Your favorite singers from the '60's

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is tough, but;

Male: I gotta go with Jim Morrison.

Female: Karen Carpenter. Yeah, no kidding.

Remember: I said "60's."

Reaction score
Even if I worked with The Doors

I would say Bob Dylan

As for female Maria Muldair

Early 60's Mike Smith from Dave Clark 5 and Roger Miller

For the gals Petula Clark and Marianne Faithfull

And girl group The Cake

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, Tim Buckley had quite the voice.

Then there's Grace Slick, Laura Nyro, Janis...

IOW, all of them.

Sal

Reaction score
Joni Mitchell
Nat King Cole (o.k., maybe this is a stretch of his timeline but he was still active to mid-60s)

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Male: John Denver or Paul Simon.

Female: If Karen Carpenter was singing in the 60s, I'll pick her in a heart beat.

kostask

Reaction score
Male: Jack Bruce or Roger Daltry
Female: Grace Slick

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think people are taking liberties with "the 60's" and listing people and groups who may or may not have started in the 60's. We're talking 1969 or so. Which to me isn't the 60's. It's the cusp. I love Karen Carpenter. She's one of my favorites. And I had a bunch of people I wanted to contribute. But realize in 1969 I was 15/16 years old. And that was the END of the 60's to me. Graduated HS in 1971. So to be true to the TOPIC, I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into this whole thing.

I remember almost all my records had MOTOWN labels and I loved the Supremes. And they were the BEST!!

I remember as a boy buying this 45 and coming home and playing it until my parents made me stop!! Bless my heart, you know? This is the long and agonizing version that I love. I shows how AMAZING Motown was at that time!!

More in my next post.....

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now you have to realize that 60's was a transitional period. I also listened to stuff like THIS:

Then there was a very different type of music I listened to. I grew up in Southern California outside of Los Angeles. Will Rodgers and Malibu were my local beaches. Even though I was young my brother (who was 7 years older than me) had a huge influence on me. I think surf music is amazing if done right. And the Beach Boys certainly did it right!!!

So I think these groups transitioned into the 70's somewhat, but I think most of what you're posting is 70's music.

It was a long time ago. We forgets, right?? LMAO!! :encouragement::encouragement:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Female: Dusty Springfield

Male: Levon Helm (The Band), although I realise that this was somewhat later in the '60s, otherwise Van Morrison would score really high on my list!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

silverfox103

Reaction score
Female: Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul

Male: Bobby Vee, who recently died of alzheimers disease

In those days, there wasn't a sharp divide between country and rock / pop music. Tammy Wynette and Ray Charles, the "genius", as he was called, were as big as they get and played on rock stations. Today they probably would be mainly on country station. Dusty Springfied, she was a powerhouse, who left her estate to her cat, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

deebeewhy

Reaction score
Tom in Vegas, you raise a really interesting point, about which I happen to have an opinion. To my mind, the 60s began in late 1963 with a well-known and harrowing event. Until then, the vibe and sensibilities of the 50s were uninterrupted. The 60s ended in August 1974, when Nixon resigned (or maybe 6 months later when Saigon fell). Until then, peace/love/sex/drugs/rock 'n roll were uninterrupted. While I'm at it, the 80s began when lame duck Jimmy Carter was replaced by Reagan in Jan. '81. My two cents!

refret

Reaction score
Yes, I have had the opinion for a very long time that the innocence of a generation was shattered when shots rang out in Dallas in Nov. 1963......everything started to change, amplified by Vietnam and sex and drugs and rock and roll.....
Turning 17 in 1969 I guess I came of age right at the wrong or right time depending on how you look at it.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Male: Also known as the Mad Man from Macon, The Big O, The King of Soul, Mr. Otis Redding himself. "Dreams to Remember" is probably one of my Favorite songs of all time. Right up there with "Tramp", "These Arms of Mine", and "I've Been Loving You Too Long". I can put on an Otis Redding Album and just lose track of all time and space getting lost in the music and lyrics. The Legacy he left behind in such a short time is absolutely Amazing. Just imagine what he would have done if he hadn't been taken from this world at such an early age.

Female: Here it is a toss up, The two names at the top of my list are Janis Joplin and Mama Cass Elliot. The enormity of the influence they both had on music in general is amazing. Once again in each of their instances they both left this world too soon with so much more music left to give. One thing is for certain, There will never be another Janis and there will never be another Mama Cass.

TX

Last edited: