Preparing To Sell My F-212

Chamlin

Reaction score
As I've shared previously, I bought my F212 new in 1973 and played it as a 12-string for 10 years. I started playing it as a 6-string and have done so for the last 34 years. Luthiers rave about its sound and the neck; it's in great condition.

And...just like I did last year when I sold my same era Gibson SG Standard and got a Strat, it's time for me to get a proper 6-string.

I don't have to sell it, but once I get my new guitar I know I will not play this one anymore. I would love for this to find its way into the hands of someone who will cherish it like I have.

Questions:
1. Would it be good to get a written "review/assessment" of it from a respected luthier?
2. Do I need to get it restrung as a 12-string before selling it? Seems a waste to have it "set up" when the new owner would likely want their own setup but I do want someone to feel comfortable about buying it.
3. Best way and places to sell it?
4. Offer it here first?

Thanks all! Grateful for any input.
Chamlin

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Yours are interesting questions. I expect there will be many different opinions. IMHO, since your F 212 has lived as a 6 stringer for the past 34 years, it probably will be quite a challenge to its structure to put up with the stresses associated with 12 strings. However, anyone looking for an F 212 will be looking for a playable F 212, fulling loaded. It may be difficult to find a buyer, unless you offer it at a very alluring price point. LTGers will probably be the best group to make the move; at least you'll find out where the concerns of potential buyers rest.

Best of luck!

Chamlin

Reaction score
Thanks, Rich. Good input. Yes, I should take the guitar to my luthier and have him do his magic to make sure the guitar will be "right" as a 12-string. Now that you've said it, it's obvious! :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Although you are not the only person who has raved about a Guild 12 being used as a six, you will have a much easier time describing what you are trying to sell if it is a functional 12 string. So go for the inspection and set up.

The answer to best place to sell is always "try here first". I personally trust a local dealer, Reverb and eBay more than Craigslist but I am not likely to pocket as much money when the deal gets done.

If I've never heard of your luthier then I don't care what s/he says. But there are several measurements I want - bridge height, action at 12th fret, etc. etc. and I might trust those measurements to be accurate if your luthier made them and recorded them in writing.