Guild D-150 Westerly Collection

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The guilds easliy hold there own . In this vid the Guild is warmer and more balanced even with the lowend muting or chunking as I would call it

With the Yamaha over all brighter or thinner sound depending on inturputation once the lowend muting is taking place with the Yamaha it's lowend seems to drone a dull under tone .

That could easily be the opposite if you bought both guitars and did the same comparison.

If you buy online you'll never know what said differeances will be unless both are in hand .

Yamaha make great quality guitars but it comes down to tone or what your ear likes best

I'd take a beat up trash bound cracked up guitar over anything new if it had " The Tone "

A friend bought a alveraze Cedar top rosewood back and sides 1,200 sell price new but it was beat up , chunks out of the top and all . She's a bluegrasser she bought for 350 .

I have to say she scored and I was very impressed with it . Thing is are they all that good tone wise ?

Do there ya go lol hope this helps 😁

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
The guilds easliy hold there own . In this vid the Guild is warmer and more balanced even with the lowend muting or chunking as I would call it

With the Yamaha over all brighter or thinner sound depending on inturputation once the lowend muting is taking place with the Yamaha it's lowend seems to drone a dull under tone .

That could easily be the opposite if you bought both guitars and did the same comparison.

If you buy online you'll never know what said differeances will be unless both are in hand .

Yamaha make great quality guitars but it comes down to tone or what your ear likes best

I'd take a beat up trash bound cracked up guitar over anything new if it had " The Tone "

A friend bought a alveraze Cedar top rosewood back and sides 1,200 sell price new but it was beat up , chunks out of the top and all . She's a bluegrasser she bought for 350 .

I have to say she scored and I was very impressed with it . Thing is are they all that good tone wise ?

Do there ya go lol hope this helps 😁

Thanks for the info!

I am not sure why you brought up Yahama, though. Are they built in the same factory or something?

I believe these D-150s are made in China, so I was wondering about the quality and craftsmanship. I have no at all been impressed with Chinese guitars, but people say they're on the rise with their builds. Personally American and Japanese are the only I find making quality instruments.

BUT, in this video, it did sound really good to my ear.

swiveltung

Reaction score
I played a couple of the smaller ones in a store. I thought they were pretty good for the price. Here's a comparison chart I made, which includes some other things too. .....unfortunately the one you are considering isnt on there but you might look up the specs on it. Pay close attention to nut width etc if that matters to you. I liked the M240.

jmascis

Reaction score
Wow, cool chart. I'm surprised how many have 1 3/4 nuts.

Also none of them have ebony?

What's the cheapest USA guild currently being offered with an Ebony board?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I believe these D-150s are made in China, so I was wondering about the quality and craftsmanship. I have no at all been impressed with Chinese guitars, but people say they're on the rise with their builds.
Yes, ALL Guild's GAD guitars and the "Westerly Collection' guitars are MIC.
Personally American and Japanese are the only I find making quality instruments.
BUT, in this video, it did sound really good to my ear.
Your observation is in line with just about everybody's who've given the instruments an open minded listen: that they represent a VERY good value in price-to-quality.
See this thread for more in-depth background about the gestation and quality of materials and design sources:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?193469-GAD-F-130-Serial-GAD-73309
They've been around for over 10 years now, plenty of time to iron out any kinks in the manufacturing.

"J" I think you're gonna have to look at at the D55 which is just beginning to hitting production, don't know if they've even shipped any yet.
Then the F55 which they haven't even started building yet.
Guild typically reserved ebony for their top-of-the-line builds and Oxnard seems to be maintaining that tradition.

Reaction score
Wow, cool chart. I'm surprised how many have 1 3/4 nuts.

Also none of them have ebony?

Thanks for posting that chart, super helpful.

Last edited: