Bought a M-20 -- Factory Setup Specs?

jmascis

Reaction score
Hey guys. I had to buy one of these (the USA M-20 reissue in sunburst) online b/c I couldn't find a dealer, so it will be a crap shoot. They want to know how I'd like it setup. Does Guild have a site where they give recommendations for each guitar?

Personally, I like about 2.25mm on the Low E/12th fret on my electrics. I'm not sure how that translates, as my only acoustic is a junky yahama from the 90s.

My style is strumming and fingerpicking. Do you guys have suggestions on how to have them set it up? My touch is light to medium, except when strumming aggressively...then I tend to dig into the strings more. Also, if the saddle is lowered to make the action ~2.25 to 2.5 range, they'd have to adjust the nut as well, correct?

I'm worried about them overdoing it and the strings buzz/flop from too low a nut. I'd be curious to hear what you guys think would be a good setup for this guitar in terms of relief, action, and nut. Thanks!

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey guys. I had to buy one of these (the USA M-20 reissue in sunburst) online b/c I couldn't find a dealer, so it will be a crap shoot. They want to know how I'd like it setup. Does Guild have a site where they give recommendations for each guitar?

Personally, I like about 2.25mm on the Low E/12th fret on my electrics. I'm not sure how that translates, as my only acoustic is a junky yahama from the 90s.

My style is strumming and fingerpicking. Do you guys have suggestions on how to have them set it up? My touch is light to medium, except when strumming aggressively...then I tend to dig into the strings more. Also, if the saddle is lowered to make the action ~2.25 to 2.5 range, they'd have to adjust the nut as well, correct?

I'm worried about them overdoing it and the strings buzz/flop from too low a nut. I'd be curious to hear what you guys think would be a good setup for this guitar in terms of relief, action, and nut. Thanks!
The nut is set up first, regardless of string height. If it's too high, you're going to hate having to play an F chord (and it can cause intonation issues when fretting on the 1st fret.) The height will be handled by the saddle and relief.
I wouldn't worry about factory specs; you want it set up for your playing. You have a couple of clashing wants: light fingerstyle, and heavy strumming, so you need to find a balance. Which is more important to you? Can you put up with a little buzz when hard strumming (where it will be less noticeable)? Or do you want a higher, less light action in order to avoid any buzz?
Instead of specifying height, I'd tell them what you're looking for, whether that's low with a little room for the hard stuff, or higher within reason. Since they are taking the trouble to ask, it sounds like they will be able to accommodate you regardless.

(Personally, I like my old M-20 light and low. It's really more of a fingerstyle guitar than a big dread that works well for hard pick work.)

jmascis

Reaction score
Thanks, that's really good advice. I wasn't sure how to handle the conflicting styles. I have a bad habit of wanting one guitar that can do it all. It's a very bad habit when you play like 5 different styles of music from blues to rock to jazz...yet don't have deep pockets.

My original goal for this guitar was more finger-picking, so I guess I will lean toward that. Then add a dread later on.

What would you target for an action? Like 2mm or so?

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of mahogany the new m-20s are made out of? I wrote Guild to ask. If they respond, I will update the thread, but curious if anyone knows.

swiveltung

Reaction score
Martin has specs for string height. It's more on the low E and less on the high E tapering across. Something like 3.0 low and 2.0 high .. dont quote me. The seller will set it up? I'd be tempted to try as is first but hard to say... I played one in a store and it played pretty well.
I found this, not a lot of help I guess.:
"Martin factory specs: String height at 12th fret- Bass E; 3/32 min.-7/64 max. Treble E; 1/16 min.-5/64 max. Maximum neck relief at 7th to 9th fret-.010" String height at nut- Bass E: .024 max.-Treble E: .016 min. "

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
Yes they're willing to set it up because I bought it from a shop. I told them a good nut for F chords, a business card's height of relief, and 2.25mm to 2.5mm action. Can always go down on that saddle so I'd rather stay above 2mm.

jmascis

Reaction score
I just wanted to give a head's up that the shop opened the case today to inspect it and found a blemish on the guitar. I also saw one listed on Reverb that was discounted b/c it had a blemish. Makes me wonder about the new QC...granted it's just 2 guitars, but I don't think many M-20s are being made and it makes you wonder why they didn't catch this. To be fair as well, the guy selling one on reverb with a blemish didn't state if that came from someone playing it as a floor model, which is possible. Mine was brand new out of the case, so that wasn't the issue here.

The shop is going to request a new one.

Update: Wow, 3 month wait! Here are images of the scuffs: http://imgur.com/a/inPNn

The shop is offering me this one at a discount ($100 off) or a brand new one but with a 3 month wait. What would you guys do?
I seriously can't believe that passed QC. The shop just opened it up out of the box today and found that.

Last edited:

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
YMMV and my opinion is worth what you're paying for it....

But no way would I go for only $100 off, given what you're paying for that guitar. The edges I could probably touch up to my satisfaction; that divot on the side, with the satin finish, not so much.

jmascis

Reaction score
Agree, CA. I declined that offer and requested a new one from Guild. I hope this is just a one time thing and not their new QC.
I would expect at least $200 off for those issues, but the dealer told me it would depend on what Guild was offering him as a discount, and I guess it wasn't much.