51/mo x 12=$78

Boom! Oh, yeah, I had to use a calculator for that last one there...yikes.

So how are they making money then when they are in so much trouble! My guess is the club gets me to buy my strings for the next year from them. I guess 38 bucks of my $ is better than the occasional 6 or 7 dollars once a year...thoughts?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Right - they get the money up front, even if it costs them a little. And more importantly, you go to the store to get them, right? So they are counting on at least some customers picking up something else while they are there.

walrus

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
But, when you have to go into the store and happen to lock eyes with a sexy (fill in the blank) guitar, boom! They gotcha.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Woody, next time you go in see if they have a myrtle wood Breedlove Oregon concert. Spruce top is nice, but the one with the myrtle wood top is exceptional too!! If they have one, give it a go just for fun!! :devilish:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom I just sent you a PM about the Breedlove you mentioned. Have a good one!

TX

MLBob

Reaction score
When one of the kids got me a string club membership for X-Mas a few years back, I always would find the best price online and then have GC match it as per their policy. Then they'd apply my discount on top of the price match.
Bob

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's called "Loss Leader" and its been a mainstay of retail forever!

ah, so that is what loss leader means, thanks. totally get it. so 40 bucks a year from me is better than 10 :)
and maybe i will buy a guitar or get work done there on my D25...i get it. I am glad GC is near me now, for however long they will continue to exist.