Your favorite singers from the '60's

deebeewhy

Reaction score
Adorshki, I love this! You sound just like a friend of mine who was the music critic at the University of Chicago Maroon from 1966-1970. And I can't say you're wrong, either. But I do bet you're just a little older than I am: I'm 1957. You? I will say in my defense, if I need one: Fillmore East, Eat a Peach, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, American Beauty. I am saddened to admit The Band and The Who were already declining. But in 1973, even Benny and the Jets were singing "We'll fight our parents out in the street to see who's right and who's wrong!" Long live the 60s! (70s?)

silverfox103

Reaction score
Female: Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul

Male: Bobby Vee, who recently died of alzheimers disease

In those days, there wasn't a sharp divide between country and rock / pop music. Tammy Wynette and Ray Charles, the "genius", as he was called, were as big as they get and played on rock stations. Today they probably would be mainly on country station. Dusty Springfied, she was a powerhouse, who left her estate to her cat, if I remember correctly.

Almost forgot about Dionne Warwick, she had a long, long career. She wouldn't have overtaken Aretha, that I picked, but definitely given her a run for the money.

Tom

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Technically, the Carpenters started in the '60's, and released their first studio album in '69.

Tragically, Patsy Cline died in '63 and Jim Reeves in '64, so they were definitely singing in the '60's too.

MancJonny

Reaction score
Bob Dylan - hands down, no contest.

Dylan's only "connection" (if it can be called that) with Guild guitars that I am aware of is the fact that his heavily refurbished / modified Gibson Nick Lucas Special acoustic, which he used from 1964-1966, had a Guild-type bridge and Guild scratchplate / pickguard.

If you Google Nick Lucas / Dylan / Guild you can check the references.

I'd be very interested to hear of any other connections between the Maestro & Guild . . . . !

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adorshki, I love this! You sound just like a friend of mine who was the music critic at the University of Chicago Maroon from 1966-1970. And I can't say you're wrong, either. But I do bet you're just a little older than I am: I'm 1957. You?
March '56 :friendly_wink:
I will say in my defense, if I need one: Fillmore East, Eat a Peach, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, American Beauty. I am saddened to admit The Band and The Who were already declining. But in 1973, even Benny and the Jets were singing "We'll fight our parents out in the street to see who's right and who's wrong!" Long live the 60s! (70s?)

Fillmore East (Allman Bros): '71, Peach: '72,Beauty: '70, Sticky Fingers: '71, Exile: '72
Was never a real big Band fan, but Who's Next: '71
"Benny and the Jets" make me think of Elton John, who was another one of those guys I absolutely couldn't stand back in the day. Even now only like a couple of the very earliest tunes like "Levon"
For a peace offering though, following up on the Dusty Springfield votes, from 1967:

:smile-new:

Last edited:
Reaction score
In the 60's they were the hippies and Woodstock 1969 we became the the freaks, there was a transition and all ended in a thing called disco. The music of the early 70's spilled over withe the peak of The Dead,Allman Brothers and The Band, anybody go to Watkins Glenn?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I graduated High School in 61 and we were still listening to them.

"Cathy's Clown" and "When Will I be Loved":1960; last top 10 hit "That's Old Fashioned" 1962, but they probably were better known for their '50's stuff.
I only really got hip to 'em in the '80's, realizing that "Wake Up Little Suzy" segued real good into "After Midnight" .... :biggrin-new:
...and that they were a whole lot closer to Buddy Holly's "rockabilly" style than say, Perry Como or Paul Anka or Neil Sedaka....who I see as " '50's Holdovers" stylistically:
The predecessors of the "Singer/songwriter" thing that revived about 10 years later.
Which reminds me of the whole "Brill Building" thing:
Sedaka and Neal Diamond were alumni (Neil's another one who deserves "Great Voice" props along with great songwriting skills: "Cracklin' Rosie", "Cherry Cherry", "Shilo", "Solitary Man"), and Mann And Weill:
"We Gotta Get outta this Place"; "On Broadway"; "Walkin' In The Rain"
and Goffin and (Carole) King: "Will You Love Me Tomorrow"; "The Locomotion"; "Pleasant Valley Sunday".
The Monkees trace their lineage straight to the Brill Building thru Don Kirshner who secured the talents of his cohorts for a lot of their material:
"I'm a Believer"
"Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)"
"Shades of Gray"
"A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You"
and the above-mentioned "Pleasant Valley Sunday"

NO study of '60's pop music (at least, American pop) can be complete without understanding the significance of the Brill Building.
Other alumni included Bacharach & David, Leiber/Stoller, and Bobby Darin.
Speaking of whom (yes I know he didn't it write it, but);
"Mack the Knife".
Absolutely magnificent.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was luck to see the Don and Pill at The Greek Theater in L.A. after their reunion and then hung out for a short time in their dressing room, Oh what a night,

