Westerly vs Tacoma built

Reaction score
New to the forum...I'm in the market for a new acoustic and REALLY wanting a Guild after playing a Tacoma built F50R. For those with experience, are there any big differences in sound and/or playability between the Tacoma and Westerly era? I'm currently looking at D55, JF55R and F50R models.
Thanks for any info/advice!

Dday

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have examples from both locations and both are good. The variability between individual guitars (no matter where they were made) is far greater than any variation between factories, if there even is any.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Tacoma-builts are obviously newer (2005-2008), so it's probably easier to find one in excellent condition. Westerlys are anywhere from 1967-2001. Coronas slipped in there from 2002-2004. I hear you about the F50R. I recently scored one out of the New Hartford plant (2009-2014), and it's just the ultimate 6-string as far as I'm concerned.

I had the same question when I first arrived - Is the Guild quality and tone any better from one plant as opposed to another? The answer is basically no. Guild has been remarkably steady in producing quality guitars throughout its various plant locations.

Looks like a nice burst Tacoma-built F50 is up on ebay for the next few weeks, with the unbraced, arched maple back instead of the braced rosewood. The guy's asking $1699, but he's accepting offers. In any case, good luck in your search!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A Tacoma F50R has a different construction and some different materials from a Westerly or Corona Model. Tacoma F50R's starting sometime in late 2005-2006 have Scalloped Adirondack Bracing as opposed to the Sitka Bracing of Westerly and Corona. The Builds also started to become lighter at the same time than the earlier models which some say leads to more resonance. F50R's from Tacoma up through New Hartford have all pretty much the same build characteristics of lighter builds with Red Spruce scalloped bracing. New Hartford Guilds were the culmination of the different construction and materials that were implemented in Tacoma and Every Tacoma or New Hartford Guild I have played had a real bit of Magic to it. New Hartford also used solid ebony wood for the headstock Faceplate on F50R's. Some here including myself think that Tacoma through New Hartford Guilds are some of the finest Guitars made by anyone ever. I own a 2013 New Hartford F50R and a 2012 New Hartford F50 Maple as well as a 2014 F512 (twelve string version of the F50R). Those guitars are on my "Never Sell" list as I know I would never be able to replace them in tone or playability.

Best of luck in your search and I hope you find what you are looking for, Guild Jumbos are Awesome no matter what but if I had my choice I would go for a Tacoma or New Hartford built F50R before I went for a Westerly JF55.

TX

Last edited:

6L6

Reaction score
Never met a USA-built Guild I didn't love! But if given the choice, my favs are the ones built in Tacoma.

Neal

Reaction score
Tacoma really had it going on, and excellent examples can often be had for considerably less than the New Hartford Guilds.

I have owned a number of guitars from both Tacoma and NH and they are of comparable quality.

swiveltung

Reaction score
It's pretty hard to go wrong with a Westerly R.I. Guild... assuming you do your homework on the specific guitar. Didnt the Tacomas have some finish issues? I say there are always learning curves in new enterprise. Tacoma was short lived and there must have been some lessons learned in that short time.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses and info! I had heard there were some cases on the Tacomas where the finish along the side of the fretboard would wear off, but I've only seen one example. I'm leaning toward the Tacoma due to the playability and sound of my friend's F50R...simply amazing! Looking at a couple of D55's for myself. Fingers crossed that I'll have one soon.

Neal

Reaction score
Corona Guilds had finish issues on a fairly small number of examples.

The Tacoma models that were discontinued were the Contemporary Series, some of which had problems with an experimental fretboard extension/neck joint.

Still, there are a lot of excellent examples of them, as well.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can think of two examples of a very minor issue with Tacoma builds - the pick guards move. It happened on my DV6, and another forum member reported it as well. Careful removal of the pick guard using a hair dryer and some double-stick tape to re-attach it and you are done. Don't be like me and get impatient - you'll end up creasing the pick guard. Let the heat do its job.

Antney

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses and info! I had heard there were some cases on the Tacomas where the finish along the side of the fretboard would wear off, but I've only seen one example. I'm leaning toward the Tacoma due to the playability and sound of my friend's F50R...simply amazing! Looking at a couple of D55's for myself. Fingers crossed that I'll have one soon.

Hmmmm....the finish wore off on areas of the side of my fretboard, and it's a westerly. However I'm happy to report it hasn't affected the guitars tone at all.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....the finish wore off on areas of the side of my fretboard, and it's a westerly. However I'm happy to report it hasn't affected the guitars tone at all.

Antney I don't remember if you'd told us what you have, but I do recall Hans Moust mentioning that padauk necks used on some Westerly models (Late '80's D50's "IIRC"?) proved to be problematic over time: The wood was too oily and the lacquer would lose adhesion.
That could a different issue than simple wearing off of finish from lots of finger rubbing. I think that's generally started by a small nick or chip gradually expanding as the edges get worn away from playing.
At Dday:
Over the course of almost 10 years reading here, the number of reports of finish issues I can recall arrising from an actual flaw in material or workmanship for Guilds in general has been VERY small.
If you're looking at a guitar that doesn't already show it, it probably never will.

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the info and help! I bit the bullet today and won the bid on a 2005 Tacoma D55. I was considering a F50R after playing my friends, but I think the D55 will suit me a little better. He also has a Westerly jumbo (F55? 65?, can't remember) which was great, but for me the Tacoma-era beat it out. It had a little more clarity to my ears. Now....the waiting until it arrives.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks again for all the info and help! I bit the bullet today and won the bid on a 2005 Tacoma D55. I was considering a F50R after playing my friends, but I think the D55 will suit me a little better. He also has a Westerly jumbo (F55? 65?, can't remember) which was great, but for me the Tacoma-era beat it out. It had a little more clarity to my ears. Now....the waiting until it arrives.

I hear those D55s are fantastic!