Reaction score
looking at a D50 online,seems to cost less than the westerly
opinions?
David

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Use all usual precautions and check out geometry and condition and BUY those Coronas. That's what I'd say. Is this "online sales" or "you have it in your hand" sales??? Makes a huge difference to me but not everyone...... some people think that Corona Guilds should fetch less money as it was a transitional thing for a couple of years. Personally, any one I've played was amazing. So...... maybe negotiate?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
David, the verdict is that you should be able to get a superb instrument for a low(er) price. Good luck in the hunt. Take advantage of the perception issues and get your price.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
IMHO, Corona builds are similar to Westerly, Tacoma, Hoboken etc. You can get some good ones and you can get some not so great ones. I've owned several Corona built Guilds and I've experienced both really excellent ones and a couple not so much so. But, I think it's true that typically, you pay less for a comparable Corona model. The flip side is also typically true, you'll likely get less when you sell as well.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Davey, just watch out for a blacked-out s/n on the label and a barcode sticker there or over the similarly defaced s/n on back of headstock.
Those are signs of an instrument that went through a refurbishing outfit, MIRC, who liquidated Guild inventory for Fender at close of Corona. Those instruments were dumped on the market without warranty and are probably the biggest source of Corona's poor reputation and generally lower values on the market.
A lot of those instruments actually appear to have had no problems (I think RetroRockers' F50 is one of those), but because of the liquidation price Fender did not offer warranty, and part MIRC's job was to ensure those were adequately identified.
Even the ones with problems were in fact professionally refurbished by them.
Just watch out for sellers asking as much for an MIRC as a "first", it'll bite you harder if you ever go to sell it.
I have a "factory first" Corona D40 and honestly when I bought it and got it home I was a little surprised at the sound.
Given their reputation I expected it to be louder than my D25.
But fit and construction were every bit as good as the 2 Westerlys and finish was actually the best of the bunch.
Anyway Coronas weren't even getting much respect here around 2007 when I first started lurking.
As I kept informal mental tabs on first-time buyer response, Coronas seemed to have the highest rate of "Underwhelmed" new owners, compared to the other factories, even then it seemed like it was only about 1 out of 6 or so.
In the meantime I noticed my D40 was slowly "finding its voice"
Then a couple of years back I saw a comment from ex-Fender CEO Larry Thomas (maybe it was his son, I've never been able to find the article again) in an interview, that his opinion was that guitars hit a "sweet spot" between 10-15 years of age, and I thought to myself "By golly, my D40's proof of that" .
Coronas ('02-'04) are now hitting that 10-15 year old sweet spot, and in the last couple of years new owner appreciation of Coronas has hit virtually 100%.
There's also a great article by former member here Jay Pilzer, outlining some of the changes that occurred in Corona that in his opinion did lower the quality, but I think time has vindicated Corona Guilds at last:
http://www.vintageguitar.com/21567/guild-in-the-post-fender-era/

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Corona-built JF30-12. A good one!

gfj350.jpg

Reaction score
Davey, just watch out for a blacked-out s/n on the label and a barcode sticker there or over the similarly defaced s/n on back of headstock.
Those are signs of an instrument that went through a refurbishing outfit, MIRC, who liquidated Guild inventory for Fender at close of Corona. Those instruments were dumped on the market without warranty and are probably the biggest source of Corona's poor reputation and generally lower values on the market.
A lot of those instruments actually appear to have had no problems (I think RetroRockers' F50 is one of those)[/url]

Actually, for the record, my F-50 is a N.H. 2013.
My black JF 30 is a Corona/MIRC...and i got it for less than 1/2 of what normal used JF30s were going for. And it already had the K&K Mini w/volume control installed. (It actually made me a convert to K&K!) Overall, it's a fine guitar! (Had a small repaired crack).
My other Corona is an X160 Rockabilly (NOT MIRC). Flawless!

Yes, you should be able to get somewhat of a "deal" on the Corona-made Guilds, using the less-than-stellar rep (deserved or not!), and a KILLER deal on ANY MIRC guitar. And, yes, when you go to sell it, you'll probably get less too. But while you own it, you have a great guitar at a value price...providing its a good guitar to start with. Just test the instrument on it's own merits of sound, playability, feel, structure and fit & finish...not on what the label says.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Corona Guilds are great guitars and I own or have owned several of them. I never had a bad one acoustic or electric. I have found that the Acoustic builds are a bit heavier from the Corona era but believe it or not it does not affect the amount of tone and volume they can put out. Most Corona production Acoustics I have seen also have a bit more mass in the wood bridges which also has had no adverse affect on the output they have. Great Guitars for Great Prices.

Just something to add on, A D50 from Corona is at least to this point one of the last of the "Traditional" D50 builds in my opinion. When I say Traditional I mean Sitka Spruce Top, EIR back and sides, Sitka Bracing, Ebony Fretboard, and the same binding appearance as the Westerly models that go all the way back to the early 70's.

Once production was moved to Tacoma they changed the D50's specs to an Adirondack top, Tortoise binding, Scalloped Adirondack bracing, and a different overall appearance from the traditional Westerly made D50's. These continued through New Hartford and in New Hartford they made the D50 Standard as well. While the D50 Standard was a great guitar it still didn't have the ebony fretboard and same build/wood specs/appearance as the Corona and Westerly models.

Personally I think the Corona D50's are one of the Best bang for the buck guitars on the used market. They can often be had in excellent condition as a First run guitar for between $800-$1000 with the OHSC and sometimes an added pickup as well. Best of luck in your search and I hope this info helps a bit!

TX

Last edited:

Daveyo

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied
a wealth of information!
we will see if I pull the trigger,
hope to buy a D50 or a D52
I sold my D50 about a yr ago to someone on the forum to my great regret
Dave

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied
a wealth of information!
we will see if I pull the trigger,
hope to buy a D50 or a D52
I sold my D50 about a yr ago to someone on the forum to my great regret
Dave

D-52's and DV-52's would definitely be Westerly made only. In Corona they only made the D50 and the D55 as Rosewood dreads IIRC. Any chance of possibly purchasing your old D-50 back from the person you sold it to here on the forum? Just an Idea since you miss it so much. You are not alone as I am sure most of us here would love to have at least one Guild back that we let go of. I know of two or three I would like back personally. I get misty eyed just thinking about them.:sorrow:

Best of luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted as you know how much we all love seeing New Guitar Day threads!

TX