Saw the Monkees at The Greek in 86, the problem with that show no Mike and Davy ran around in a white jumpsuit and black undies,

I was twelve when the Monkee's hit the TV and the first Everly Brothers was "Two Yanks In England"

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great list above, what great AM radio hits to cruise to
I love to press the old notsalgia buttons, especially for an appreciative audience, and you certainly provided the serve for a wonderful set of rallies all around.
Yes, and reminding me an awful lot of Goldie Hawn in that vid.
I have seen some of those photos but don't recall ever seeing the ladies ID'd, and actually don't remember ever hearing of Cake until now.
I just saw the Crosstown Torrents site link and even have Chris Welch's Hendrix bio that link mentions, obviously I completely forgot her name.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"The Look of Love". What a sexy song. :redface-new:

Too many singers to name, but I am going to just veer slightly and say Burt Bacharach is a great composer! So many great '60's songs that he wrote...

walrus

refret

Reaction score
Watkin's glen

In the 60's they were the hippies and Woodstock 1969 we became the the freaks, there was a transition and all ended in a thing called disco. The music of the early 70's spilled over withe the peak of The Dead,Allman Brothers and The Band, anybody go to Watkins Glenn?
Yup, July 28, 1973.......
I found a website and was shocked to see a photo with me in the middle....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was twelve when the Monkee's hit the TV...
There's a few of us here who know about the Monkees' actual "hip credentials" which were probably carefully screened from their teenybopper fans during the day.
From here http://www.psycho-jello.com/monkees/peterhouse.htm :
"Linda Jones (Davy's first wife) explains: "Whenever we would go over to Peter's house, generally, by the pool, naturally, there were a lot of unclothed people. And since we had our clothes on all of the time, we felt out of place." Not only that, but people often dived into the pool naked from Peter's bathroom window. Peter explains: "I'd rather have nude swimming. It's much easier. There's a certain charge to bodies if they're covered up, and if you remove that, it takes a lot of that extra energy out of things." What a sex god.

Like his previous residence, his Studio City place became a hippie haven and a haven for celebrities. When in town to promote Yellow Submarine, George Harrison and Ringo Starr dropped by. The Hollies were personal guests of Peter's when they came to town, as was The Who. Stephen Stills was always there hanging out, as was Buddy Miles, John Sebastian, and members of the Buffalo Springfield. Like most houses of debauchery, Tork's second house has quite a reputation."

At least I never knew about Peter's party house when I was a a kid and only discovered the Zappa/Turtles/Jack Nicholson connections via "HEAD" long after the fact, mid '70's I think it was, from my jamming buddy who turned me on to Zappa.
Only much later did I discover the Stills/Hendrix/Buffalo Springfield/CSNY/Joni Mitchell/Jim Fielder connections detailed here:
https://battleofearth.wordpress.com...-the-birth-of-the-hippie-generation-part-xvi/
Presented here mainly for others who might be interested in what was really going on in Laurel Canyon LA in the mid '60's
Yeesh.
No wonder Zappa wanted his bands to be clean.
But I'm guessing that you may have been aware of a lot of the history in that blog, even if only in retrospect, just from being "in the biz", on the "nuts & bolts side", if I understand the role of personal assistant to Zappa..somebody's gotta set up the gigs and co-ordinate logistics and such, I'm guessing?
Take care of stuff Frank shouldn't have to mess with while juggling composing, touring, and recording?
The business dealings and connections detailed in that blog are a fascinating story in themselves.

"My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" is my favorite Mothers tune from the '60's.
But unlike a lot of his fans I was drawn far more to his jazz/instrumental stuff like "King Kong" and Waka/Jawaka than the "comedy music" Aynsley Dunbar complained about in "200 Motels".

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Only much later did I discover the Stills/Hendrix/Buffalo Springfield/CSNY/Joni Mitchell/Jim Felder connections detailed here:
https://battleofearth.wordpress.com...-the-birth-of-the-hippie-generation-part-xvi/
Presented here mainly for others who might be interested in what was really going on in Laurel Canyon LA in the mid '60's
Yeesh.

I love that the article is from "The Center for an Informed America".

Seriously, the connections discussed are very interesting. The author's derogatory opinions of the musical talents of some of the people he discusses are less so.

walrus

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The author's derogatory opinions of the musical talents of some of the people he discusses are less so.
walrus

Yeah, a little snarky.

But how's this for an early "supergroup": "Stephen Stills, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Miles, David Crosby … and Monkee Peter Tork"